Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New To Lexus

Hi everyone!

I have just joined the forum after buying a V -Reg IS200 over the weekend. I have just moved from a C Class and I must say I am loving the extra kit that you get with the car. I especially like the SatNav but I have a couple of queries:

1. When I move the SatNav is gets a green tint almost as if the backlight/inverter on the TFT is loose. It will revert back occasionally to a full colour screen. Can this be opened and sorted or is a common fault os possibly the TFT screen itself?

2. The maps are seriously out of date and the software does show its age. I used to modify my TomTom on my old C Class and alsways had the lastest software and maps? Can this unit be upgraded (officially or unofficially)?

Sorry to be a pain in my first post.

Nik

Hi there, welcome to LOC!

There is a common fault with the IS200 nav where the ribbon cable to the screen fails over time. This is the most likely cause for the screen changing colour, I'm not too sure on whether it can be repaired or how easy it is to get a replacement cable but it has been covered on here a few times before so have a search for ribbon cable and you should find more info.

The maps can be updated, you can get the latest CD from your dealer or a bit cheaper from HERE. Obviously I won't recommend taking any "unofficial" route ( :whistling: ) but I can say that it's pretty hard to get hold of UK maps for a Lexus for some reason.

Hi and welcome mate.

The short answer to your question is that basically its fooooked and on its way out. Sorry!

I had the same problem! Luckily i managed to get a new screen off eBay. Changing it over is literally a 30 min job and easy to do. It's getting hold of a screen that is the problem.

Like Parthiban said, it's the ribbon cable that's damaged. You may be able to source that on its own from an electronics shop perhaps and have a go at a bit of soldering.

Hi and welcome mate.

The short answer to your question is that basically its fooooked and on its way out. Sorry!

I had the same problem! Luckily i managed to get a new screen off eBay. Changing it over is literally a 30 min job and easy to do. It's getting hold of a screen that is the problem.

Like Parthiban said, it's the ribbon cable that's damaged. You may be able to source that on its own from an electronics shop perhaps and have a go at a bit of soldering.

Thank you for the warm welcome boys and girls :D

I am quite handy with the soldering iron so I will have a got at it. I have found out that if I push it slightly to the left the green tint goes. I will have a look at the connections. Any ideas how the unit comes off? I don't want to do a trial an error.

Nik

Hi and welcome mate.

Thank you for the warm welcome boys and girls :D

I am quite handy with the soldering iron so I will have a got at it. I have found out that if I push it slightly to the left the green tint goes. I will have a look at the connections. Any ideas how the unit comes off? I don't want to do a trial an error.

Nik

Mine did the same too, but progressively got worse and worse until the screen practically went off. you'll probs find that in time the screen will go from green to red then purple, then blank!

I tried several times just taking the unit apart and giving it a "clean", which worked on a temporary basis, but in the long run the ribbon and/or screen will need to be replaced.

I think there is a guide on here somewhere with pictures, but from memory its as follows:

1- You should be able to life up a plastic panel which runs parallel with the width of the screen when closed. Under that there are 2 screws to unscrew

2- Pull unit out towards you (takes a bit of force)

3- Sat Nav Unit then has 2 connections from the dashboard, which you need to unclip (i always found this the hardest part as i have sausage fingers!)

4- Unit should now be free, then its a case of unscrewing various screws to get to the screen.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links