Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs300 Auto Steering Wheel Adjustment

hi guys

when you put key in ingnition barrell steering wheel comes out and adjust itself and when you take key out it folds and moves back by itself...

2 questions please..

1. it makes noise..sounds like it needs some grease/ wd40 . whats fix ?

2. in my manual it says to disable this feature see your lexus dealer . any one here know how to disable this..so when i take my key out it doesnt move up and backwards.

cheers guys

1/ The noise is probably just the motor working to move it.

2/ If you dont want it to move, set it to the furthest position away from you and also the highest position.

The reason it moves is so that when you are getting in or out of the car you have more kneeroom. When you put the key in the ignition it moves to whatever position you (or the previous owner) has set it to.

A motor wirring noise is normal but if it is excessive (as mine is in hot weather) then this is a significant job. Steering column out and dismantled to replace the bearing.

I had thought that WD40 would not be a good idea. For some reason Katana doesn't seem to want this feature so re-setting so that it is at its furthest and uppermost position will get rid of noise. Any idea why it is noisier in hot weather though Mike246?

to disable the auto retract you have to take it to a dealer for them to change. It isn't user configurable.

But if you adjust the setting to its furthest away and also uppermost position it has the same effect, as it will not then move on inserting/retracting the key. Saves paying a dealer plus if ever a change of mind or change of owner it doesn't need dealer to reinstate the function.

if your vehicles in for a service then they will probably program it for free, only takes a couple of minutes.

I got my dealer to only unlock the drivers door when pressing unlock on the remote, second press unlocks the other doors.

Now thats a dam good idea I think Ill get them to do mine, nice one ColinBarber.

Mine did have a slight hint of a grinding noise when i bought the car. But apparently it had been parked for quite a while on the Leuxs dealers lot...and after a few weeks the sound was gone. Its been two years since i bought it...and the sound hasnt returned..knock on wood ;)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links