Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

De-cat Pipe

James S

In theory you could get pulled over by the police for a roadside emissions test, and if you fail they could confiscate your car I think. Although I don't think there's exactly a huge chance of getting pulled like that. I think you'd have to tell the insurance company, yes.

People tend to swap in a cat for the MoT, as you've said.

In theory you could get pulled over by the police for a roadside emissions test, and if you fail they could confiscate your car I think. Although I don't think there's exactly a huge chance of getting pulled like that. I think you'd have to tell the insurance company, yes.

People tend to swap in a cat for the MoT, as you've said.

Don't like the sound of them confiscating my car! I have seen a de-cat pipe on eBay for £80, and thats a lot cheaper then the £370 I have been quoted to replace my Cat, and also adds a bit of power while I'm at it! Seems win win, and could keep my current Cat for MOT time. As it only stays sealed for a few 100 miles.

Just worried about emissions test.

And insurance company

you DONT need a cat for mot and it can still pass!!!if you remove your cat and your emissions are with in the legal limit your car will pass as you dont test for a cat being their if you know what i mean.seen a few cars without cats passing the emissions also toyota and lexus have very clean running engines.

As ormi says you dont need one, you just need your emissions within.,

also the police wouldnt confiscate the car, they'd probably issue you with retest ticket so you have to go get another MOT.

Dont buy the decat pipe off eBay, its not guaranteed to fit as there was slight differences over the years between the middle pipe and the cat section.

I had mine made up at the local exhaust place for £100. they just cut the exhaust when it had just joined together, added flanges and made up a decat section.

so i could just put the cat back in at mot time.

though i would suggest they do it like my new exhaust using v bands as they're easier to get off and more secure than flanges,

Stav

Sorry I should have checked into this more before just relying on what had been said before.

I found this leaflet which explains roadside emissions tests. Basically if you fail one of these you get issued with a notice stopping you using the car, then you have to get the emissions sorted quickly or you'll get prosecuted. There's some wording about if you're in "serious breach" of emission limits then you might just be prosecuted straight away, but I have no idea how much your emissions might be out at the roadside if you're just using a decat pipe.

Just to add, Sky Insurance have a modification form that you fill in whenever you declare new mods, and they have all sorts of existing mods with tick boxes beside them, to cater for common mods. "Decat pipe" is already on there so clearly that's something they're expecting you to declare if you have one. It's not actually illegal to have one as has been said, just that it *might* cause you emissions problems, but with a potential increase in power it's something you'd have to declare or risk having your insurance invalidate if they find out after a claim.

Thanks everyone for all the info, been a great help.

The £370 was all in fitted and guaranteed with all the gaskets and stuff.

Think first step will be to call the insurance company and see on cost of declaring de-cat.

And then if I get it done taking it to local garage and have them test the engine imissions while i have it seviced.

Just to see if I have anything to worry about.

Might try stretch my budget (Visa card) to include a decent cat-back exhaust while i'm at it.

anyone get a stainless steel back end that doesn't make too much noise?????

Blue flame is the way forward with the cat - back system, not too boy racer, just a nice note,

On the bay for £300,

sorted vti tried to organise a group buy quite a while back and was going to get them for £240 if he could get 9 others to join in the buy, but this did not go ahead, damn shame as i would have had one.

Mine was £100 fitted all in as well.

TBH mate if you havent got forced induction or even a decent back box theres not much point,

Have you removed the pre cats from the manifold first? you can take them out and still pass an mot easily.

Stav

Mine was £100 fitted all in as well.

TBH mate if you havent got forced induction or even a decent back box theres not much point,

Have you removed the pre cats from the manifold first? you can take them out and still pass an mot easily.

Stav

Defo considering the blue flame. But also like the look of the HKS Silent Power, can't imagine that being too quiet though!

I haven't removed the pre-cats, or got induction kit. Bu these are defo things that I want to do, and will certainly be getting in the future.

So while I'm dealing with the problem i've got i'd rather do the job right and not have to worry about it again in future.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links