Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Who Knows About Adsl?

Rob

hi all

my adsl keeps dropping off line, but it could be 5 mins after i connect or it could be after 10 hours, there doesnt seem to be a common cause, i have the latest drivers , there is a patch for a connection issue but when i try to install it i am told the files are already present.

the modem is a usb sagem fast 800. if i look at the adsl monitor thingy is says " usb disconnected" i have checked the connections all r fine, new cables etc i have swopped the filter also and no difference. i have to unplug/replug the usb and then it reconnects again straight away - im starting to get annoyed now.

any ideas people. oh the modem is listed under network adaptors and im using w98se.

cheers rob.

Rob - what chipset is your motherboard? Are you using a usb hub or is it from the MB?

Check the power settings for the USB if it is a Via chipset (Also all the OS patches for VIA usb). If you are using an AMD Thunderbird make sure you have 'enhanced chipset enable' in the BIOS set as there are known timing issues with the USB.

Do you have a powered usb hub you could try in case it's just on the level and sporadically brings the usb ports down?

Not sure how your provider software operates but does it re-establish the connection with a software disconnect/reconnect?

Do any of the lights on the modem itself change or loose sync? Just wondering if the "usb disconnected" error is the actual fault or just that it can't get it's downstream so can't talk to the system and the error is too general.

Have a look in device manager to see if anything is sharing the IRQ of your USB host controller. If so, move it onto a different IRQ line.

Anything environmentally changed? (Digital cordless phones, fax machine, etc) in case it's RF propagation and EMI. This can cause excess data causing the USB port to become overrun.

Okay... firstly, a patch will replace existing files with newer ones.. so when it asks you if you want to replace them, say yes.

I occasionally suffer the same problem, my reccomendation is try and connect as close the the BT points as possible (sometimes extension cables can cause the signal to drop-off).

Other than that, there's not a lot you can do, because ADSL can only work up to a certain distance from the exchange, and the signal is supceptible to noise/interference.

I'd reccomend complaining to your ISP, It's worth a try..

Could be a number of things - need more of a description but:

1. Idle timeout from network provider

2. Dodgy firmware in modem

3. Dodgy Windows drivers

4. Distance from exchange

5. Exhange DSLAM reliability

I used to use one of those Alcatel blue 'stingray' modems and it would drop me plenty after a while, though the computer would think it was still online - which was damn annoying as it would mean my ftp/webserver and mp3 streamer wouldn't work properly (I have a server I leave on 24/7 firewalled out to my work PC meaning I have 1200 CDs of music I can listen to at work ;)). Since I upgraded to a Netgear router, the router is rock solid and never drops - in my case the firmware in the USB modem was a bit pants.

Asam

about the patch - i deleted the original file, ran the patch and it installed the required files. i am about 300m from the main exchange so dont think it is the distance thingy, i can make/recieve calls no probs whilst connected so doubt it is noise.

i have it connected direct to the MB, i have one of the original amd athlons ( not overclocked) to reestablish a connection i have to close the connection prog, open the DSL monitor and then select reset, it then will reconnect.

i have 2 lights on the modem ADSl and PWR, when i get disconnected the adsl light goes out, PWR stays on - so its getting power from the USB.

the only enviromental change is that the modem is closer to the comp and the trailing socket ( with 50 million cables coming from it) i have a new modem as the older one gave up after 6 months. I have had the ADSL line checed and they say it is ok.

as for chipset mmmmmm where would i find that info then??

I've got one of those Alcatel green blobby modems... so you'd reccomend the Netgear?? I was thinking LinkSys...

Netgear stuff is very stable - they've been doing industrial switches for ages, and the routers just work.

At the end of the day, for a router you want a switch rather than a hub, and ideally auto-uplink detection. At the £100-odd price you're pating they are much of a muchness, but Netgear have rock solid reputation (even if their customer service is hard to get through to - but luckily their stuff just works!). Great web interface for controlling the router, DMZ, firewall, and remote configuration if you want too.

Either way, a switch gives you full duplex and allows you to have different speed (10/100) NICs attached without dropping the speed like a hub, and auto-uplink means you don't have to worry about pesky patch/xover cables ;) So you definately want one that has those features.

about the patch - i deleted the original file, ran the patch and it installed the required files. i am about 300m from the main exchange so dont think it is the distance thingy, i can make/recieve calls no probs whilst connected so doubt it is noise.

i have it connected direct to the MB, i have one of the original amd athlons ( not overclocked) to reestablish a connection i have to close the connection prog, open the DSL monitor and then select reset, it then will reconnect.

i have 2 lights on the modem ADSl and PWR, when i get disconnected the adsl light goes out, PWR stays on - so its getting power from the USB.

the only enviromental change is that the modem is closer to the comp and the trailing socket ( with 50 million cables coming from it) i have a new modem as the older one gave up after 6 months. I have had the ADSL line checed and they say it is ok.

as for chipset mmmmmm where would i find that info then??

Sounds like you've got a problem with the chipset. My bet is you have VIA based motherboard.. Notoriously unreliable with many USB issues.

In fact my webserver used to run on a VIA-based Athlon 800, and I used to get many USB issues causing me to restart. In the end my motherboard failed due to power being sucked by the modem.

I don't have a 98 install anymore, but from memory, an easy way to check the chipset is to reboot the machine and neat the top as it's rebooting (depending on the BIOS) it will probably say VIA.

Or go to Device Manager and do a properties on the IDE device and look at the driver.

If it's VIA, Go to www.viatech.com and get the latest 4-in-1 drivers. Should help.

Hiya chaps.....As the problem seems to center around the USB connection, I would humbly suggest somthing like a broadband router. Netgear do some good one. I personally use a dlink DSL-504. Cost around £90 and superb reliability.

Hey Kavey, thank for the help on setting the ADSL Router the other night, it working great now.

as for the LD, i will try using a Powered USB Hub, my friends say that will help...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links