Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Im Taking The Pplunge And Buying A Lexus :d (i Think)

Hi all

I am a new member to the forums, but have been reading through them for some time now

I know how annoying it is when people post questions that have been posted before so my apologies if this has already cropped up!

As the title suggests I have decided to purchase a second hand Lexus IS 220d. I have done a lot of research and it seems to be a love or hate vehicle.

I can only afford a medium-high mileage 2006 (55/06/56) model.

Couple of things then. I cant find an actual spec sheet for the model varients i.e SE, SE-L, SE-I, also the mutimedia from what i can seems to be an option on any of the models i have mentioned. Does anyone know where I can get access to these?

For those that have had to service one outside the warranty how have the servicing costs been? Any ideas on what it costs for basics such as brakes etc?

Finally, is there anything I should look out for before I buy one. I know about the fuel economy issues on some, but anything else i should pay cloase attention to?

any help would be mucho mucho appreciated

'Finally, is there anything I should look out for before I buy one. I know about the fuel economy issues on some, but anything else i should pay cloase attention to?'

Yes, the engine.

Hi, only joking, well sort of.

Wait for the incoming 'don't buy it responses'!

It's not the best diesel, if you must have a diesel buy a BMW, Ford etc. If you want a really nice petrol, buy an IS 250!!!

Welcome to LOC!

The SE comes with extras over the Base spec such as

Leather Seats

Electric seats

Heated and cooled seats

17" alloys

The SE-L comes adds

Memory seats, wing mirrors and seating column

Auto Dipping rear mirror and wing mirrors

Illuminated front kick plates

Electric ear sun blind

Bi-xenon adaptive head lights, head light washers & auto leveling

Wood trim inserts instead of sliver

That’s all I can think of at the moment. I’m sure someone will post anything I’ve missed out!

The SE-I is a new trim level which was added in the 09 facelift

The multimedia pack was available on all trim levels as you mentioned.

"If you want a really nice petrol, buy an IS 250!!!"

I have to agree. From reading posts on this forum, the IS 250 AUTO looks like the model to have

Hope this helps

'Finally, is there anything I should look out for before I buy one. I know about the fuel economy issues on some, but anything else i should pay cloase attention to?'

Yes, the engine.

Hi, only joking, well sort of.

Wait for the incoming 'don't buy it responses'!

It's not the best diesel, if you must have a diesel buy a BMW, Ford etc. If you want a really nice petrol, buy an IS 250!!!

Hi, thanks for the response. Yes i am expecting a few dont buy its :D

I cant afford a beamer for initial cost and maintenance reasons. I dont want a ford either. My current car is a 2000 W reg Honda Accord executive. So i want, what i class as an upgrade! The Lexus is brilliantly specced and has all the bells and whistles my accord does, and then some. I also wanted something that was different to everything else you see.

I considered the accord ctdi but i just dont like how it looks. the lexus however looks really nice and isnt too big either. (my partner doesnt want a big car :P

Welcome to LOC!

The SE comes with extras over the Base spec such as

Leather Seats

Electric seats

Heated and cooled seats

17" Alloys

The SE-L comes adds

Memory seats, wing mirrors and seating column

Auto Dipping rear mirror and wing mirrors

Illuminated front kick plates

Electric ear sun blind

Bi-xenon adaptive head lights, head light washers & auto leveling

Wood trim inserts instead of sliver

That’s all I can think of at the moment. I’m sure someone will post anything I’ve missed out!

Where did you get this info from or is it just memory?

I dont understand how a car with a different engine can be completely different build quality?? The chassis and materials I would have thought would have been identical.

I need a diesel as I will be potentially doing a lot of mileage, plus my standard journey to work is mainly motorway or dual carriageway

The SE-I is a new trim level which was added in the 09 facelift

The multimedia pack was available on all trim levels as you mentioned.

"If you want a really nice petrol, buy an IS 250!!!"

I have to agree. From reading posts on this forum, the IS 250 AUTO looks like the model to have

Hope this helps

Its just from memory.

From what i have read, the biggest problem with the IS220D is the engine. The IS250 is a much better engine and if driven carefully can often achieve MPG figures close to an IS220D on a long run. This was even mentioned by the dealer we bought our car from on more than one occasion.

Hello

at the end of the day it is your choice, if you was to read everything mentioned on this forum

you probably would not even buy a Lexus, as what is good for one is not good for another.

when i first purchased my IS200 i was told by a guy to look on this site, and i must admit,

it nearly put me off buying one bad gear box knocking ball joints corroding wheels etc etc

but i did buy one and it never missed a beat, i finally parted company with it at 149k on the clock

and all things mentioned to look for never went wrong with the car strange that.

I then decided to buy a 220d SE MM on a 55 plate registered last day in 2005 probably one of the first

diesels

i have had the car for 17 months now and i love it. purchased from Stratstone

first reason i purchased it was yes Diesel more MPG compared to the IS200

second reason i really liked the spec and colour

full leather MM sat nav rear parking camera also factory fitted sunroof 17" alloy wheels

in caxton slate,

i then went for a test drive and it felt great and was well in my budget

i paid £14k and my IS200 for a car with 17000 miles on the clock.

Yes the car has been back to Lexus for the usuall recalls

and today i have just had my 40000 mile service done by lexus £324.00

which is not bad for main dealer

and i still love the car. and i AVG on fuel 40MPG

only thing i can say is get a SE with MM and rear parking camera (this is a must have ) & 17" wheels

Remember it is you that has to drive it not anyone on this forum, so go and test one

and see for yourself

Regards

Matt

Hi all

I am a new member to the forums, but have been reading through them for some time now

I know how annoying it is when people post questions that have been posted before so my apologies if this has already cropped up!

As the title suggests I have decided to purchase a second hand Lexus IS 220d. I have done a lot of research and it seems to be a love or hate vehicle.

I can only afford a medium-high mileage 2006 (55/06/56) model.

Couple of things then. I cant find an actual spec sheet for the model varients i.e SE, SE-L, SE-I, also the mutimedia from what i can seems to be an option on any of the models i have mentioned. Does anyone know where I can get access to these?

For those that have had to service one outside the warranty how have the servicing costs been? Any ideas on what it costs for basics such as brakes etc?

Finally, is there anything I should look out for before I buy one. I know about the fuel economy issues on some, but anything else i should pay cloase attention to?

any help would be mucho mucho appreciated

Hi Jaspabt

I have a 220d se (57) and I love it, I think I may be one of the lucky ones no rattles and I get on average 42 MPG. I have to say that that is travelling to and from work a round journey of 25 miles and I am a steady driver. Goes without saying that this increases on a long journey to around 45ish.

Had a 20k servise two weeks back which cost me £250 at Minnories Durham which is part of the same group as the Lexus dealership in Newcastle where I was quoted about £100 more.

On the down side the boot is small but I can still get two sets of golf clubs in quite easy. Make sure you check the alloys and wheel nuts for corrosion. Merv

I got a 2008 IS220d se Multimedia in March this year. No rattles, no squeaks,quiet (after initial start up), 36MPG (with a lot of Dublin heavy traffic driving), 40plus MPG on runs. Incredibly comfortable, fantastic Mark Levison stereo surroud sound system,Bluetooth,sat nav, Reverse camera(how i lasted all these years without one, i will never know),loads of poke when i need it. It even warms my rear end with the heated seats on a cold morning :blush: !!!!t may have its critics, but so far, i am absolutely delighted with it and i wouldnt swap it for any car in it's class. Remember that this is a Lexus forum and as such you will have people on this site posting with problems. Take one for a drive (do go for at least the se trim with multimedia) and i am sure you will love it.

I got a 2008 IS220d se Multimedia in March this year. No rattles, no squeaks,quiet (after initial start up), 36MPG (with a lot of Dublin heavy traffic driving), 40plus MPG on runs. Incredibly comfortable, fantastic Mark Levison stereo surroud sound system,Bluetooth,sat nav, Reverse camera(how i lasted all these years without one, i will never know),loads of poke when i need it. It even warms my rear end with the heated seats on a cold morning :blush: !!!!t may have its critics, but so far, i am absolutely delighted with it and i wouldnt swap it for any car in it's class. Remember that this is a Lexus forum and as such you will have people on this site posting with problems. Take one for a drive (do go for at least the se trim with multimedia) and i am sure you will love it.

Cheers for the response. Its good to hear some good news stories for the car. Do you notice any issues in first gear or gear changing? I agree that the rear parking sensors is a must, the camera would be fantastic. My budget is tight so I am just gonna have to sit it out and wait for theright one to come along. Out of curiosity how many miles has yours done? Some have said the car gets worst once the miles get over 30k? The car I buy will have more than this to start with and i intend to keep it for atleast 5 years

Cheers for the response. Its good to hear some good news stories for the car. Do you notice any issues in first gear or gear changing? I agree that the rear parking sensors is a must, the camera would be fantastic. My budget is tight so I am just gonna have to sit it out and wait for theright one to come along. Out of curiosity how many miles has yours done? Some have said the car gets worst once the miles get over 30k? The car I buy will have more than this to start with and i intend to keep it for atleast 5 years

No probs changing gear. There is a bit of turbo lag in first gear but it then quickly takes off, ( you do get used to that). If you dont think you can live with that, go for the petrol 250 auto. I would have went for that myself, but tax on a 2.5 litre car in Ireland would give me a nose bleed. Mine has done 28k miles and has still another 14/15 months of warranty remaining. It is still on its original tyres, with a few miles left on them. By the way, the reversing camera also has guide lines that show the final positioning of the car as you turn the steering wheel!

No probs changing gear. There is a bit of turbo lag in first gear but it then quickly takes off, ( you do get used to that). If you dont think you can live with that, go for the petrol 250 auto. I would have went for that myself, but tax on a 2.5 litre car in Ireland would give me a nose bleed. Mine has done 28k miles and has still another 14/15 months of warranty remaining. It is still on its original tyres, with a few miles left on them. By the way, the reversing camera also has guide lines that show the final positioning of the car as you turn the steering wheel!

Turbo lag? Didn't think that these cars have a turbo fitted as standard.

Turbo lag? Didn't think that these cars have a turbo fitted as standard.

All modern diesels have a turbo, otherwise they would chug along like they did in the early 1980's.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice car but would not buy one outside warranty, the repairs are so expensive. Luckily mine is on contract so I don't pay. I reckon the car has cost the lease company around £3k since the warranty ran out. The car is an 06 base 220d with 99k on the clock.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links