Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Any Ideas What These Fault Codes Mean?

Hi all,

I need to pick your brains again.

Having failed on the emissions recently, just when the front upper control arms need replacing too, i need to do some cheap work to keep the great motor.

A recent engine warning light brought the following fault codes:

13 - RPM Signal..............what does that mean and how do i fix it? It is 1 of 2 RPM signals ( 12 is also RPM signal but does not read faulty in this case)

25 - Air-Fuel Ratio Lean Malfunction.........how do i fix this error?

31 - Air-Flow Meter Signal........im hoping this is not the actual a/f/meter as it was nearly £350 on a Peugot 205gti (ahhh memories.... :winky: ) so no idea how much on this beast

hopefully its just the sensor which should be accessible to clean or replace

If i clean the MAF, along with sorting the above faults relatively cheaply, then would the emissions be reduced anyway without replacing the cats?

The saga continues.......

RPM signal

if there are 2 possible codes, its possibly refering to the cam rpm sensors, one of mine (drivers side) had its cable rubbing against the serpentine belt

I would reseat the connectors for the rpm sensor and the MAF, perhaps with a sqirt of wd40

Code 31 puts the ECU into fail safe mode, keeping igniton timing and fuel injection volume constant

making it possible to drive the vehicle.

Diagnosis :Harness or connector between ECU and air flow meter

Air flow meter

ECU

Code 13 3 diagnosis listed abreviated down to Engine speed sensor or ECU or Loose timing belt jumping teeth/

harness or connector between ECU and engine speed sensor

No 1 or no 2 cam position sensor

Code 25 Diagnosis abreviated to

Harness or connector between ecu and main oxygen sensor

Fuel line pressure

ignition system

Air intake system

Injector circuit

Water temp sensor

Intake air temp sensor

ECU

There are pages and pages about these codes and what to look for , think this will keep you quiet for a bit!!

Code 31 puts the ECU into fail safe mode, keeping igniton timing and fuel injection volume constant

making it possible to drive the vehicle.

Diagnosis :Harness or connector between ECU and air flow meter

Air flow meter

ECU

Code 13 3 diagnosis listed abreviated down to Engine speed sensor or ECU or Loose timing belt jumping teeth/

harness or connector between ECU and engine speed sensor

No 1 or no 2 cam position sensor

Code 25 Diagnosis abreviated to

Harness or connector between ecu and main oxygen sensor

Fuel line pressure

ignition system

Air intake system

Injector circuit

Water temp sensor

Intake air temp sensor

ECU

There are pages and pages about these codes and what to look for , think this will keep you quiet for a bit!!

Cheers for the replies people...

Royt - thanks for the extra effort....You must have the manual :whistling: ....Looking at all 3 fault explanations, they all mention the ecu connector so hopefully my troubles might be solved by checking wires/connectors and a can of WD40

These pages & pages you mention...... :unsure: How much for a copy of them??? Im right near the cheshire / shropshire border so can easily travel to you, or having to be more patient, if you ever sell your LS then let me know and I'll buy the manual off you

Thanks again

I would copy them for you , but it's really fiddly to get a complete page on, as the book is so thick.

If you have a decent digital camera we could arrange a meet and you could photo what you like!

RPM signal

if there are 2 possible codes, its possibly refering to the cam rpm sensors, one of mine (drivers side) had its cable rubbing against the serpentine belt

I would reseat the connectors for the rpm sensor and the MAF, perhaps with a sqirt of wd40

*****................. don't for god sake put wd40 an a MAF sensor it will make it worse - use carb cleaner it evaporates. WD40 is ok on the connectors

I know for a fact on the 200sx If the sensor is dirty it will under-read the air and therefore put in less fuel to match - this will cause lean running and DET and kill your engine ultimately.

Thanks Roy, i'll see what I can get hold of.....

Sparky - Thanks for the warning, i already knew this & i already have some component contact cleaner for the MAF, i never got round to doing it and now i have to get it done - carefully i know

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links