Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone Know What This Camera Is?

Camera

We went to Northampton over the weekend and on the A4500 (I think) by a retail park there was a traffic roundabout with these things mounted on. One was on top of the traffic lights facing oncoming cars and the other one on the other side of the roundabout was facing the traffic behind the lights. They're made by a company called CRS. I assume they're notr red light cameras as they're facing traffic and cannot see the lights were on red. I assume they're ANPR cameras. Does anyone live in Northampton and/or know for definite what these cameras are?

PS the photo I've posted shows a yellow one which I found on the internet. The ones I saw were grey but looked exactly the same.

Keith :)

Yeh think it is Keith, there used on most of the uk motorway network from what i know aswell but you dont notice them as there at the top of some of the towers along the motorways?

Bit of info on the system:

Project Laser in the United Kingdom

In March 2005, plans were announced to set up a nationwide system of over 2,000 automatic number plate recognition cameras in the United Kingdom.

This followed the successful rollout of Project Spectrum in which all 43 Police Forces in England and Wales were supplied by the Home Office with an ANPR capable mobile unit, and a 'Back Office'. A subsequent series of trials were then commenced in 2002 when the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) was given funding by the Home Office to work with the Police Standards Unit and develop "Project Laser" using the equipment supplied under Project Spectrum. With the aim of running the ANPR system nationwide, it was initially trialled by nine police forces and ran between 30 September 2002 and March 2003. Those police forces covered the areas of Greater Manchester, North Wales, Avon and Somerset, Northampton, London, Kent, West Yorkshire, Staffordshire and West Midlands

The second phase of the project ran between 1 June 2003 and 21 June 2004 and involved 23 police forces in total. The DVLA is also involved with Project Laser, using the system to gather details on unregistered and unlicensed vehicles and those without a valid MOT certificate or insurance cover.

"Eventually the database will link to most CCTV systems in town centres, meaning that all vehicles filmed on one of the many cameras protecting Bedford High Street, for instance, can be checked against the database and the movements of wanted cars traced to help with serious crime investigations."

— Bedfordshire Police

The project was seen as a success despite a Home Office report showing that the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) trial had an error rate of up to 40%, with claims that the system was contributing

"…in excess of 100 arrests per officer per year – ten times the national average…"[6]

Further findings went on to show that the error rate dropped to 5% when infrared systems and more regular updates of information were used.

During the second phase of the project around 28 million number plates were spotted in total, with 1.1 million (3.9%) of these matching an entry in one of the databases. 180,543 vehicles were stopped (101,775 directly because of the ANPR system), leading to 13,499 arrests (7.5% of the total) and the issue of 50,910 fines (28.2%). 1,152 stolen vehicles (worth £7.5 million in total), £380,000 worth of drugs and £640,000 worth of stolen goods were also recovered. The primary goal of the second phase was, however, to see how well the costs of the ANPR system could be covered. The final conclusion was that less than 10% of the expenditure incurred was recouped, with the Home Office claiming that the failure of drivers to pay fines contributed to this low figure, and continued to recommend the system be deployed throughout the UK. Report (PDF)

Funding is now in place for the construction of the National ANPR Data Centre capable of holding 50 million ANPR reads per day, destined to form the basis of a vehicle movement database.[7]

There are now suggestions that the use of the network could be extended to catch drivers using mobile phones illegally, and those failing to wear seat belts.[8]

Big Brother Is Watching You? :D

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it is ANPR whilst it could be part of Project Laser, it could also be part of the County Council baselining and measurement against the congestion targets for the local transport plan and national indicator (NI) 167 measures, if the authority can show a enhancement in journey reliability and journey time, it can be rewarded by additional funding for other transport projects - this is big money to the LA's, it can be £1M+.

They use similar systems in a number of local authority areas, for example there is a PIPS system in Essex and Devon. Sometimes the LA systems supplement the Police systems for specific surveilance requests.

I called the company and the ones I saw are just ANPR for monitoring traffic in and out of the town. They serve no direct law enforcement (ie speed/traffic light offence) but alert the police to any potential criminal/uninsured/taxed etc cars.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links