Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is It Possible To Sell An Is200 At The Moment?

I only just got my IS200 Sport and love it, but I have a problem. No, the car is great, but I opted to sell my old car privately and am struggling. It's a late model MG ZS180, in the same tax band as the Lexus.

There's no way I'd put the Lexus up for sale unless it was the last resort, because I've really grown attached to it, but I can't keep both cars.

If I DID have to sell the Lexus would it sell? Or would it be just as much a struggle as selling the MG at the moment? My Lexus is a 54 plate so it's at the higher end of the IS200 price range.

Guess its like anything, if the price is right it will sell. Not a good time to sell if your after top bucks though.

I know what you mean. My thinking is that there's a bigger market for a Lexus than an MG though. The thing with the MG is it's a high performance car that's cheap to run, so they've always attracted people on a budget. And people on a budget aren't going to want 400+ a year VED. With a Lexus there might be people with a slightly higher budget for running costs.

Guess its like anything, if the price is right it will sell. Not a good time to sell if your after top bucks though.

I know what you mean. My thinking is that there's a bigger market for a Lexus than an MG though. The thing with the MG is it's a high performance car that's cheap to run, so they've always attracted people on a budget. And people on a budget aren't going to want 400+ a year VED. With a Lexus there might be people with a slightly higher budget for running costs.

..if you really, really 'wanted' a Lexus would you be put off by an extra £200 a year.?., obviously the price will drop as a result of the tax rise but hopefully most people will counter the tax rise against what they will make from the drop in price..lets be honest the IS200 is hardly a practical motor, people buy them because they want them and if you want something bad enough 200 notes isnt going to stop you getting it is it!

..if you really, really 'wanted' a Lexus would you be put off by an extra £200 a year.?., obviously the price will drop as a result of the tax rise but hopefully most people will counter the tax rise against what they will make from the drop in price..lets be honest the IS200 is hardly a practical motor, people buy them because they want them and if you want something bad enough 200 notes isnt going to stop you getting it is it!

But I can see the point on the MG, people buy them because they dont cost the earth to run. Guess people would be looking at other cars first in the lower tax band...

There is a big difference between "can I sell it ?" and "can I sell it for the price I have in mind ?"

Of course you can sell. At the moment it'll be a buyer's market though, so as has been said it's not the best time to sell if you want the top price. But you can sell anything, it's just that the price will have to be right.

No it's not possible! I have had mine on sale for about a month and still not much interest, it will be going on autotrader next month so will see then.

That's nothing! My MG has been on Autotrader, Pistonheads, and an MG forum for 4 weeks and not a single serious phone call.

But let me know how you get on with selling your IS, in case I have to do what I really don't want to do :(

That's nothing! My MG has been on Autotrader, Pistonheads, and an MG forum for 4 weeks and not a single serious phone call.

Would you consider lowering your price ? Sounds like it's priced too high. There are buyers out there. I bought my IS200 just a couple of weeks ago, and found a real bargain after shopping around in Auto Trader. There were some way-overpriced (IMHO) models out there, particularly (but not exclusively) from private sellers.

Would you consider lowering your price ? Sounds like it's priced too high. There are buyers out there. I bought my IS200 just a couple of weeks ago, and found a real bargain after shopping around in Auto Trader. There were some way-overpriced (IMHO) models out there, particularly (but not exclusively) from private sellers.

Price has already been lowered, but think I will have to slash it further, to be honest. I suppose you rarely get what you want selling privately. My IS200 was a bit of a bargain too compared to a lot of the prices out there. A Lexus dealer had a similar car to mine and wanted over 3k more!!!

I'll give ya £2k for the Lex and £1k for the MG. SOLD.

But for the price you wanted? Probably not!

Tell me about it. I have TWO Celicas and a Vitara to sell. And an R6 and a Mito (Motorbikes.) The Celicas have now both run out of MOT and Tax as it took so long, now I can't afford to fix them up, MOT and Tax them, meaning they are worth even less! Had them on this forum, the Celica forum, even fricken MySpace and not any interest!

Tell me about it. I have TWO Celicas and a Vitara to sell. And an R6 and a Mito (Motorbikes.) The Celicas have now both run out of MOT and Tax as it took so long, now I can't afford to fix them up, MOT and Tax them, meaning they are worth even less! Had them on this forum, the Celica forum, even fricken MySpace and not any interest!

Seems like it has to have a 1.4 diesel engine to sell these days.

I don't really think it's possible. I've tried a few times over the past few months. Mine's on an '05 plate and the best offer I've had for it is £6500 - no one seems to be interested.

I suppose the irony is the older pre 2001 cars are probably more sought after at the moment.

I'm afraid to say that I took exactly that approach when looking for one, i.e. only looked for ones pre-March 2001 to be on the safe side.

I can completely understand that. The crazy thing is though that we're now in turmoil really with the road tax, everyone has gone mad about it being applied to cars already on the road, so will that useless excuse for a Chancellor amend things in the November pre-budget announcements. It's just like how he messed up denying they were looking into stamp duty waivers, and now the housing market has ground to a halt too. Nice one, slick!

I suppose the irony is the older pre 2001 cars are probably more sought after at the moment.

I'm afraid to say that I took exactly that approach when looking for one, i.e. only looked for ones pre-March 2001 to be on the safe side.

same as myself, I just happend to land in pig muck and come out smelling of Jean Paul Gaultier as scorps21 was selling his as at the same time Iwas buying and it's 2000 with only 60k miles.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links