Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Noises At The Font Passenger Side Mainly Help!

Greedy80

Hello to everyone I have just had my discs and pads replaced along with my 70K service, and my cambelt (plus idler and tensioner) all replcaed on my 51 plate IS200se.

However having had the work done only yesterday, now whenever I drive over short sharp repetetive bumps I can hear a clanging metal against metal sound coming from the front passeger side wheel area (I'm no mechanic). I drove to work with the radio of and the window down so I could better hear what was happening, the sound was most apparent when I drove over the kind of raised painted lines that you get on road near areas warning you to slow down (the thin rather raised kind rather than the wider flatter ones if that makes sense) at around 30-40mph. Also very apparent when the oss side wheel went over a drain cover whilst under a railway bridge. Here I could clearly hear what sounds like loose metal clanging together. It is plainly audible from the passenger side front wheel, however to give you more info if I go through a small bump in the road it doesn't necessarily occur it seems to be short sharp strikes that make it happen like drain covers and the lines I have mentioned. It simply doesn't sound as together and solid as the drivers side front which by the way is perfect and produces the kind of normal reasurring noise when you go over such bumps in the road.

While drivng to help ascertain what might be up I drove at mid to high speed while cornering both left and right (where safe) and no noises could be provoked everything was fine, it seems only up and down suspensional movements can make the sounds occur.

When I reached my destination I got out and put the wheels from lock to lock to see if anything obvious was wrong on either side of the car and nothing could be seen. I put the wheels back straight and shook the wheel with no noise being made, however I then banged the side wall of the tyre with the side of my fist quite hard and I could hear what sound like two loose pieces of metal hitting one another. I did this on the driver side and the sound could be heard here to but I had to bang harder to provoke it. These sounds do not occur from the reaer wheels!

I was just wondering if anyone could help? I have called the mechanics who I have to say I do trust and they say that it could be that the pads have yet to settle in and could be the cause of this, he went on to say that during the service checks nothing was seen to be wrong in the area where the noises are. He basically said give it a couple of days and the breaks will bed in and hopefully the noises will go. However I have to say it is disconcerting and my big thing is I don't want to becausing any damage to the car by driving it if it isn't just a simple case of breaks bedding in. The clanging sound doesn't to my mind sound like the breaks but like I said I'm no mechanic. I'm thinking I'll drive it home tonight and turn up at the garage very early tomorrow and just get the guy to take a very quick look and do the wheel punch test at least. I don't wnna damage anything.

Now of course everything is running through my mind like could it be bushes or a balljoint or god knows what suspension related of course this is the mind set of somone who cares a lot about their car. Anybody had a similar issue?

Any help is as always greatly received. :crybaby:

Hello to everyone I have just had my discs and pads replaced along with my 70K service, and my cambelt (plus idler and tensioner) all replcaed on my 51 plate IS200se.

However having had the work done only yesterday, now whenever I drive over short sharp repetetive bumps I can hear a clanging metal against metal sound coming from the front passeger side wheel area (I'm no mechanic). I drove to work with the radio of and the window down so I could better hear what was happening, the sound was most apparent when I drove over the kind of raised painted lines that you get on road near areas warning you to slow down (the thin rather raised kind rather than the wider flatter ones if that makes sense) at around 30-40mph. Also very apparent when the oss side wheel went over a drain cover whilst under a railway bridge. Here I could clearly hear what sounds like loose metal clanging together. It is plainly audible from the passenger side front wheel, however to give you more info if I go through a small bump in the road it doesn't necessarily occur it seems to be short sharp strikes that make it happen like drain covers and the lines I have mentioned. It simply doesn't sound as together and solid as the drivers side front which by the way is perfect and produces the kind of normal reasurring noise when you go over such bumps in the road.

While drivng to help ascertain what might be up I drove at mid to high speed while cornering both left and right (where safe) and no noises could be provoked everything was fine, it seems only up and down suspensional movements can make the sounds occur.

When I reached my destination I got out and put the wheels from lock to lock to see if anything obvious was wrong on either side of the car and nothing could be seen. I put the wheels back straight and shook the wheel with no noise being made, however I then banged the side wall of the tyre with the side of my fist quite hard and I could hear what sound like two loose pieces of metal hitting one another. I did this on the driver side and the sound could be heard here to but I had to bang harder to provoke it. These sounds do not occur from the reaer wheels!

I was just wondering if anyone could help? I have called the mechanics who I have to say I do trust and they say that it could be that the pads have yet to settle in and could be the cause of this, he went on to say that during the service checks nothing was seen to be wrong in the area where the noises are. He basically said give it a couple of days and the breaks will bed in and hopefully the noises will go. However I have to say it is disconcerting and my big thing is I don't want to becausing any damage to the car by driving it if it isn't just a simple case of breaks bedding in. The clanging sound doesn't to my mind sound like the breaks but like I said I'm no mechanic. I'm thinking I'll drive it home tonight and turn up at the garage very early tomorrow and just get the guy to take a very quick look and do the wheel punch test at least. I don't wnna damage anything.

Now of course everything is running through my mind like could it be bushes or a balljoint or god knows what suspension related of course this is the mind set of somone who cares a lot about their car. Anybody had a similar issue?

Any help is as always greatly received. :crybaby:

Check for loose wheel nuts on n/s or poss loose claliper mounting bolts, drive very slowly back to garage and no high speed corners, BE CAREFUL something is not right, please keep us informed of outcome, Phil

I agree with Phil it sounds very odd and not like pads at all. I would assume that you are braking as you go over the lines on the road, if so the pads should be "clamped" to the disk. Check as Phil and get it back to the garage ASAP.

I agree with Phil it sounds very odd and not like pads at all. I would assume that you are braking as you go over the lines on the road, if so the pads should be "clamped" to the disk. Check as Phil and get it back to the garage ASAP.

It does it even when I'm not breaking, but Inwill defo be taking it back to the garage tonight or tmrw mornin depending on what time they close.

It does it even when I'm not breaking, but Inwill defo be taking it back to the garage tonight or tmrw mornin depending on what time they close.

What I ment was that if it was the pads rattling it would not happen when you are braking, also the pads should not rattle anyway if they are correctly fitted and all the bits put back on.

What I ment was that if it was the pads rattling it would not happen when you are braking, also the pads should not rattle anyway if they are correctly fitted and all the bits put back on.

It is NOT loose pads in carrier/yoke if it is, they have fitted wrong pads, IT is something not correctly installed by mechanic at garage.

It is NOT loose pads in carrier/yoke if it is, they have fitted wrong pads, IT is something not correctly installed by mechanic at garage.

What I said!

If you reach through the spokes on the wheel and flick or "twang" the backing plate behind the disk, does it rattle?

No I already checked the dust guard it's solid no problems there.

I have now taken the car back and the garage are very appologetic and are looking at it for me as we speak and for free with a loan car can't complain so long as nothing else is damaged. Fingers crossed I'll let you guys know what it was when I have my car back. I really don't think it's the discs or the pads they are solid and the pads don't seem to slip at all and they look well seated and greased in all the right places. We shall see.....

Thanks for your replies though guys

If you reach through the spokes on the wheel and flick or "twang" the backing plate behind the disk, does it rattle?

No I already checked the dust guard it's solid no problems there.

I have now taken the car back and the garage are very appologetic and are looking at it for me as we speak and for free with a loan car can't complain so long as nothing else is damaged. Fingers crossed I'll let you guys know what it was when I have my car back. I really don't think it's the discs or the pads they are solid and the pads don't seem to slip at all and they look well seated and greased in all the right places. We shall see.....

Thanks for your replies though guys

Your welcome g80, please let us know what the fault was though, always interested on the outcome of these fault, as a lot of people post quwstions and never come back with end result.

i had this problem too........the fix remove the slides and grease also check that the bottom slide has the wee rubber ring round it and yes mine rattled even when i was braking aswell.the reason i can only put down to their not being as much of the slide in pad carrier than with the worn pads their for allowing more movement.

I have exactly the same problem!

Test drove my lexus, everything fine. On collection the garage had serviced it and replaced the front pads. Ever since, both sides, especially the passenger side click and clack when I go over humps or slight bumps in the road.

I took the car back, they took the pads out, checked them, reinserted them and said everything was o.k.

To this day they still click and clack. There are so many threads on this forum about brake slap. Not sure what you can do to cure it.

I swear its design fault with Lexus.

My car goes in for a service next month, ill get them to check it then

Let me know what the outcome is.

joe

Test drove my lexus, everything fine. On collection the garage had serviced it and replaced the front pads. Ever since, both sides, especially the passenger side click and clack when I go over humps or slight bumps in the road.

I took the car back, they took the pads out, checked them, reinserted them and said everything was o.k.

To this day they still click and clack. There are so many threads on this forum about brake slap. Not sure what you can do to cure it.

joe

i have no brake slap/noise from the front or rear of mine as long as all moving parts are greased and the rattle shims haven't been throwen away you should have no noise.

joe

i have no brake slap/noise from the front or rear of mine as long as all moving parts are greased and the rattle shims haven't been throwen away you should have no noise.

THE RESULT!

Basically just as the mighty Ormi suggested and as I have read on here before it was the slides in the caliper on the OSF which had not been greased enough and was causing the metal rattling sound. The car is now perfect and after all the work I had done is now even better than it was before the service, very pleased indeed to be driving a car that handles and drives as positively as the is200.

I was given two hondas as loan cars which I have no doubt are reliable and everything but both the accord and civic felt as if they were made of rubber in every respect interior, handling and breaking. Makes me glad to have an IS200 and makes me worry that the inevitable next car I get (whatever that maybe) won't be as good to drive. For example what are the new IS250's like? Are they as good or do they feel a little dulled down? Anyway no need to replace my car for a few years yet, I love it!

Once again thanks to all for your input it helped an anxious man get through yesterday, gladly the garrage appologiesed and did the work for nothing same day. They also replced my Battery for me for free! They completed the 70k service, fitted the cambelt, idler and tensioner (supplied by me from eBay japarts), fitted and supplied all other belts at the same time and fitted my mintex break box kit all for £329.86! Which I thought was pretty good the break box was £90 inlcuding discs and pads and the cambelt kit was £130. Interested to hear what you guys think.

Hope this helps anyone who has experienced the same problem and like me aren't mechanics, I have to say the noise that was produced before I had the issue fixed was rather loud and worrying. To be honest I was unsure if simply greasing the pins would work such was the severity of the noise. However it did completely and the car is perfect once again.

joe

The noise you are describeing sounds like the pads moving in your calliper housing..( its the retaining springs clips ) the best way to stop it is by taking the pads out and pulling the retaining spring clips out slightly so that it makes the pads fit tighter in the housing.. then you re-fit them,

it only happens because the pads get lower and the spring clips get looser....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links