Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Need Replacment Manifold/pre-cats

Hi All,

My car only just passed it's emmisions test at it's last MOT in June. I have had it tested again today with a local mechanic to double check what Toyota said was correct, and now its even worse, now it would fail. :( From what I understand the pre-cats are in/part of the 'Manifold' I am not 100% on this as my knowledge on cars is zero really.

I am skint so need to look for a second hand part. Any ideas on a good place to find one for a reasonable price? I dont really want to go down the breakers yard route, but it might be my only option.

So if anyone on here knows a good place to get hold of a second hand Manifold please let me know.

Cheers.

Mike.

OK if you can wait the WHOLE front part of my exhaust system will be coming of my car in 2 weeks so this will give you the manifold and main CATS. I have no idea as to how much they are worth, someone on here may well have a good idea though!!

The emisions were fine when it was last MOT'd.

OK if you can wait the WHOLE front part of my exhaust system will be coming of my car in 2 weeks so this will give you the manifold and main CATS. I have no idea as to how much they are worth, someone on here may well have a good idea though!!

The emisions were fine when it was last MOT'd.

I did speak to someone that had just sold one for £40, just my luck to have missed it!

Mike.

Loads of memebers with S/C have their pre cats removed, I myself would like this doing to. Im lead to believe that it should still pass but just get the cars zaust system hot. Id be surprised if yours has gone, likely to be the main cat.

Another thing to bear in mind is the o2 sensors I think - a faulty one of those can cause it to fail emissions tests I think?

Something to bear in mind if the cat doesn't sort it - what sort of milage / age is the car?

The Car is a 1999 T Reg has about 118,000 miles on it. IS200 Sport.

It was Toyota that told me that it only just passed by 0.1 that was in June last year at it's MOT. They said it was the pre-cats that needed replacing. I have taken it to a local mechanic today he has tested it and said that it doesnt pass any longer. He agreed that it was probably the pre-cats telling me that they normally go first.

I have no idea, not really knowing anything about cars. But I cant afford to spend dosh on a part, delivery and fitting if it isnt the problem. Is there a way to be sure thats easy to check? Not sure my mechanic will be trying lots of different possibilities without charging me for his time obviously.

Mike.

Another thing to bear in mind is the o2 sensors I think - a faulty one of those can cause it to fail emissions tests I think?

Something to bear in mind if the cat doesn't sort it - what sort of milage / age is the car?

I always thought the precats were just there to work when the car is first turned on and while the main cat is brought up to temperature - would be interesting to see what your car reads on the emissions when it's sat there for a minute or two with the revs kept up as in theory if the main cat was ok it should pass the emissions tests in those circumstances?

A dodgy o2 should throw an engine light but have to admit just replaced mine and it's working totally differently now to the old one - thing was it never threw an engine light before and I'd got a dodgy o2 sensor as well as a dodgy coilpack!

Gord had his precats break up on him and I'm sure he said that threw an engine light when that happened?

If Stav's car can pass its MoT with no precats at all, it doesn't sound right that a car can fail the MoT because of the condition of the precats.

Yeah that's exactly what I mean mate, if the main cat is good, then it should pass without a problem when the car is warmed up?

I always thought the precats were just there to work when the car is first turned on and while the main cat is brought up to temperature - would be interesting to see what your car reads on the emissions when it's sat there for a minute or two with the revs kept up as in theory if the main cat was ok it should pass the emissions tests in those circumstances?

A dodgy o2 should throw an engine light but have to admit just replaced mine and it's working totally differently now to the old one - thing was it never threw an engine light before and I'd got a dodgy o2 sensor as well as a dodgy coilpack!

Gord had his precats break up on him and I'm sure he said that threw an engine light when that happened?

Yes i did mate, it sounds very much like your main cats the problem :D

Either way mine will all be coming off so once TGT have striped the car down LexusMike can have all 3 CATs.

Will the CATs from my 05 plate fit a 1999 model? I know the manifold will be OK but isn't there a differance on the main CAT, only asking becaust the Prolex sports cat states for 1999 to 2000 cars.

http://www.prolex-uk.com/store/index.php?cPath=161_212

Yikes now I'm confused/worried. Most here seem to think it's the main CAT but Toyota said they were sure it was the pre-cats! I dont want to end up with the wrong part, and as I am broke buying both parts doesnt make much sense.

Is there an easy way to tell which part is kaput?

Cheers.

Mike.

PS I would assume buying both parts on the off chance would also double my delivery costs too. Not sure what they will be.

The easiest way to test the main cat is to get the car into the garage with the emissions sensor in the exhaust, and keep revs up for a few minutes - if the main cat is fine then it should pass no problem at that point once it's warmed up - you should see the figures start to drop drastically as soon as it is getting warm.

The whole system of catalysts (two precats and one main cat) is specifically designed so the car meets the necessary emissions legislation set out by the European union (or the EPA in the states). There are different emissions legislation targets based on when the car was made. As Aido said the precats (or close-coupled catalysts as they are also know) are there to help the car convert the engine emissions when the car is first turned on from cold. They have more concentrated catalyst material than the main catalyst to allow them to convert engine emissions while they (the gas and the cats) are still cold. Also being nearer the engine they get hotter faster, and therefore work more efficienctly in a shorter time than they would do it they were positioned under the car. The main catalyst is required to cope with the emissions coming from the engine when it operates at higher speeds (look up NEDC on Google to see what the European legislation test looks like).

The MOT test is different to full European legislation testing as it only looks at the performance of the catalysts once they are fully warmed up. Once the complete system is warm (typically 2-3 minutes after you start the engine) then realistically either the precats on their own or the main cat on its own should work sufficiently well to allow you to pass the MOT test.

At 118,00 miles then that's quite good going for the original catalysts to have lasted that long! I would image if you replace only the main catalyst you should pass the MOT test. That's probably the cheapest and easiest thing to change first - if you can wait and take up Yeldarb on the offer that may be the cheapest way - just need to get it fitted. Otherwise a new main cat on its own shouldn't be too expensive.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links