Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Police Warning

Chris.S

This comes from Staffordshire Police but really it goes out to everyone who post an image of their car where ever it may be

Warning over car adverts

Wednesday, October 08, 2008, 09:20

MOTORISTS selling their cars are being urged to disguise the vehicle's number plate on photographs for advertisements.

Police issued the warning after gathering evidence which shows travelling criminals are looking through newspapers, magazines and on the internet for details of number plates.

They say the criminals then steal a car matching the make and model of the vehicle for sale.

After stealing the vehicle the criminals create false number plates matching the ones displayed, and create a cloned vehicle before using it to carry out crimes.

Detective Chief Inspector Mark Hurst, of Staffordshire Police's Chase Division, said: "I urge motorists advertising their vehicle to ensure the number plate is blacked out on the photograph.

"Unfortunately, we have information that a team of criminals may carry out this type of offence within the division."

i use to think this when i posted pics up of my car in general, but when advertising on autotrader i did not blank it out. mainly because it puts me off buying a car and all it takes is one phone call, "i'd like to run an insurance quote, can i have the number plate".

i've used that in the past myself.

Also, I know its perhaps easier for these scum to look on the internet - but Ive thought about it before - and I openly drive around displaying my number plate to everyone and when my car is sitting on my drive.

I was infact subjected to someone nicking my number plates off my previous car (on my drive at night) as they had stolen a car of the same type and colour. They had even gone to the trouble of fixing the stolen vehicles number plates back onto my car - I guess in the hope I wouldnt notice - but they had done that badly the front one fell off as I pulled away from my drive.

They had obviously just driven around until they found a similar car.

Have the police really not got the intelligence to realise the criminals don't need to look on the internet, autotrader for cars for sale? They just need to look in the street or car parks. Now if you are talking about rare cars then maybe but generally I don't think it matters.

Bang goes my k2dul.com site then :lol:

Criminal will always find a way if they want to. Unless its a Aston Martin or car alike then most cars are pretty common and can spot number plates from any direction. Thanks for the warning though chef.

the number plate law is also due to change

it will now be illegal to sell dodgy plates even if they are for show purposes or not even going on a car !

dont they realise with the internet we can just buy them from Ireland or wherever else outside the UK who want to make them

all they are effectively doing is putting UK firms out of work

the criminals must be laughing at them ....again

Yeah but possibly a secret handshake/brown envelope from the man at the legal number plate company for the civil servant

& a quick word in the Minister/MP's ear is all it takes :winky:

They call them lobbyists, but we all know what they are.....that is the way things get done in Government I'm afraid to say,

not just in corrupt countries but closer to home too.

IMO most MP's/Ministers are not in power to serve, but in power to serve themselves :o

(rant over)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links