Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Malfunction Indicator Lamp/ Is200

Whilst travelling home after a long journey, I became aware that the Engine Malfunction Indicator lamp had illuminated (the orange engine shaped one above the fuel gauge) I had a quick look under the bonnet but couldn't see anything wrong. I travelled the remaining 30 miles or so to my home address, but didn't notice anything wrong with the engine. The hand book states that you should take the car to a Lexus dealer...

Anyone else suffered this problem? :whistling:

You'll need a code reader matey, most garages have them and can read the codes for you or you can buy an OBD11 code reader from eBay for little expense and read them yourself with a laptop with software that you can download for free from the internet,

There is a list of codes that Stav and Bazza posted on the site to tell you what the codes mean, :)

An example of a stand-alone OBDII reader is this one, which as you can see is only £30. You may well pay more than that for a garage to plug in their own reader and tell you what's wrong. As has been said, you can look up the codes on these forums and also get advice from the knowledgeable folks on here as to what might be causing the code.

If you've got a laptop then it will be even cheaper, you can get a USB-connected OBDII thingy from eBay for a few pounds.

An example of a stand-alone OBDII reader is this one, which as you can see is only £30. You may well pay more than that for a garage to plug in their own reader and tell you what's wrong. As has been said, you can look up the codes on these forums and also get advice from the knowledgeable folks on here as to what might be causing the code.

If you've got a laptop then it will be even cheaper, you can get a USB-connected OBDII thingy from eBay for a few pounds.

I finally got around to taking my is200 to the Lexus dealer in Norwich. They located the Malfunction Engine Light problem to be code P0420. CAT BELOW EFFICIENCY.

The garage recalibrated the tolerance band and re-set the system.

The mechanic asked me whether I only complete short journeys in my car (answer being 'yes')

He diagnosed the problem to be too many short runs, thus preventing the CAT from getting to an optimum working temperature. He was sure that this was the fault because my system contained water/dampness, and as such came up as a fault when the water was eventually moved.

I note that my printout reads run time 267 secs @ 81 degrees.

Does anyone think that their explanation makes sense?

Sounds reasonable.

stav do you think this will be the cause of my problems? david how many miles do you drive average daily? do you let the car warm up first and for how long or do you drive it straight from getting in?

could getting a decat solve these problems also can you take the cat out of the HKS silent hipower jobbie?

No, getting de-cat will not solve your problem, the sensor works by telling the ecu what coming out of the exhaust, add more fuel, add less fuel, if the sensor is fooked, then it will send the wrong message to the ecu, on the other side, if you have something wrong somewhere else, just say your cat is not working as it should, then the sensor will tell the ecu that it has found a fault, you should be able to tell which one by diagnostic machine, as the machine can read the sensor working within its normal scale :D

Hope this helps

No, getting de-cat will not solve your problem, the sensor works by telling the ecu what coming out of the exhaust, add more fuel, add less fuel, if the sensor is fooked, then it will send the wrong message to the ecu, on the other side, if you have something wrong somewhere else, just say your cat is not working as it should, then the sensor will tell the ecu that it has found a fault, you should be able to tell which one by diagnostic machine, as the machine can read the sensor working within its normal scale :D

Hope this helps

I paid £55.81p for the infomation provided. In relation to distance travelled, unfortunately I only start the car up and drive no more than 2 miles to my destination. According to the Lexus sevice person, the CAT hardly gets warm, and with the recent rain /damp weather I can only assume that water has become logged in the CAT.

The guy also advised me that I barely go above 3,300 rpm, and suggested I gun it through the gears more than I have done.(lol)

• 2 months later...

Since I my cars Engine Malfunction light came on some months back, my confidence at driving any distance has suffered. Whilst I know that the warning was code P0420. CAT BELOW EFFICIENCY, and Lexus have removed the apparent fault, I still dread driving any distance.

Whilst this is a confidence 'thing', I have to travel some 500 miles next weekend. I keep thinking that the fault will re occur, or am I worrying too much.?

^^^ what he said .....don't worry, enjoy the drive (which you will learn to appreciate the lex even more as you will feel fresh as a daisy when you arrive.

It's a car at the end of the day...lots more important things to worry about if you like worrying ;p

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links