Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

How Do I Remove The Crank Pully For My Car ?

ibby

Step 16 here mate:

http://www.bahamutcars.com/workshop/IS_98-...e/m_em_0020.pdf

you need to use something like a breaker bar to stop it turning.

thats the problem...

I havent got a tool to hold the crank shaft.

so even in gear and brakes on the car engine spins/moves

Ovbiously reading around it looks like that if it is used incorrectly you can damage your crankshaft!

what tools do I need to use ?

Thanks

You need a decent hammer and a lever and a mate...... first you need someone to lever from behind of the pully whilst someone taps the front of the pulley and slowly it will come off as it was that way I got mine off

as for the crank bolt....I put a power bar on it and wedged it to the floor and cranked the engine over for a milli second and hey presto it will come off....

Thanks

You need a decent hammer and a lever and a mate...... first you need someone to lever from behind of the pully whilst someone taps the front of the pulley and slowly it will come off as it was that way I got mine off

as for the crank bolt....I put a power bar on it and wedged it to the floor and cranked the engine over for a milli second and hey presto it will come off....

I dont want to do that...

as something has fallen down the timing belt cover!

so no cranking!

Thanks

so no cranking!

you are not actually cranking the engine over..... the power bar is wedged against the floor so when you turn turn the engine over it is only enough to shock the crank bolt to come loose.... it does work as my mate who is mechanic does this when he gets a stubborn bolt

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks

so no cranking!

you are not actually cranking the engine over..... the power bar is wedged against the floor so when you turn turn the engine over it is only enough to shock the crank bolt to come loose.... it does work as my mate who is mechanic does this when he gets a stubborn bolt

I am still having problems :crybaby:

I bought a crank holder - put that on the crank - to hold it in place...

Used a powerbar... janked at it, jerked it .. still no go!

Can someone confirm if the engine turns clockwise (like normal ones do)?

I tried the starting idea, but that didnt work eighter, it sheared threw a bolt!

yip turn the same way mate.whats fell down your cover mate?

Bits of plastic from the top half of the timing belt cover,

the orginal was cracked - by the radiator, or something and it split and bits of the plastic were inside of the cam pully,

so I remove the cover, and took lots of little bits of plastic out and some bits fell inside.

Ovbiously I dont want to start the car without removing them bits...

and I have sheared somemore bolts!

thats 2 I have been through :crybaby:

i would do the power bar trick mate as your not turning the car over you are just shocking the bolt.ie the wee bits of plastic wont be taken round with the timing belt.

i would do the power bar trick mate as your not turning the car over you are just shocking the bolt.ie the wee bits of plastic wont be taken round with the timing belt.

Thats what I am doing....

This is what I have done...

Used a power Bar, and cranked the engine.

(the socket snapped).

Used a saley crank pully holder, and a power bar and tried to move the bolt..

No movment.

Then used a light tap on the crank with a hammer and tried the second procedure.

But with a friend of mine holding the pullyholder, and yanked at it..

still unable to move the crank bolt! and snapped/sheared the socket.

HELP

what colour of socket you using matey please dont tell me a silver one?can you get a blunt chisel in to the bolt?(not on the sized part their will be a washer thats attached to the bolt)if you give this a few good smacks then powere bar method that should do the trick,thats how we remove the yaris ones(they are a bugger!!)

were do you stay?not full address just a place will do?

sounds like youve bought some **** sockets to me.

never had a socket snap, the bolts normally go before the socket!

These sockets are old! - i would say a 10 years old.

I dont know what brand, all i know they have opened everything ive thrown at it.

including a pully on a honda civic b16.

what colour of socket you using matey please dont tell me a silver one?can you get a blunt chisel in to the bolt?(not on the sized part their will be a washer thats attached to the bolt)if you give this a few good smacks then powere bar method that should do the trick,thats how we remove the yaris ones(they are a bugger!!)

They were both silver, I dont think i can get to the washer as the opening is very small.

I am in wakefield - thats where the car is.

Maybe I should buy one of these ...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId_165727

I have seen a cheap SIP, and just use the sockets from that set,

(I dont have a compressor)

I dont know what brand, all i know they have opened everything ive thrown at it.

They were both silver, I dont think i can get to the washer as the opening is very small.

hey matey I am in Knottingly so not to far away if the car is driveable fetch it over and I will crack the bolt for ya, if not I may be able to pop accross and crack it for ya....never had no probs with mine

silver sockets are no good for this type of work,what you need is impact sockets(normally black)they will be well up too the job mate silver ones are for hand tools mate.

to be honest mate you could get a set cheaper than that you could even just buy the impact socket you need only about a tenner.

hey matey I am in Knottingly so not to far away if the car is driveable fetch it over and I will crack the bolt for ya, if not I may be able to pop accross and crack it for ya....never had no probs with mine

Cars not drivable,

Its all broken :(

(front end damage)

silver sockets are no good for this type of work,what you need is impact sockets(normally black)they will be well up too the job mate silver ones are for hand tools mate.

to be honest mate you could get a set cheaper than that you could even just buy the impact socket you need only about a tenner.

I will get an impact wrench set.

I would get a decent socket, I have the Halfrauds Professional and they are good quality for amateur work. They have a lifetime guarantee and if you break one of them they replace with no questions, or so I'm told, never broken anything yet!

If you take the rad out can you get an impact driver in there? Like THIS

i'm with macRS200, get impact/hardened socket, and then remove radiator,

but i suggest using air and spend less than 2 seconds removing the bolt

i think it may be easier getting a compressor than all that other stuff you are doing.

but i have heard of people doing the other, bracing the breaker bar and turning the key or jumping the solenoid to loosen the bolt.

• 1 month later...
i'm with macRS200, get impact/hardened socket, and then remove radiator,

but i suggest using air and spend less than 2 seconds removing the bolt

i think it may be easier getting a compressor than all that other stuff you are doing.

but i have heard of people doing the other, bracing the breaker bar and turning the key or jumping the solenoid to loosen the bolt.

update

I bought my self a set of impact wrench bolts.

and still no joy,

I crank the engine, but it refuses to move :crybaby:

the engine turns over alittle and stops the bolt is still tight!

anyone got any ideas ?

:unsure:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links