Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Inside Door Handle Release

The inside door release handle on my passenger's door seems to have been damaged by a previous owner, a lot of the silver coating has come off from the inside of it and it really needs replacing.

How hard a job is this to do ? And are the handles easy to come by ? I guess I could probably get one from a Lexus dealer or maybe on eBay.

With my lack of expertise I can just imagine taking it apart and finding it too difficult to get back together again ! :lol:

I can't speak for the IS200 specifically, but I've done this on other cars.

What I'd expect is:

Use a screwdriver to remove the cover over the screw on the door handle.

Undo the screw

The handle should now come free but don't put much force on it, try to look behind, where I'd imagine you'll see the door release rod, and a plastic clip which clips the door handle to the rod. You'll need to unclip the rod to free up the handle so it can be removed.

I've found on some cars the clip can be brittle so be careful you don't break it!

Thanks for the replies. Looking at the online manual I thought I'd struck lucky with the first step in disassembly of the door, but I see that's just removing the door handle bezel and not the handle itself.

Looks like I'd have to remove the door handle bezel, the electric window switches, the armrest, the door trim panel and only then can I remove the door handle. Is this right ? Looks a bit complicated to me, I'd worry that once I'd got all this apart that I wouldn't be able to get it back together properly.

Thanks for the replies. Looking at the online manual I thought I'd struck lucky with the first step in disassembly of the door, but I see that's just removing the door handle bezel and not the handle itself.

Looks like I'd have to remove the door handle bezel, the electric window switches, the armrest, the door trim panel and only then can I remove the door handle. Is this right ? Looks a bit complicated to me, I'd worry that once I'd got all this apart that I wouldn't be able to get it back together properly.

And have some bits left over :lol::lol: ,sorry but had to say it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links