Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Trouble Starting - Due To The Cold/damp Evenings!?

Daveuk

Hi all,

I have started having problems starting my IS in the evenings and some mornings just wondered if its a common fault/easy fix!? Through the summer it did it once every say 50 starts and turned over but didnt fire until you gave it some revs. I have been reading the forums and it seems this happens to a few people and its just one of thoes things.

However for the last 3 days when I leave my house in the evening (garaged) it starts fine but when I leave the gf's house at 11 it will not start until the 3rd turn with revs. Is getting a bit embarrising!

I have replaced the spark plugs and Battery in the last 2000k, any help will be appreciated. Its going in for a service at Lexus may see what they say but am dreading a big repair bill!!

im getting the same problem - like you said though its a bit intermittent, mostly it always starts on the first kick but sometimes is a bit of a bugger. I bought the prestige Battery with higher cranking amps etc which seemed to help a bit.

Does the coilpack need to be warmed a little with the accessories on before giving the starter a kick...?

I've had this problem for the past 2 Yrs. Just as you say, except if mine doesn't start first turn, it will always start on the third turn, never second turn...always start at third turn. Car could be cold or hot, makes no difference, happens roughly once to three times a month, really random, wet, dry day makes no difference. Posted this probem ages ago but no real solution, until now that is (well it worked for me), had the car in for a 70k mile service and told them to stick in set of denso ik20s in. I've never had the problem since and it's been 3 months now and never missed a beat. Maybe it's the plugs in my situation, maybe the mechanic done something during the service...who knows, but mine always starts now. Incase ur wondering yes it used to do it before the 60k mile service and still did it after the 60k mile service, and the service was done by Lexus, the 70k mile service was done by a garage on the same road as lexus, but 50% cheaper.

Mine used to do it lots but I put it down to colder weather making the oil thicker when it was 10-30w. Now using Amsoil 5-30w and it hasn't done it since. Got 40k on mine now

Just properly read VVProtocolVV's comments. Hot as well - doesn't sound like oil's the problem there then!

bizzare, I had a Battery fail recently. Bit of a strange one as I drove it 15mins to pick a friend up, then 15mins back parked up for 10mins with just radio on and went to start the car again and it had nothing :S ended up having to call a friend out to give me a jump. Thought this was a bit strange as I had no warnings of Battery from the display, Battery is on order and the car had a full charge and has been ok but is obviously weak.

• 1 month later...

hi, i also have this starting problem,mine does it when its hot or cold,but 80% of the time its when its cold would i be right then in thinking the problem could potentially be cured by changing the spark plugs.

i had a major service last january(08),would the spark plugs off been changed in this service??

i had a major service last january(08),would the spark plugs off been changed in this service??

Probably not. The plugs are supposed to be changed every 60K miles if you're using the standard OEM type, which are long-life plugs. Could well be worth checking the last time they were changed (possibly phoning previous servicing garages to check if you haven't had the car that long but do have a stamped service book).

The Denso IK20s are what I've recently installed too, though they don't last as long and will need changing more often.

Sometimes mine won't start on the first turn, but always starts on the second. It's rare though and in fact hasn't done it for ages despite it getting a lot colder.

It's not down to temperature or anything like that, in fact I can't seem to find a pattern to it.

I've wondered about spark plugs too.

Hi all,

I have started having problems starting my IS in the evenings and some mornings just wondered if its a common fault/easy fix!? Through the summer it did it once every say 50 starts and turned over but didnt fire until you gave it some revs. I have been reading the forums and it seems this happens to a few people and its just one of thoes things.

However for the last 3 days when I leave my house in the evening (garaged) it starts fine but when I leave the gf's house at 11 it will not start until the 3rd turn with revs. Is getting a bit embarrising!

I have replaced the spark plugs and battery in the last 2000k, any help will be appreciated. Its going in for a service at Lexus may see what they say but am dreading a big repair bill!!

[/quote

had the same problem with mines. But since i cleaned the throttle body with some injecter cleaner problem havnt occured since even when its really cold..

I've had this problem for the past 2 Yrs. Just as you say, except if mine doesn't start first turn, it will always start on the third turn, never second turn...always start at third turn. Car could be cold or hot, makes no difference, happens roughly once to three times a month, really random, wet, dry day makes no difference. Posted this probem ages ago but no real solution, until now that is (well it worked for me), had the car in for a 70k mile service and told them to stick in set of denso ik20s in. I've never had the problem since and it's been 3 months now and never missed a beat. Maybe it's the plugs in my situation, maybe the mechanic done something during the service...who knows, but mine always starts now. Incase ur wondering yes it used to do it before the 60k mile service and still did it after the 60k mile service, and the service was done by Lexus, the 70k mile service was done by a garage on the same road as lexus, but 50% cheaper.

I'm just wondering whether the non-lexus garage disconnected the Battery for some reason thereby rebooting the ecu. Just a theory.

Mine used to do it lots but I put it down to colder weather making the oil thicker when it was 10-30w. Now using Amsoil 5-30w and it hasn't done it since. Got 40k on mine now

Just properly read VVProtocolVV's comments. Hot as well - doesn't sound like oil's the problem there then!

off topic

where can you get amsiol here in UK? im new around and dont know much around the area

I'm just wondering whether the non-lexus garage disconnected the Battery for some reason thereby rebooting the ecu. Just a theory.

They didn't disconnect the Battery as all my radio station was still in memory (after market stereo) and the time was correct when i got in the car. Also on the service sheet they cleaned out the fuel filter. Maybe it's been collecting the dirt at the bottom of the tank, because i do only fill up half way each week and by the end of the week it's towards the last line in the fuel gauge. Either way i believe the spark plugs cured the problem, expensive but it gives me the piece of mind knowing i know it will start when people are with you in the car lol.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links