Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Pay Per View

Rikos

Hello all,

I am a little bit annoyed. I luv watching sports and enjoy a variety of different ones but my favourites are football, rugby, boxing and athletics.

This may just be me but this year there is more an more football on setanta and not on sky? This means that while your paying £40 odd a month for sky you have to pay another £10 to watch football. This is really starting to annoy as it seems less money people have the more things we get charged for.

I am also a big fan of Amir Khan (although he is starting to turn more an more into Naseem Hamed) and all british boxing. I havent missed one of his fights yet although that is about to change as his next fight is now on sky pay per view and so to watch it you will have to pay £15 .... in your own hom!! :tsktsk:

They have even said that he will lose fans from this as not everyone is willing to pay when they are sat at home and i totaly agree that you shouldnt have to pay more money on top for something which you already pay for!!

I wouldnt be suprised that in 2012 the olympics will be on pay per view or sodding setanta!

Sorry to have a rant but when times are tough for the country as whole people seem to just start charging more and more .... this to me doesnt make sense!

Why cant ITV or BBC get some sport back..... yeah i know it's all about money and buying the rights for it but i'm sure they could if they wanted to.

I know some people will not agree with me but this is my opinion and i would rather be able to watch all the sport from home for FREE.

Setanta's now up to £14 a month! thats why i've just cancelled it. I'd happily pay say £7 for just setanta one but not £14 for Ar5ena1 tv and scouser TV.

I watch it through the internet now ;)

You have Pm

Stav

Setanta are doing a deal now.

Setanta box £25 and its free for 3 months. So its really £8.33 a month then after that its £11 a month.

Premier matches + other sports +England qualifying matches and some FA cup. The way TV companies have got it all sewn up between them it leaves little option. Even if you go for full SKY package you will still have to pay out for the Setanta,

BBC have just given up because you HAVE to pay for thier licence just to switch your TV on! Whether or not you don't watch Eastenders!

My mate in Turkey gets full SKY package including ALL pay per views for £6 a month ( on a viewing card)

It's like anything else in this country we sit back and take it so they give it to us harder. We pay more for food,fuel.gas.electricity,cars,TV.

The exact same products or services are cheaper everywhere else and the reason is those people will rebel, we sit back and complain.

We sign petitions that do not even get air time in the Commons The reason being that the people who signed them did so while filling up thier tank with expensive fuel or were just on thier way out of the post office after paying thier road tax! We are the Nation thats sits around a table in a pub drinking VERY expensive lager discussing how badly treated we are by the Government and how they are taking the pi$$ with these prices and it's got to stop.

Er' excuse me love another6 pints when your'e ready. Er, where were we lads. Yea thats right putting the world to rights. The " Red Lion" Freedom Fighters!

We do what we are good at Ranting. Like I am now. King and country!!!!! As Jim Royle puts it " My Ar$e"

Rant over. (Until they paint a double yellow line in front of my house and I make a stand! Like," Excuse me mate but where do I queue up to pay for my parking permit") I've only been here ten years and I should really contribute. Should'nt I?

Stav there's no such thing as Scouser TV all LFC fans are from down south Norway and Ireland :lol:

Totally agree tho i'd rather pay per game and decide what I want to watch rather than monthly on top of Sky subscription.

Arent all yours from Wales

Ps you can park your car at mine if you wish when you move stadiums

It's got like it has because enough people are prepared to pay up. If more people took the attitude 'no, i'm not paying that much to watch TV' then prices would fall - it's simple supply and demand. Sports television isn't some kind of essential public service like drinking water; it's a luxury optional extra and if you want it, you're gonna have to pay for it.

Yes, of course the BBC could bid for football rights if it wanted to, but quite large sections of the public don't want to watch football, and they have to strike a balance. Chucking hundreds of millions at the Premiership would be stupid, especially considering that Sky Sports and Setanta have both amply demonstrated that those who want to watch football are, in large numbers, quite prepared to pay extra to do so. With Sky/Setanta armed with that kind of cash, which has been given to them specifically in order to provide sporting entertainment, then of course they are going to be able to outbid the BBC or ITV.

FWIW, I consider EastEnders a waste of licence-fee too, but at least it's cheap to make.

I wasnt suggesting that sport is a neccesity and that it should available like water but my point was everything used to be available for the money you pay for your tv licence and then for your sky subscription.

And it isnt just football i was saying should be available, i am pretty certain that most sports will soon be pay per view or an extra monthly charge.

I wasnt suggesting that sport is a neccesity and that it should available like water but my point was everything used to be available for the money you pay for your tv licence and then for your sky subscription.

And it isnt just football i was saying should be available, i am pretty certain that most sports will soon be pay per view or an extra monthly charge.

Sky Sports is already an extra monthly charge, and always has been. The only thing that's changed is that another company has bought some matches - but this is not the fault of the government, or the public, or Sky, or the BBC. Blame the Premiership for this, they are the ones being greedy by issuing the the rights in batches rather than as a single auction.

Ultimately, everything that happens in sports is down to the people who run that sport. That said, certain sports are protected and MUST be available on free-to-air. Off the top of my head, they are the Olympics/Paralympics, FA Cup Final, the Grand National, Rugby World Cup and no doubt several others I can't remember. So no danger of the 2012 Olympics going pay-per-view in Britain.

Sky Sports is already an extra monthly charge, and always has been.

Thats what i said, everything used to be available for the money that you paid for your tv licence and for your sky subscription. Then sky box office started having sporting events and then setanta.

I wasnt blaming the government as it has nothing to do with them and i know that the sports themselves have a say in where the matches get aired.

Sports have become far more business than entertainment

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links