Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Obviously that would be quite a change, but ignoring differences like the sheer size of it, fuel economy, etc, then yes I can't see it being a decision you'll regret :)

The LS430 is a whole lot of car, for now very little money......

Actual purchase cost of the Lexus would be half that of the Skoda at the moment. Just running costs would be a bit more.

Having owned new cars for the past few years I get a bit nervous about going for something older....

If you get one with the right service history, reliability shouldn't be an issue, these things are bulletproof. Fuel costs etc will be a lot higher, but if that doesn't bother you then go for it :)

So, should I ditch a 2007 Skoda Octavia for a 2001 LS430?

YES !

If you are going to run a luxury car and its running costs are not paid for by someone else (e.g. your company) or you are not seriously well-heeled, then it's best to buy the most reliable one: Lexus.

I upgraded from a Mark 2 Golf, buying my 400 from a Lexus dealership. The idea was to run it for just one year to get the fixation about owning a luxury car "out of my system". I am now entering my sixth year of ownership. In parts it has cost less than the Golf.

Now is the time to buy one of these superbly-made wafting machines.

I was in a fairly similar position having driven company cars for the past 20 years...............9 of which when I worked for a vehicle manufacturer where the cars were changed every 6 - 9 months.

So when I took a new job and decided to opt for the cash instead of being hammered for company car tax I bought the Lexus which has celebrated it's 10th birthday. The LS400 is looking a bit dated now, but it's pretty well put together and has plenty of life left in it.

If it was me...........yes, I think I would do it. Just remember that instead of the Skoda jokes you will hear all the wise cracks about quotes for an airport drop off at Heathrow or Gatwick - I have heard them all!

Welcome to the club, there are many threads like this. People looking at going for an LS and need assurance to make the final leap.

It is now my opinion that if you even have to ask, you may not have done your homework correctly...

The LS is probably the best and most reliable car ever made and has every feature a car could possible have, with acceleration that super-cars are jealous of.

If all that doesn't appeal to you, then stick with the lada.

If all that doesn't appeal to you, then stick with the lada.

I like it :P

No, I've done my homework, read countless spec sheets and reviews. It's just the move from a newer vehicle to an older vehicle that my mind is thinking about. But I'm sure now which direction I'll be heading in....

Thanks for the comments all.

I always drove new cars, Nissan Micra's, Ford Focus, Honda CR-V etc... The list is long and boring.

Then I switched to the LS400 and now I have a 8 year old LS430 with 110,000 miles on the clock and it feels newer than any new little car I ever had.

Keep it clean and keep it serviced and it will always be like new.

Mine still smells of leather.

I have a no eating, drinking, smoking or farting rule in the car...

I always drove new cars, Nissan Micra's, Ford Focus, Honda CR-V etc... The list is long and boring.

Then I switched to the LS400 and now I have a 8 year old LS430 with 110,000 miles on the clock and it feels newer than any new little car I ever had.

Keep it clean and keep it serviced and it will always be like new.

Mine still smells of leather.

I have a no eating, drinking, smoking or farting rule in the car...

What do you think of the annual Irish motor tax Hunt.trophy? Approx €1500 per year must be a right pain in the butt!

This is my third LS.

I have had it for 2 and a bit years. This is the longest I've ever owned the same car for.

I usually changed every 18 months. But the downturn means that changing car is less of a prior and simply bad taste. If I'm letting people go, or unemployed myself how does it look to have changed car recently?

I am on my third LS. I have had two LS400's previously.

My father has had a new LS every year from 1990 till 2007 and is not changing for the same reasons as me.

When there is an upturn I will trade up and my old-man will too I am sure, I am also sure that we will stay with the LS.

Just went up to Wembley yesterday, supreme cruise along M4/M25 in my Ser 4, which is now 11 years old but in great shape and never skips a beat. (Well, at 82K miles, it shouldn't?) Nothing comes close.

You won't regret it for a moment.

Had a look at a 2001 Ls430 with premium pack yesterday (early of the new shape so no standard rear parking sensors although previous owner had fitted them so not colour coded which looked a bit strange).

Initially not in bad nick for the age and mileage (75k), a few stone chips but thats expected. A deep scuff just infront of the rear wheel on one side which could be repaired. Took a test drive and was very impressed. Got back to the dealer and then noticed a largish rust bubble on the passenger door about an inch long by half inch high. Gutted. Dealer offered to repair but why would an 8 year old lexus have rust there?

Oh well my search continues.

... noticed a largish rust bubble on the passenger door about an inch long by half inch high. ...but why would an 8 year old lexus have rust there?

Most likely because car had had a scrape and had NOT been repaired to required standard - i.e. been repaired outside the Lexus dealership, so to speak.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links