Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fitting My Supercharger

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it give you a fault code when you read the ecu mate? mine was throwing up P0105 at the time? :unsure:

I'd love to know that, but how do I read the ECU? :unsure:

Have you got an obd2 reader mate? or you resetting the ecu light by removing the fuses?

Unfortunately I don't, I reset the ECU by removing the fuses :(

Edit:

Is there a way to test if the HKS FCD is even working at all?

If you could post a pic of how you have fitted the FCD i think this will help, as its very easy to wire it in wrong :o as your problem sounds like the FCD not working to me :D

bit further up Gord :whistling: it sounds like the same problems i had when i fitted mine, which to me points to the fcd? :unsure:

Not sure if there is a way of checking the fcd mate? Do you know anybody with a code reader? if you knew the code it was throwing up it might point out if its the fcd at fault or not? (like mine did)

So did you have a faulty FCD when you did yours Chris ?

It sounds like from what everyone is saying, the FCD is not doing what it's supposed to. So I guess it comes down to either (a) it's wired in wrong or (b ) the FCD itself is faulty. Are there any other possibilities ?

No mate my FCD was fine, it was just me making a crap connection that threw up the same faults as Patrik's having? If Patrik could get the fault code it should show up the problem if its fcd based or not? :unsure:

hmm, agree with all the above regarding the KS FCD being the problem....

there couldn't be an issue withh the bypass cable not have enouggh/too much slack on it could there?? not sure it would cause these problems though???

Sounds like the fcd to me, to test it patrik you need two power supplys and two meters.

On power supply onto the black and red for the 12v supply, then one going to the the white cable, which can vary between 5 and 0 volts.

Then attach a meter to the white cable and the black wire (to measue the input) and one to the yellow cable and the black cable (to measure the output)

you can do it with one meter if your power supply has a meter built in.

Then vary the reading between 0-5v.

On setting 12 the input should match the output exactly.

but as you go lower the output will drop off by a little right through the range compared to the input.

Thats how it works, basically telling you ECU theres less air than there actually is.

Stav

Also did you try setting 8? (though dont go any lower) cause if you are hitting the fuel cut then your right you wont notice the difference between 9 and 12.

Tbh though what you really need is a voltage clamp rather than a HKS FCD.

The problem with the FCD is that it "leans out" the air through the entire range, whereas a voltage clamp keeps the input and output the same up to a figure then flatlines keeping the output at the certain figure no matter how high the input.

This is how the black box works and (i believe) the Greddy BCC (though i havent found a cheap one of them yet to play with)

I do however have a voltage clamp at home ive been looking at and am in the process of seeing if i can build them cause in my opinion they're a better solution for replacing the black box than the FCD (and will cost considerbly less)

Stav

Good evening :)

I'm so thankful for all your help, mates. If I make it to JAE this year I'll bring as many cookies as you can eat :P Although the suggestions I got here didn't solve the problem they certainly kept my spirit high and made me continue all day.

The problem now seems solved and it wasn't due to an electronic failure at all, turns out it was far more silly than that.

In this picture I've marked the metal thingy that holds the inlet side of the bypass valve wire in place. That's how it's fitted right now, but initially I put it on top of the other metal thingy that holds the main throttle wire in place (I really need an English dictionary, I know). Because of that the supercharger wire was stretched out a bit which means the bypass valve closed too early.

dsc1170v.jpg

I finally realized it was misplaced and after I moved it everything worked great. This evening I've driven my car quite a bit and I'm so happy with the way it turned out :D I will now get a boost guage to make sure there aren't any leaks and I will also fiddle around with the different FCD settings to optimize the experience. I had to chop my bumper up to make room for the intercooler pipes, so I'm quite happy I don't have a genuine Legana bar :P

Here's a before and an after pic of the engine bay. Cheers and good night

dsc1140.jpg

dsc1169.jpg

Hopefully by tomorrow I will have a short video of the supercharger in action. I just want to make sure it sounds like it's supposed :)

OMG that engine bay wiring stav i think you have competition lol

glad you got the charger working cant wait to see a pic of the bumper with the Intercooler showing i might sway me to getting one lol

have you thought about the gauges yet which models etc ?

Rabs

an earlier closing valve shouldnt have made any difference TBH as the vacuum bypass valve closes straight away and i never had any trouble with that when it was fitted.

unless the fcd is playing a part in the problem.

Hello mateys :) I will answer all your replies later, I'm just home for lunch now. I just recorded the sound of my supercharger and I belive there is a high pitched whine that shouldn't be there. You can hear it up to about 2000rpm and then it disappears. The supercharger pulls really good, but I'm just not sure about this sound it makes. Please try to identify it for me. Cheers

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

Hello mateys :) I will answer all your replies later, I'm just home for lunch now. I just recorded the sound of my supercharger and I belive there is a high pitched whine that shouldn't be there. You can hear it up to about 2000rpm and then it disappears. The supercharger pulls really good, but I'm just not sure about this sound it makes. Please try to identify it for me. Cheers

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

A colleague of mine is a former Mercedes-Benz salesman. He told me the sound could be made because the supercharger has not been used before. Apparently all supercharged Mercedeses sound like this when they arrive from the factory.

I’m also suspicious towards the supercharger pulley screws. I read that they are quite unreliable, but can they cause this whining sound? Cheers

i cant really hear what you are refering to maybe tell us the time line on the video when we should here the sound?

i would check the screws are tight for now and order some new ones that are not made from chocolate.

i cant really hear what you are refering to maybe tell us the time line on the video when we should here the sound?

i would check the screws are tight for now and order some new ones that are not made from chocolate.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The sound is present from the second my engine starts, you can hear it following the rpm when it settles in idle.

I will replace my chocolate screws tomorrow :P

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links