Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Do You Think Of Buying Over The Phone

I have come across an SE/MM for sale, but it is a long way away from me. The salesman has assured me it is in good condition; there front alloys need refurbing as there are a couple of gouges, and a couple of minor stone chips. They have yet to do a detailed insepction but all of these issues will be resolved before despatching the car to me.

Have any of you experience of buying over the phone? They have assured me that if the car arrives and I am not happy, they will refund all and take it back.

Comments?

Thanks

I'd be cautious. Admittedly they will put anything right, but I'd still want to give it the once-over before committing, if nothing else to have a good listen over some bumpy road for any rattles from the dash etc.

All used lexus come with a 1 month 'no quibble' return policy, but you have to exchange for another car so you may want agreement from them that they will refund cash.

Good point.

Problem is, I am in Surrey and they are in Teeside. I did a trip to Lincoln yesterday to view a car there which proved to be a waste of time but I have been assured this car is perfect and am paying the right kind of money so am hopeful.

I will check the car and takeit for a drive when it arrives, before handing over money

I would not part with even a deposit until you have seen and driven a car. You have already proven the theory with your drive to Lincoln. You may find wheels or paint are not fixed to your satisfaction ot there are other problems. If the dealer hasn't given it a detailed inspection yet, wait until they have and have fixed anything that needs fixing then go and see it. I know it's another trip but it's piece of mind.

I went to view a car in Nottingham, put a deposit on it so they could fix wheels and stone chips and returned the next weekend. There were still marks on the wheels, stonchip repairs were visible and there was a big scratch across the bonnet. So I walked away from it and got my deposit returned.

I would not part with even a deposit until you have seen and driven a car.

I agree. Wait until it's been sorted then see if they will bring the car to a dealer nearer to you for you to testdrive it.

Same here, would never put money down (especially the whole lot) on a car I hadn't driven or seen in the flesh.

Travelling to Teesside might be a hassle, but worthwhile making sure the car is right. Plus when you've travelled that far there's a much better chance of getting a better deal :whistling:

This may go against the number of opinions expressed thus far, but I would like to share my experience.

I have bought my last 3 cars from Dealers not local to me and bought them exactly as you are thinking. The key point to consider is that you are at your most protected when you buy something from a distance, sight unseen and pay a deposit via your credit card. There are many reasons why you should do this, one is that if you pay a deposit by credit card and the dealer should go 'bust' before you can take ownership of the car, you are protected. At the end of the day, paying by credit card, you are using their money - not yours [until of course your bill comes in at the end of the month] - so should you not be happy, you can walk away and if the Dealer refuses to refund your money, you are not out of pocket as it may become a protracted matter.

Another reason to buy this way is that you are in a far stronger position to walk away form the deal because you have agreed to buy 'sight unseen' - so if you don't like the colour of the car you can legitimately walk away.

I really don't see a problem in buying a car in this way - it would be very difficult for you to back out of a deal if you have walked into the Dealership, agreed to buy and paid a deposit and then decide, hang on...I don't like this. I have never come unstuck and bought my last three cars from Dealers some distance away - only one of which I was not happy with and walked away. You really cannot loose.

Also, there is nothing stopping you asking the selling Dealer to confirm in writing to you (e-mail will suffice) that as you are looking to buy the car sight unseen and from afar, that they will return 100% of your deposit if you are not satisfied. Thereby giving you a stronger position.

I am surprised that, in the current climate, it is so difficult to find a decent "whatever","anywhere". Is it because people won't sell because of the depressed market, so there is a shortage?

Good point.

Problem is, I am in Surrey and they are in Teeside. I did a trip to Lincoln yesterday to view a car there which proved to be a waste of time but I have been assured this car is perfect and am paying the right kind of money so am hopeful.

I will check the car and takeit for a drive when it arrives, before handing over money

vk2oo3 Why not not couple your viewing with a few days visit to the North East your will not be disappointed. There are some very interesting places to visit like Durham, Newcastle and the Northumberland coast, Durham is only about 25 miles from Lexus Teeside.

Merv

Well I have paid a small deposit over the phone, and they are bringing the car to me. They have agreed that if I approve the car on arrival, then I hand over the bankers draft; if for any reason I am unhappy, they take it away, and refund the deposit. So lets see what happens!

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I have been told the same consistent story by about 6 dealerships now, that the new car market has died a death, and used cars are selling very quickly - they all seem to have particularily limited stocks of IS250s, such that prices on these have actually started to increase. As I have been looking for a little while, this price increase does seem to be true over the last few weeks (but not months...cars are still cheaper now than they were last quarter 2008)

Quite right, but if you are looking at a car in an unfamiliar area, it might be an idea to find that bumpy road BEFORE a test drive. That way the dealer can't get away with taking you on the best surfaced roads in his area. A lot of dealerships seem to be on smooth dual carriageways these days.

Sheffield and Rotherham have the worst roads in the UK so head there for a proper test :D

Yeah loads of terrible roads near me at the moment. Luckily the IS250 I got a couple of weeks ago appears rattle-free! (Nov 2005)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links