Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi everyone.

For years I have longed to have a Lexus. Now I am retired this is the time. If I don’t do it now I never will. So I started the search which after two months ended a few days ago in the purchase of a late 1995 (2nd Generation?) Lexus LS400.

Excellent condition, good history and 124,000 miles on the clock. Been out only a couple of times but thoroughly enjoyed it. Less quiet than I imagined but so smooth and effortless.

I only have one key for it and for safety would like a spare. Presumably the car would have remote locking with the appropriate key? A local key cutter says they are available only from the Main Dealer and cost about £80 to £100 just for a basic key. That’s a bit of a knock back!.

More importantly.

The audio system doesn’t work. I was aware of that before purchase so I have no complaints about it but I would like to get it going. The head unit switches on and the digits all appear and stations seem to tune in alright except there is total silence. Cassettes fast forward, play and rewind but no sound.

Can’t try the CD unit mounted in the front glove box as I don’t have the necessary 6 CD caddy. Will buy one if I get it all working.

I deduce it is possibly a fuse somewhere or possibly the amp but where is the amp? Can’t see it under the passenger seat nor in the boot. I visited the local ICE dealer this afternoon and after several telephone calls he could not locate a fascia plate suitable for use with the LS400 and an aftermarket system.

I looked on the website suggested on this forum for spare part prices and the radio is £2,308 with the CD Player £1,221. Wow, it must be a fantastic radio?

For me, it looks like being an aftermarket unit. A wiring diagram I found on this forum shows the amplifier is only used for the sub-woofer and that would seem to make things easier and point to the problem being the radio unit itself. The dealer started the car using a Battery boosting device so could it be possible that the radio has simply lost its code. If so that’s a bit difficult because I don’t have the code for it. No manual was with the vehicle and that’s a nuisance as I feel there is so much to discover and understand. Posibly the Main Dealer would sell me one.

Just got to get the audio working then a few other little bits to sort and I will have a lovely vehicle for a lot less than two and a half grand.

Nevertheless, so far, a very happy bunny.

Shaduf

Hi everyone.

For years I have longed to have a Lexus. Now I am retired this is the time. If I don't do it now I never will. So I started the search which after two months ended a few days ago in the purchase of a late 1995 (2nd Generation?) Lexus LS400.

Excellent condition, good history and 124,000 miles on the clock. Been out only a couple of times but thoroughly enjoyed it. Less quiet than I imagined but so smooth and effortless.

I only have one key for it and for safety would like a spare. Presumably the car would have remote locking with the appropriate key? A local key cutter says they are available only from the Main Dealer and cost about £80 to £100 just for a basic key. That's a bit of a knock back!.

More importantly.

The audio system doesn't work. I was aware of that before purchase so I have no complaints about it but I would like to get it going. The head unit switches on and the digits all appear and stations seem to tune in alright except there is total silence. Cassettes fast forward, play and rewind but no sound.

Can't try the CD unit mounted in the front glove box as I don't have the necessary 6 CD caddy. Will buy one if I get it all working.

I deduce it is possibly a fuse somewhere or possibly the amp but where is the amp? Can't see it under the passenger seat nor in the boot. I visited the local ICE dealer this afternoon and after several telephone calls he could not locate a fascia plate suitable for use with the LS400 and an aftermarket system.

I looked on the website suggested on this forum for spare part prices and the radio is £2,308 with the CD Player £1,221. Wow, it must be a fantastic radio?

For me, it looks like being an aftermarket unit. A wiring diagram I found on this forum shows the amplifier is only used for the sub-woofer and that would seem to make things easier and point to the problem being the radio unit itself. The dealer started the car using a battery boosting device so could it be possible that the radio has simply lost its code. If so that's a bit difficult because I don't have the code for it. No manual was with the vehicle and that's a nuisance as I feel there is so much to discover and understand. Posibly the Main Dealer would sell me one.

Just got to get the audio working then a few other little bits to sort and I will have a lovely vehicle for a lot less than two and a half grand.

Shaduf

Hi Shaduf,

I got my '92 about a month ago, not retired yet, but I wanted my V8 now! like you, very happy with it, and currently working through the niggles. The forum here and the USA one are great for searching for posts with similar problems.

The no sound on the stereo problem is apparently usually caused by the system thinking the car phone mute is required, which is usually a bad connection- somewhere- usually under the back seat ! There is a separate power amp I think as well as the sub amp, its position varies. Mine does it to, but it comes and goes, sharp braking tends to mute the radio, I have still to hunt for the connector.

I keep plugging this chap, but sourcing cheap parts is important, there's a chap on here by the name of "benfur", Maurice, who breaks lexus's he might have a CD caddy.

Try eBay for cd copies of the workshop manual

cheers, Ian

Hi everyone.

For years I have longed to have a Lexus. Now I am retired this is the time. If I don't do it now I never will. So I started the search which after two months ended a few days ago in the purchase of a late 1995 (2nd Generation?) Lexus LS400.

I only have one key for it and for safety would like a spare. Presumably the car would have remote locking with the appropriate key? A local key cutter says they are available only from the Main Dealer and cost about £80 to £100 just for a basic key. That's a bit of a knock back!.

More importantly.

The audio system doesn't work. I was aware of that before purchase so I have no complaints about it but I would like to get it going. The head unit switches on and the digits all appear and stations seem to tune in alright except there is total silence. Cassettes fast forward, play and rewind but no sound.

Can't try the CD unit mounted in the front glove box as I don't have the necessary 6 CD caddy. Will buy one if I get it all working.

I deduce it is possibly a fuse somewhere or possibly the amp but where is the amp? Can't see it under the passenger seat nor in the boot. I visited the local ICE dealer this afternoon and after several telephone calls he could not locate a fascia plate suitable for use with the LS400 and an aftermarket system.

For me, it looks like being an aftermarket unit. A wiring diagram I found on this forum shows the amplifier is only used for the sub-woofer and that would seem to make things easier and point to the problem being the radio unit itself. The dealer started the car using a battery boosting device so could it be possible that the radio has simply lost its code. If so that's a bit difficult because I don't have the code for it. No manual was with the vehicle and that's a nuisance as I feel there is so much to discover and understand. Posibly the Main Dealer would sell me one.

Shaduf

hi shaduf, the amp is located under the drivers seat . You need to remove the plastic air vent cover to see it.

I have a spare amp if you can check yours is duff or not.

cheers steve.

hi shaduf, the amp is located under the drivers seat . You need to remove the plastic air vent cover to see it.

I have a spare amp if you can check yours is duff or not.

cheers steve.

Thanks for that Steve.

I understood it was under the passenger seat but I couldn't find it and was going to take the seat out when I had time.

Presumably I will have to remove the driver's seat to get at it.

Can you tell me if that is the amp for all the 7 speakers or is only for the sub-woofer. If it is for all 7 then presumably all I need is a head unit connected up to the amp and away we go, assuming the amp is OK. Anticipating some difficulty in fitting an after market head unit however as my local ICE dealer says no mounting kit is available to mount a standard radio in the LS400 Series 3. I did find one this morning at Autotoys.com in the States so they are made.

Beginning to seem a bit of a problem. When the dealer said "the radio doesn't work" I said I wasn't too fussed, that could be sorted. I now regret not insisting that was put right first. Still we live and learn. Being 67 I should have learned by now.

The car is dead without a stereo!!

Shaduf

Hi shaduf, you can access the amp by just moving the seat fully forward, then removing the vent cover (2x screws under blanks) the amp is held in by small screws either side . 2 or 4 i dont remember. Yes the amp powers all seven speakers ant there are i think 3 /4 block connectors going into it. Good luck sorting your problem. When i bought mine i had just one rear speaker not working so that was an easy one. Someone on here should be able to direct you to a wiring schematic which may help.

steve

Just read your 1st post again,, the amp definatly powers all speakers , i dont know what diagram you found but by removing different connections off the amp i had different speakers working or not. I would be thinking a fuse maybe or the power connector loose to the amp. Let us know how you get on

steve

Just read your 1st post again,, the amp definatly powers all speakers , i dont know what diagram you found but by removing different connections off the amp i had different speakers working or not. I would be thinking a fuse maybe or the power connector loose to the amp. Let us know how you get on

steve

Hi Steve

Thanks a lot for your continued interest in the non functioning audio.

You are quite right, sliding the driver’s seat forward reveals all. There are four connector blocks and I disconnected all four and replaced them. They were and are very secure so I don’t see a problem there.

I can’t relate anything much to the wiring diagrams though. But now here’s a funny thing.

I always take digital pics when I do anything like this. It’s so easy to stick a little camera where you can’t see. I now have on the screen the full view of the amp with the 4 connectors and all the wire colours clearly shown. But when I put them on the computer adjacent to the ones I took a week ago under the passenger seat I can now see what looks like another amp under the passenger seat. (Easier to see when you know what you are looking for.) It’s too late to mess about tonight now so I’ll have a better look in the morning.

Somewhere on the net I read there is a facility for when the phone rings the audio automatically mutes and the diagrams show a mute cable but it’s unclear just what it is. I have also downloaded a Lexus Technical Service Information Bulletin April 2006 for all Lexus Models 06-07. I realise that’s not mine (I wish) but it says:

No sound from all speakers:

External Amp: Confirm MUTE wire. Confirm continuity of MUTE wire between radio and amplifier before going to step 4.

Anyway, I’ll have another fiddle tomorrow. Shame there isn’t a Haynes Workshop Manual for it.

Shaduf

You may want a look here:

http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalLexusLS400str1.htm

You could probably do the job without taking out the seat, but at least this shows you what to look for.

And remember that the drivers seat is on the opposite side to this one as its a septic site.

And heres a wiring diagram, its for a 1990 but again its more for pointers than anything else:

http://www.lextreme.com/Lexradio.pdf

You may want a look here:

http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalLexusLS400str1.htm

You could probably do the job without taking out the seat, but at least this shows you what to look for.

And remember that the drivers seat is on the opposite side to this one as its a septic site.

And heres a wiring diagram, its for a 1990 but again its more for pointers than anything else:

http://www.lextreme.com/Lexradio.pdf

Thanks very much for that. I had already been to those locations and even printed them out but missed the very bit I needed to see. When I downloaded them from your post, on the second one right at the top it showed a 20A fuse in the Left Engine Compartment called Radio 1. I'd previously found one called Radio 2 in the drivers foot well but that was OK.

When I checked the 20A under the bonnet it was blown. I replaced it and Bingo. Radio was alive!!! Cassettes also play and I have no doubt the CD Player will work as well. At the moment I do not have a 6 CD cartridge but I have one on its way from eBay for 99p.!!

I can't thank you enough for making me take a second look, nor all the others who have offered their help.

As for my post above where I said there was a second amp under the other front seat - I must have had a senior moment and got my pictures and seats mixed up.

There is only one amp. I got the seat heater wires mixed up with the little case (first aid box?) and construed it as an amplifier.

Not having a manual there are still things I'm not clear about for now I'm in heaven sitting in my Lexus listening to music.

Thanks again to all.

Shaduf

Congratulations on sorting the problem and thankyou for posting up the result, don't forget that when you put the CDs in the cartridge the playing side faces up NOT the label side ( Pioneer design, the laser assy is mounted above the disc, this prevents dust contamination of the laser when normally they are mounted below)

If you think the radio and tape sounds good wait until you here the cds!

BTW "Nottingham Lad" but you are in Stamford I guess you are originally from Nottingham?

Congratulations on sorting the problem and thankyou for posting up the result, don't forget that when you put the CDs in the cartridge the playing side faces up NOT the label side ( Pioneer design, the laser assy is mounted above the disc, this prevents dust contamination of the laser when normally they are mounted below)

If you think the radio and tape sounds good wait until you here the cds!

BTW "Nottingham Lad" but you are in Stamford I guess you are originally from Nottingham?

Hi Steve

I had a Pioneer CD Player in my HiFi a long time ago. Your tip re which way up is very timely. The home unit was indeed the other way. I had quite a number of carts and can't remember where they went, probably gave them to the new owner of the HiFi if when I sold it.

After I tried a cassette and it worked I tried a cassette adaptor. It was Sony brand and looks like a cassette but has a lead from it to plug direct into a headphone socket of Ipod etc. I'm sure you know the type of gadget I mean. Using my Archos player the sound was superb but unfortunately the gadget ejected after a few seconds. I kept trying but it never played for longer than 30 secs. Gadgets of this type usually work in one direction only so you need to turn them over. This is not possible on the Lexus as the because of its end feed. If you tried to turn the item round the cable would be at the wrong end. It's of little importance as, like you say, I will enjoy CD's very soon.

Another thing I might try is one of those radio transmitters which plug into the cigar lighter and take SD Cards, USB sticks and have an input socket. Only about a tenner and I love my gadgets.

Yes, I am originally from Lenton, Nottingham. I met a girl from Stamford at Skegness when we were both 17. We promised to write and we did and eventually married and I moved to Stamford. Fortynine years ago and a marriage made in heaven.

Thanks again for you interest.

Shaduf

Unfortunately the CD Cartridge did not work.

It appears to be in perfect condition but the CD player does not want to accept it. It doesn't feel right when I insert it as if the Player wants to reject it. The cartridge stops when it gets more or less flush with the player front and I am reluctant to push any further. Even when it's flush it is reluctant to come out using the eject button and I have difficulty in retrieving it.

I am LED to the conclusion that it was a malfunctioning CD player which blew the fuse in the first place.

The cassette adaptor is currently working well. The sound is certainly excellent and it is not now being ejected. Obviously it is comfortable at the moment but may be a problem if I eject it and then try it again. In view of that I will leave it in position and just couple my Archos unit to it to enjoy my music.

I might try one of those FM transmitter units plugged into the cigar lighter. There are lots about, some with crap reviews and others seem OK. Nothing much to lose at about a tenner a go!.

Thanks again for listening.

Shaduf

You will probably find there is a loose disc in the mech jamming it up as they don't like R/RW discs ( the centre holes are sometimes a bit rough).

If you have the time and inclination it may be worth pulling the unit and having a look.

A decent FM transmitter with ipod charger and auto seek will cost around £40

Tesco have one without auto seek for around £15

No auto seek means you have to keep tuning it on the fly. Radio signals, empty when you start off, are often full down the road.

No charger has it dying on you.

Are you sure you got the correct magazine?

I dont know if the Pioneer and Nakamichi systems that were fitted to the 400 had the same CD changer, or if the magazines were interchangeable.

Could be that you got the wrong one, especially if it dont go in right.

Doubt if the Cd changer was powered by a 20 amp fuse, it would melt before the fuse blew, more likely the amp is powered by that fuse and somebody shorted the feed out if its working ok now.

Unfortunately the CD Cartridge did not work.

It appears to be in perfect condition but the CD player does not want to accept it. It doesn't feel right when I insert it as if the Player wants to reject it. The cartridge stops when it gets more or less flush with the player front and I am reluctant to push any further. Even when it's flush it is reluctant to come out using the eject button and I have difficulty in retrieving it.

I am led to the conclusion that it was a malfunctioning CD player which blew the fuse in the first place.

The cassette adaptor is currently working well. The sound is certainly excellent and it is not now being ejected. Obviously it is comfortable at the moment but may be a problem if I eject it and then try it again. In view of that I will leave it in position and just couple my Archos unit to it to enjoy my music.

I might try one of those FM transmitter units plugged into the cigar lighter. There are lots about, some with crap reviews and others seem OK. Nothing much to lose at about a tenner a go!.

Thanks again for listening.

Shaduf

You will probably find there is a loose disc in the mech jamming it up as they don't like R/RW discs ( the centre holes are sometimes a bit rough).

If you have the time and inclination it may be worth pulling the unit and having a look.

I have put my digital camera up to the opening and it looks quite clean and tidy in there but I have no means of knowing what it should look like (in terms of levers etc). Obviously the disc mechanism is on the right and there is a couple of crossed arms which could be a platform for loading a disc up to the laser. If there is a disc in there I can't see it but it could well be obscured.

I probably have the time to pull the unit but I don't have the inclination (frit, as we say in the country). I have read various warnings about attempting to remove the unit and I am reluctant to predjudice the music I now enjoy.

Are you sure you got the correct magazine?

I dont know if the Pioneer and Nakamichi systems that were fitted to the 400 had the same CD changer, or if the magazines were interchangeable.

Could be that you got the wrong one, especially if it dont go in right.

Doubt if the Cd changer was powered by a 20 amp fuse, it would melt before the fuse blew, more likely the amp is powered by that fuse and somebody shorted the feed out if its working ok now.

No, I am not at all sure I have the right cartridge. The one I have is the standard Pioneer 6 CD cart as used in hi-fi units but it does say on it

"FOR HOME AND CAR USE"

There is a CD Changer and Cratridge on EBay at the moment. It's the earlier model that fits in the boot. No interest to me except the cartridge looks the same as mine but has LEXUS on it instead of Pioneer. Now if Lexus had Pioneer make a small change to it (for marketing reasons) then that could be why mine doesn't fit properly. The item number on eBay is 220424420325.

Meanwhile the cassette adaptor is giving good results and using my Archos I have 20GB of music to choose from.

I do appreciate the interest and help of both of you and value you input.

Shaduf

Sorry I just realised you have a1995 LS and so the cd player is in the glove box I was thinking rear boot mounted version.

The cd magazine part numbers for the 1994 ( Boot mounted changer) is 86273-50010 and the 1995 ( glovebox mounted changer) is 86273-50050 so you may have the wrong cart.

PM Benfur and see if he has the correct one.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links