Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Resealing Headlights.....part 2

Cous3

Recently I split some headlight and sprayed them, unfortunately one started to let in condensation, so before I fitted my new HID's I took the headlight out and had another go. This time I used one of my original lights, I put it in the oven for 15 minutes at 100 degrees and pulled it apart quite easily. Then I started to push the grey glue back down into the groove with a screwdriver to get an even spread all around the light, something I didn't do last time. I kept putting it back into the oven to keep the glue soft as I worked. Also I cleaned up the lens once the glue left on it had cooled and hardened, for this my Dremmell made light work. Worth noting here is the light are not air tight, but have 3 small sponges accessed from the rear of the light via small hatches. The ones in my headlight were a bit shabby and so I made some of my own up and replaced them.

To reseal the light I put only the back part into the oven for 15 mins to get the glue really soft, then pushed the lens back into place, ensuring all the tabs relocated.

A few pics:

342862754.jpg

342862802.jpg

342862760.jpg

342862782.jpg

342862824.jpg

342867895.jpg

Keith

Wozza..............

Oven was at 100 degrees.

Yes, pre heat the oven, then headlight goes in for 15 mins when at correct temp.

Yes, my oven is fan assisted.

100 degrees isn't too hot, even after 15 mins you can still touch the light, but do keep checking, say at 10 mins into it. Don't let the light touch the oven sides, although I just placed mine on the internal oven rack and was okay.

It kind of made sense to me to only put the back part back into the oven before resealing to melt the glue, also the lens at normal room temp doesn't flex and so seemed to go in better.

I don't know if the sponge parts I took out are "special", but they seemed pretty ordinary to me, plus they were kind of brittle like sponge goes when old. So I cut up a new sponge, the kind you wash up with that have a scouer one side, not the really cheapo ones (20 for a £1...lol).......I used "Spontex" from Sainsburys, 2 for under a quid, they are just a better quality sponge.

Keith

Nice one Keith, I asked on behalf of other members so they had an idea as to what to do :)

So are the sponges there to act as breathers somehow or for some other reason ?

just for breathing, the fogs have short rubber pipes :)

Surely they don't do that good a job if condensation builds up......

its like inside the the car or home cold outside, warm inside causes condensation as the car bulbs get hot.

probs with splitting lights is they need sealing good to stop water leaking inside causing even more condensation

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Wozza..............

Oven was at 100 degrees.

Yes, pre heat the oven, then headlight goes in for 15 mins when at correct temp.

Yes, my oven is fan assisted.

Please dont laugh, my wife does all the cooking,

Whats the temp with gas, 1 To 9 ?

Gas mark 1 is 140 degrees.

:lol:

Spot who does more cooking between you two :P

I've only ever used my oven once in three years and that was to cook a pizza :D

Gas mark 1 is 140 degrees.

:lol:

Spot who does more cooking between you two :P

I've only ever used my oven once in three years and that was to cook a pizza :D

PMSL, even i know you bake a pizza, you dont cook a pizza :D

ok ive been doing the same with my headlights only i found an old post saying 7minutes at 250c, my driver side was ok was a big struggle to prize apart and wow theres alot of glue on them the second went totaly wrong and melted after only 5minutes :o

so if u know where i can get a nearside front light plz plz plz let me know if not looks like will have to wait till monday and go main dealer !

so a note for first timers keep checking !!! and yes my oven was fan assisted :crybaby:

ok ive been doing the same with my headlights only i found an old post saying 7minutes at 250c, my driver side was ok was a big struggle to prize apart and wow theres alot of glue on them the second went totaly wrong and melted after only 5minutes :o

Are you sure it didn't just say 250 degrees and it meant Farenheit (bearing in mind the Americans use Farenheit) ? :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links