Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

More Bad Luck

Agree with Brian. I also have a degree of knowledge in this area, and I belive you have been left-shouldered.

Although 'damage only accidents' are now classed as 'non-recordable' to the police, this is only if details are exchanged and there are no injuries/offences involved (i.e. due care)

This driver has failed to exchange details, and the accident is therefore deemed as a fail-to-stop, which IS recordable, and needs to be reported. He has already (allegedly)commited an offence of driving without due care & attention, from what you have described, which would also make it reportable.

The police are therefore obliged to report and investigate this matter. I would suggest that you re-attend the police station and ask to see the duty inspector to complain about these facts, and have the matter re-addressed. If you have the registered number, there is a blatant Neglect of Duty on behalf of whoever you reported this to. (civilian employee or police)

Who pays for the police? We do, so why the heck don't they help us when we need them. Rest assured, if you're doing 30.000001 MPH down a section of dual carriageway in broad daylight on a sunny day with nobody else for miles, they'll pull you over and give you a ticket. Some daft drunken renault idiot decides to save on brake pad material by using your hard-earned Lexus to slow himself down and the police act as if he's done nothing wrong. The police in the UK need to have a good sit down with a big box of donuts and have a think about their priorities.

cop.gif

Next time you are contemplating phoning the police, try calling Domino's pizza-at least they turn up (eventually).

Found a smilie of a policeman without his hat on.....CONEHEAD.gif

3) The law positively encourages driving without insurance.

Think about it ... Insurance paid every year - say 500 to 1000 quid.

Fine of maybe 100 to 200 quid ... IF you get caught !

And you don't pay it even when fined - or maybe 50pence a month.

You can see the attraction can't you ...

Driving without insurance carrys a minimum 6 to 8 points on your licence (IN10), AND can even lead to an instant disqualification! Also, when quoted to the next insurance company you go with will result in a hefty premium!

More than just £200 at stake!!

3) The law positively encourages driving without insurance.

Think about it ... Insurance paid every year - say 500 to 1000 quid.

Fine of maybe 100 to 200 quid ... IF you get caught !

And you don't pay it even when fined - or maybe 50pence a month.

You can see the attraction can't you ...

Driving without insurance carrys a minimum 6 to 8 points on your licence (IN10), AND can even lead to an instant disqualification! Also, when quoted to the next insurance company you go with will result in a hefty premium!

More than just £200 at stake!!

I agree with everything you say ... but ..

Ban and / or points on a licence they probably don't have ?

Insurance cost ? They don't have any remember - ironically because it's too pricey :)

Fine reduced to 10p a week at the slightest mention of being a bit skint at present ?

And before any of this, have to be caught ...

See what i'm getting at ..

The whole thing is loaded against the law abiding subjects - like most laws.

Oh and the thing about tickets for 30.00001mph but nowt for crashes ...

That's obvious - Police don't get money for the latter ...

Nor do they for house breaks, mugging or any other 'proper' crimes.

Speeding motorist is a very easy target - and profitable too ...

Why is 100mph - SHOCK HORROR DANGEROUS IRRISPONSIBLE in this country ...

Yet a couple of hours drive acroos europe, it's perfectly safe and acceptable ??

I have sympathy for the police too :blush:

Why should they bother catching 'real' criminals ...

They get to court and are just let out again with a mild slap :angry:

So, may as well just dish out tickets ... easy and profitable.

The law is a total A55 - the price for living in a namby pamby nanny state :duh:

Thanks for all the sympathy guys.

Anyhow, here is the latest news in from my insurance company.

"Sorry we cannot deal with the matter as you have no other details of the other driver except his registration number"

The claim will be from my insurance resulting in paying a £400 excess and most probably losing 2 years no claims bonus.

The police have told me that it is not really there concern as nobody was injured therefore they will no longer chase it up, but they have forward the case to traffic inspections which could reach them in the least a months time. They said if I want to get this sorted i would need to go through my insurance and see if they could help me.

My insurance told me the same, I need to go to the police to get more evidence of this car hitting me to prove it was not my fault.

So as you can all see, I've been SHAFTED.

So here is the next dilema, What do I do?

Forget insurance and pay for it out of my own pocket, cos i don't want to lose my no claims bonus.(next years will be full NCB)

Or let the insurance deal with it and come out of this £400 less, Deducted 2 years NCB and have a higher premium next year.

Remember i'm only 22 and my insurance will probably go up to about £2000

Very sorry to hear of this crap news. I also had a similar experience a few years back and the Police told me that it is an offense if the other party does not report an accident within 24 hours. The guy who hit me went into the station a few hours after hitting me and then the Police gave me his address and phone number so that I could contact him and get insurance details (no mention of Data Protection).

Maybe try pushing the Police further ot write a letter taking the matter further before you go ahead and claim on your insurance?

I do feel for you Alex....it's such a bum deal. Not sure how best to advise you about paying for the work yourself to protect your NCD or go through the Insurance. With my recent accident, I went through my Insurance for 2 reasons, firstly the cost of my repairs was around £2000 and secondly, as I have legal cover through my Insurance, I'm hoping they will be able to prosecute this guy. I know that I'll probably get nothing out of it but I would feel better if tw@ts like the 16 year old who crashed into me and drove off would think twice next time.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links