Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same dilemma before I took the plunge nearly four years ago but never looked back.

Nobody's mentioned fuel consumption in their arguments. My IS300 used to binge drink on every journey whilst the 250 returns a respectable 33 overall and reaches 38 on a long motorway journey at constant speed.

Also the auto box on the 250 is far superior to the 300. As for acceleration, I didn't notice any difference when I swapped and a foot to floor can manage most situations with smooth aplomb.

The engine is much smoother and mine at 80K is running so quiet, I have to check that it hasn't stalled.

I can't comment on the 18" alloys but the tracking needs regular checking if the inner wear on the tyres is to be avoided.

All in all, I would swap - the extra toys (the MM with the reversong camera is a must) and the smooth auto box will make it worthwile.

Nope ! The IS250 SE-L just doesn't do it for me i'm afraid.

I'm gonna sit on the fence until that something special turns-up :whistling:

Ever thought of an ISF. It looks a bit less bland than the IS250, has all the performance you could want and more toys. Around town it even has better fuel consumption than the excessively thirsty IS3OO. The main disadvantage in crowded cities is that like the IS250 it is a fraction bigger than the IS200/300 so needs a bit more scarce parking space :D

Nope ! The IS250 SE-L just doesn't do it for me i'm afraid.

I'm gonna sit on the fence until that something special turns-up :whistling:

I really dont know where you are at!!!....If your not happy with the IS250 SE-L MM with all the luxury compared to the IS 300 why dont you go for a Type R or somthing .I would recommend the GS450H SE-l as I have driven ALL 3 of these motors .......but as I say ...I think you are really looking to Affirm how good you rate your IS300 .Dont read this wrong ...It is a very good motor !!! but to like it better than the IS250 .......well I cannot understand unless you just want Type R boy racer performance .

i have to agree with "IS300", i was too lookin to change my car test drove is250 & 220d: the 220d is just s#hit, the 250 is a geat car, i like it alot, lots off toys but something keeps holding me back and i keep goin for the IS300 everytime... maybe one day ill have a IS350 or ISF(if i sell a kidney)

i have to agree with "IS300", i was too lookin to change my car test drove is250 & 220d: the 220d is just s#hit, the 250 is a geat car, i like it alot, lots off toys but something keeps holding me back and i keep goin for the IS300 everytime... maybe one day ill have a IS350 or ISF(if i sell a kidney)

I've owned two IS200, these are great gars. when came time to change, I obviously had a look at the IS250, and test drove it several times. But for me, if power is OK, torque is not, which is what you could expect for a 'small' engine (2.5).

I then decided to stay with the Gen1 IS and since then, I have been the happy owner of my IS300 for 2 1/2 years now.

As mentionned earlier the only real drawback is fuel consumption. an IS300 can be quite thirsty when driven hard.

The best choice for me would be the IS350 (not imported) or even the middle east IS300 version (not imported either), while the IS-F is not for me. :winky:

I can understand someone rejecting an IS250 in favour of their IS300 because I rejected one in favour of my IS200. I think the reason is that the IS200/300 cars have a compact sporty feel to them which the IS250 does not. I can also understand why people consider the IS250 superior because it is definitely more luxurious and can be specced with some lovely toys. It's down to what you want out of a car. An IS350 would only work if it had some ISF chassis/suspension mods.

For what it's worth I've driven the IS 200 (still have a Sport), the IS 220D, the IS250 (have the SE-L), the IS300, the IS350 (in the States), and the IS-F (in the UK).

In terms of actual performance (feel only, not measured) I would put them in the following order IS200-IS220D-IS300-IS250-IS350 & IS-F (obviously).

Still like the first generation IS and I'd trade in my IS200 for a IS300 if the right one came along, BUT no way would I do so for my 250 SE-L auto. IMHO the 220D is crap and should never have been made :whistling: . The IS350 is the car Lexus should have brought to the UK, as it retains the looks of the 250 with adequate power.

The IS-F feels like a 250 or 350 from the inside for 90% of the drive. When the gas pedal is floored it certainly changes character, but for the time you can use the power on todays roads, well why bother and that's before you take the everyday mpg into account (if you want a fast car then buy a proper one, like a Nissan GT-R).

All personal opinion of course, if we all had the same it would be a boring world, although probably a more peaceful one :huh: .

I can understand someone rejecting an IS250 in favour of their IS300 because I rejected one in favour of my IS200. I think the reason is that the IS200/300 cars have a compact sporty feel to them which the IS250 does not. I can also understand why people consider the IS250 superior because it is definitely more luxurious and can be specced with some lovely toys. It's down to what you want out of a car. An IS350 would only work if it had some ISF chassis/suspension mods.

Quite honestly I dont think either the IS200 or IS250 have a "Sporty feel to them".I left behind a Honda Civic VTi 1.6 litre(1998) saloon to buy my first Lexus ..the IS200 Sport.The Honda out accellorated, out cornered, out drove the IS200 in ALL departments except luxury. It was actually more comfortable from a seating point of view.The gearbox was much slicker and the engine revved to 8500 before the rev limiter came in .From 5400 RPM to 8500 it was a rocket ship.For a 1.6 litre you can not beat the DOHC Vtec(16B2 engine).Oh and while Im at it it was much more stable from 100MPH to its top speed of 143 indicated(only tested on track days of course)I wish I still had it when I feel in a SPORTY mood which these days is not very often:).I averaged around 30/35 MPG in all driving conditions but if you kept your foot of it would do 40/45 on legal run to work .

The IS200 was a lot quieter and sedate car to drive and as you get olderthis appeals more.

For young guys looking for sporty driving I think they should look to other makes for exilorating drives.

I think the reason most people buy Lexus is that they are classier.....not sportier!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links