Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Exhaust Vs Arbs

I'm trying to decide whether to invest some money into either a new rear exhaust (HKS Silent Hi-Power) or some new ARBs.

They will cost me around the same (although I'm guessing perhaps a bit more work to fit the ARBs ?).

Now the exhaust is something that will look nice on the car, although isn't going to make much difference when I drive it (slightly different exhaust note and maybe a fraction more bhp but barely noticeable I guess). I'm not looking for a loud exhaust, hence the one I've picked.

The ARBs will be the opposite, i.e. they're not going to be a visible change at all. But judging from previous threads on the subject, I think I will notice a big difference when going around corners.

What do you reckon ?

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was already leaning towards the ARBs, and you're confirming that this is the best way to go.

Now, which ARBs ? I'm thinking of perhaps the C-One ARBs, which seem to come with new bushes. Judging by some past threads, people seem to speak highly of the TRD yellows, but these are pretty hard to come by (poss from Japan ?), or alternatively the Hotchkis (from the US). Not sure if it's really worth the hassle of trying to import something, will either of these likely to be noticeably different to the C-Ones ? I'm only driving on the road after all, not a race track.

Well i've got some C-One ARBs on order from Dave Ellen and have upgraded my exhaust. I can tell you in a few weeks which ones were the best bang for buck. But i think everyone on here has the right answer. I'm just hoping i feel the same way after mine are fitted- i'm sure i will!

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was already leaning towards the ARBs, and you're confirming that this is the best way to go.

Now, which ARBs ? I'm thinking of perhaps the C-One ARBs, which seem to come with new bushes. Judging by some past threads, people seem to speak highly of the TRD yellows, but these are pretty hard to come by (poss from Japan ?), or alternatively the Hotchkis (from the US). Not sure if it's really worth the hassle of trying to import something, will either of these likely to be noticeably different to the C-Ones ? I'm only driving on the road after all, not a race track.

Well i've got some C-One ARBs on order from Dave Ellen and have upgraded my exhaust. I can tell you in a few weeks which ones were the best bang for buck. But i think everyone on here has the right answer. I'm just hoping i feel the same way after mine are fitted- i'm sure i will!

The TRD yellows they dont make anymore i believe but apparently are **** hot.

I personally have the C-one one's and i'd certainly rate them well.

Sites with TRD ARBs typically show blue ones, e.g. here

I suspect this is a generic picture rather than something specific to Altezza/IS200. But does anyone know if TRD did make different ARBs in different colours ? e.g. are the ones on the site actually likely to be yellow, or are the blue ones a different spec ? Looking at the spec of them on the site (front 49% stiffer, rear 99% stiffer), they don't sound so stiff compared to some others.

Sites with TRD ARBs typically show blue ones, e.g. here

I suspect this is a generic picture rather than something specific to Altezza/IS200. But does anyone know if TRD did make different ARBs in different colours ? e.g. are the ones on the site actually likely to be yellow, or are the blue ones a different spec ? Looking at the spec of them on the site (front 49% stiffer, rear 99% stiffer), they don't sound so stiff compared to some others.

Just out of intrest....how much are the blue one's Steve ?

I'm trying to find that out. The ones advertised on Greenline (blue in the picture) have a price in Yen which translates to £286, though that doesn't include shipping (or any VAT and customs charges). Haven't tried too hard to find them in the US yet.

I'm trying to find that out. The ones advertised on Greenline (blue in the picture) have a price in Yen which translates to £286, though that doesn't include shipping (or any VAT and customs charges). Haven't tried too hard to find them in the US yet.

Thats about the same price as the yellow one's (in Japan)

Hotchkis aren't so cheap once you have to add on possible shipping costs (plus possible customs, VAT etc, which I imagine for a large package are most likely to be added on).

I'd also be a bit concerned whether it's possible for them to be "too" stiff, e.g. in the event of hitting a pothole or a speed bump with just one wheel ?

Hotchkis aren't so cheap once you have to add on possible shipping costs (plus possible customs, VAT etc, which I imagine for a large package are most likely to be added on).

I'd also be a bit concerned whether it's possible for them to be "too" stiff, e.g. in the event of hitting a pothole or a speed bump with just one wheel ?

stiffer the better mate!! trust me, they are the nuts.

regards shipping....i brought mine back with me :lol::lol: as luggage!! i'm heading over in novemebr too....wonder what goodies i might come back with this time B) :shifty:

Hotchkis aren't so cheap

stiffer the better mate!! trust me, they are the nuts.

No downsides to having them very stiff ? I realise that the ARBs purpose is for going round corners, but what about single wheel bumps ? Have you noticed anything ?

regards shipping....i brought mine back with me :lol::lol: as luggage!! i'm heading over in novemebr too....wonder what goodies i might come back with this time B) :shifty:

Yeah, I saw the old thread on that when searching on the subject. Lucky so and so ! :D I used to go back and forwards to the US quite a lot, but not for quite a few years now.

mate there are some horrible roads around here and they are fine with bumps etc. no horrible teeth shattering experiences, lol.

i'd say any set you go for will be good, its just how much of a difference you want. the hotchkiss ARBs have 2 stiffness settings, so you can adjust to your style. Best of both worlds i guess mate.

they really are a great mod and i'd say, second to the supercharger, the best mod i've made to the car.....

I made a few enquiries, and spoke to L-Tuned in the US, who are selling the Hotchkis ARBs for $299. Trouble is, shipping is $349 which brings it up to around £385 (cheaper than the price on eBay that I can see). That's before any VAT/customs/handling charges.

I did ask if they could do a quantity discount and basically they said no, because the price was already discounted. Similarly they couldn't do much with the shipping to reduce it for multiple purchases either.

So I can't see that a Group Buy would really be worthwhile on these.

Think I'm leaning towards the C-Ones. I appreciate everyone's input so far :D

i'll dig out the name and address of the chap i bought mine from in the US. didn't pay much over $220 IIRC. L-tuned are expensive mate, stay away from them if i was you.

problem with the c-one ARBs is they cost A LOT!! IIRC they could ship the hotchkiss one's over for about $100 - so about $350 all in..........which is about £240ish.

ur shout at the end of the day mate, and as i said, u won't go wrong with either reputable manufacturer, just a case of how much wonga/hassle you want and whether its worth it in ur opinion fella. persevere with it and u'll get the best deal mate.

rob

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links