Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Lexus have released some new DVD updates - for owners of the Mk3 GS (and possibly other later models like the RX400H) it looks like upgrading is worthwhile as the lockout of the sat nav system whilst on the move has been removed:

http://www.lexus-mapupdates.eu/

Click on FAQ to see if your system is updated.

I don't think this was available before as it's one of the most common queries on the forum - I presume the systems are the same for the LS430 Mk2 and IS250? Why they can't enable it for older cars though - it can't be that difficult if they can do it on the new ones..

It's been a long time coming but I'm really glad they've finally done it.........

It's a shame it's just for the newer cars, looks like it's for 3rd gen navigation systems (based on the fact the replacement disc for my car has X01 in it, and the one that has this upgrade is X03)

I apologise if I am being a bit thick here, but why would anyone need to input anything to the satnav whilst driving? Surely one enters the relevant info before setting off. If anything needs to be altered it wouldn't be the end of the world to pull in to make any alterations. I think it should be disabled whilst driving from a safety aspect. The argument that the passenger could use the facility to enable changes doesn't really wash either as there will always be someone who thinks they are clever enough to be able to concentrate on driving whilst inputting info into the satnav.

While I do agree with you, there are no restrictions on other cars, so I don't really see the point of just Lexus and Toyota drivers being restricted, as those in BMWs and Mercs can still program their satnavs while moving.............

Strangely though for an 'improved update' they appear to have removed over 104,000 petrol stations or 68% less than there were before !!

Work that one out? Obviously if you're driving in a unknown area (or indeed a different country) that sort of information is not going to be important to you at all. However, knowing where the local school obviously is since they have added over 10,000 of those !! :tsktsk:

The Ed

Strangely though for an 'improved update' they appear to have removed over 104,000 petrol stations or 68% less than there were before !!

Work that one out? Obviously if you're driving in a unknown area (or indeed a different country) that sort of information is not going to be important to you at all. However, knowing where the local school obviously is since they have added over 10,000 of those !! :tsktsk:

The Ed

Interesting, for my car there's a 6% increase, but for later cars it's a 68% decrease!

Weird thing is though, using London as an example (especially South London) petrol stations are closing by the second. I remember last year, my brother almost ran out of petrol trying to find a station using his satnav as they were all closed down!

I do think 68% can't be accurate, but I'm sure 30% decrease might actually be an accurate figure :whistling:

It doesn't mention anything about removal of the 'I agree' screen, another thing that BMC and Merc taxi owners don't have to put up with. Rather annoyed by this update since I only took delivery of my new GS 7 days ago. Mind you I haven't checked the version it's got, I'm not sure how you do this! Ah, tells you on the web page I see...

Have spoken to Lexus today.......

Beware if you are ordering the 'new' DVD's.

Firstly - The o8 versions (Which have the firmware update to allow changes while on the move) are not out until the end of this month

Secondly - Lexus are very likely to sell the old versions first (to rid them of old stock) before you can actually order an 08 version !! :tsktsk:

Keep checking the website at regular intervals.

The Ed

While I do agree with you, there are no restrictions on other cars, so I don't really see the point of just Lexus and Toyota drivers being restricted, as those in BMWs and Mercs can still program their satnavs while moving.............

Then maybe Lexus should not be following their lead. As I said, why the need to program whilst driving. If an accident should occur,possibly a fatality, as a result of programming whilst driving, could you really think it was worth it for the dubious ability to use your satnav in a totally unneccessary way and say "but BMW & Mercs can do this?"

Maybe the answer is to it and remove the ability to do so in ALL marques. If it is just Toyota/Lexus drivers being restricted then it does at least mean that YOU will not have to live with any consequences of programming whilst on the move.

Beware if you are ordering the 'new' DVD's.

Probably best to order off that website, that way you don't have to worry about it and I think it's cheaper than a dealer too :)

Maybe the answer is to it and remove the ability to do so in ALL marques. If it is just Toyota/Lexus drivers being restricted then it does at least mean that YOU will not have to live with any consequences of programming whilst on the move.

Yep I agree with that too, if it was simply something that was banned, then it would be fine, but using the current position I'd rather be able to do it than not as I've had several occasions where I've had to change destination where it could have easily been done by a passenger but needed to pull over for because of the lockout (well until I discovered the hack anyway! :whistling: )

I've just extracted the current DVD from my new GS. Nothing on it resembles the part numbers on that Lexus Europe site. It's a black disk 'Europe West E11'. At the bottom it says 2008-9 Ver 1, and the part numbers appear to be 86271-0w061 and 86271-60w361. The other DVDs in the box covering other parts of Europe are the same. I get the black 'I agree' screen. From the FAQ, it would appear that the black screen version does allow changes while driving.

Edit: just noticed that if you go to the get a new disk part, that 86271 part number does exist. But the other numbers aren't recognised, so I suppose my disks are indeed the new ones.

Then maybe Lexus should not be following their lead. As I said, why the need to program whilst driving. If an accident should occur,possibly a fatality, as a result of programming whilst driving, could you really think it was worth it for the dubious ability to use your satnav in a totally unneccessary way and say "but BMW & Mercs can do this?"

It's not so much to program whilst driving it's if you need to go somewhere else - for example to be able to select destinations in the history section would be useful - i.e. like you can select home. That would be two or three button presses and shouldn't be too dangerous. I agree full input of a new place should be restricted as that is dangerous.

Is it true that in the latest cars you can input addresses by voice? I read it on a US site somewhere, but not sure if it's just a US thing. Apparently it is started by giving the command "address" through the voice system..........

I've just extracted the current DVD from my new GS. Nothing on it resembles the part numbers on that Lexus Europe site. It's a black disk 'Europe West E11'. At the bottom it says 2008-9 Ver 1, and the part numbers appear to be 86271-0w061 and 86271-60w361. The other DVDs in the box covering other parts of Europe are the same. I get the black 'I agree' screen. From the FAQ, it would appear that the black screen version does allow changes while driving.

Edit: just noticed that if you go to the get a new disk part, that 86271 part number does exist. But the other numbers aren't recognised, so I suppose my disks are indeed the new ones.

Buongiorno,

can you be so kindly to check if in the east europe disk is also the Romania comprised?

ciao e mille grazie

Buongiorno,

can you be so kindly to check if in the east europe disk is also the Romania comprised?

ciao e mille grazie

Bucharest is visible if I load the East Europe DVD, so I would assume so, though I don't know how detailed the roads in the area are.

Buongiorno,

ciao e mille grazie

Bucharest is visible if I load the East Europe DVD, so I would assume so, though I don't know how detailed the roads in the area are.

OK, Thanks a lot!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links