Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bizarre Wi-fi Problem

Parthiban

I have one PC that is connected to my wireless network using a USB wifi adapter (Netgear WPN111 to be precise) and I had no problems with it for a long time with Windows XP.

However, I recently cleared the hard drive and started again, and in the process installed Windows Vista instead. I downloaded the Vista driver from the Netgear website and I've been having a really weird problem.

Every so often (and by this I mean at least once a day, sometimes more) the USB adapter just stops being recognised by the computer and it loses it's network connection. I've tried unplugging the USB and plugging it back in but this makes no difference, only a reboot fixes it. The other thing is that when this happens, I cannot open the Netgear Smart Wizard either - it flashes up on screen for a second and then disappears.

The final weird thing is that the USB adapter never shows up in the "safely remove hardware" list - is that right?

Has anyone got any idea what's going on here?

Yep that's a fair point, but I've had no other problems with Vista so don't want to switch back - I don't mind having to buy another network card but I'd like to try and find out what's going on with this one before I do, especially as it's supposed to work with Vista...............

XP= Worked

Vista= Doesn't work

You figure it out mate! ;)

*runs away*

Yawn...... very helpful.

Just like the apple issue a while ago. (10.4.10 I'm sure you know all about it.). I had it myself. An update fixed it.

Vista is crap with wireless. It goes ok with correctly written drivers though. Checked for latest driver updates for the wireless card?

And before you tell me how crap Vista is, I know - I hate it.

Has issues initially when setting up new laptop and PC which now run Vista, after a couple of weeks all settled down and no problems since.

Vista is crap with wireless. It goes ok with correctly written drivers though. Checked for latest driver updates for the wireless card?

Hmmm, yep I've got the latest driver, what I've just noticed though is that they actually have my exact symptom in the troubleshooting area HERE which doesn't fill me with confidence, sounds like a regular problem............

Might just buy a new (PCI) wireless card and be done with it then staying completely away from Netgear this time.............

Btw, as a "normal" PC user I really like Vista, had no problems with XP or Vista (other than this), and Vista is running smoother and quicker on my machine (and probably even better when I add a bit more RAM) and it has a much nicer UI. Obviously I'm just a novice but for what I need, Vista is fine :blush:

have you tried running a windows update by any chance? also check that your bios is upto date.

Ah thats what fixed mine! Forgot!

lol. I've seen it happen a lot with new systems and vista and thats normally the common fix. bios update and windows update. it basically always boils down to a form of driver issue even tho the user may have installed the latest drivers for the device already. I work in IT btw ;)

just another possibilty- it's not a power saving issue is it?

Some power profiles (or bios setting) can power down the usb port or networking if they think it's not being used

Had the issue with a load of dell laptops at work- profile was set up by default to kill network cards if not plugged in

Could be timing out?

XP= Worked

Vista= Doesn't work

You figure it out mate! ;)

*runs away*

My Airport in my old apple G5 iMac never worked.......That was with Tiger OS X which was far better than Leopard.

How about something constructive?

Google "Tongue in cheek"

*rolls eyes*

Offtopic: Tiger was "better" than Leopard? Start a new thread if you want to find out why that is utter nonsense. :)

Makes no odds now, as my airport never worked. I was just stating that even apple products fail....regardless as to how blind you are to see them.

Most people have mentioned drivers....

Have you checked for latest versions of chipset and host bus drivers plus BIOS.

Usually what happens when installing a new OS is that if a the correct driver for the system (not wireless card) is not located then vista and XP install the a driver it thinks that's best. So you may be running the correct drivers for the wireless card but the not the for the hardware.

a good example would be default graphics drivers. It might be the case that you have generic drivers installed that run the hardware but not correctly.

I had a simular issue when I upgraded to vista....

Lots of things don't work quite as nicely with Vista as the driver model and network stacks were completely re-written. But then XP came out 7 years ago, so not surprising really that things have changed.

If the Netgear forums suggestions don't work, my tip would be to have a look on a big PC manufacturer's website to find out what wireless cards come fitted with laptops which come with Vista to start with. Then look for a replacement wireless card based on one of those chipsets, since it will then definitely be supported by Vista.

Mark W's suggestion on the power saving sounds very plausible as well, especially if it always works for about the same amount of time. If that is the case, then running the adapter through a USB hub (which sucks some power and so the PC would keep it active) would probably solve the issue for you.

Thanks for all the replies, I did originally think it might be the power saving issue (as the box was ticked in the settings) but that didn't fix it either.

I did just do the SP1 upgrade and that made things a little worse as first it wouldn't even connect anymore, plus my PC thinks there's no audio device anymore :wacko:

Anyway, having discovered the Netgear forums, it appears that there are hundreds of people who have the same issue, but for them it's with XP as well, not just vista so there is a clear problem with the drivers that Netgear is failing to fix...........

However, using advice of some members on there, I've completely removed everything and just installed the ndis driver and then connected using windows networking...............all seems fine at the moment but let's wait and see over the next few days :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links