Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Newbie Asking A Question!

momo88

How you doing guys? Im new here, going to look at a lexus is200 tomorrow and after looking through the forum i know what to look for. but my question just now is am i getting a good deal for my money.

Its a 1999 V plate navigator sport model. 125k miles done. 5months tax, 8months mot. Its been 30k miles since the cambelt and waterpump were changed. and 5months since its last service. The standard alloys have no corrosion. Leather/alacantra interior is flawless. All electrics work perfectly.

For £2300, what do you guys think?

Also, i want to check the state of the cambelt, is it just a matter of a couple of 10mm bolts to take the cover off? The cambelt sits at the front of the engine bay? (closest to you if your standing infront of the car, facing the windscreen?

Thanks guys

Mo

just found this link for the examining of the belt.

http://www.bahamutcars.com/workshop/IS_98-...e/m_em_0018.pdf

But id still like to know if people think this is worth the buy? Im thinking im getting a lot fo car for my money?...

Not sure if used car prices differ up there from south England, but sounds like a good asking price if the car is in good nick. Your bound to knock a few quid off too if you try. Old Lexus are very good for the prices used cars sell for. My only advice is don't rush into buying. Waiting for the perfect car and being quick to view them can get you an amazing deal. Best of luck!

Hi Momo, welcome to the club.

I've maybe missed you but Is it today you are going to see the car??? not the best roads for a first drive of one that's for sure!!!

If you have done your homework on this site there is a few things to look out for, i would deffo take a couple of cd's with you to try out the headunit.

Check inside front tyres for uneven wear.

The cambelt, 60Kfrom new, then every 30K from then on is what is recommended by lexus, this may be over the top, but you dont take chances with cambelts, especially if they are aftermarket ones!!! so i would budget to have this done.

all 2nd hand cars have increased in value recently, IS200 are no different, but i would be looking for some money off as a timing belt, tensioner & idler will set you back upward of $100 + fitting!!

Tell us how you get on bud.

cheers for the replys guys! im from a north ayrshire, just in a lil town.

Yea i went down to see the car and fell in love lol! tried my hardest not to show that i loved it soon as i saw it( gay i know lol!) but had a good look round it, reali good nick apart from a lil bit of paint flaking on the rear bumper and the spare was a bit close to the limit. brought my bassline 3cd album to try out the stereo and boy was i surprised by the quality from it.Everything works perfectly, heated seats, mirrors, windows so happy days:) took the car to kwik fit with the seller, had the brakes looked over as well as the tyres. All is well :D

so i wake up in the morning and switch the engine on, and the oil pressure light comes on. Now i have a fairly decent knowledge of cars. Am i right in saying this is due to the oil being very thick-due to the coldness-and not flowing as quick as normal and therefore making the car think the pressure is too low?

I phoned a lexus dealer and asked about it, but when i called i gave my thoughts as above and im a bit worried incase the was just agreeing with me as not to look like an idiot. Or infact he was telling the truth and i have nothing to worry about as after leaving the car idle til its reaches the midway pount on the temp gauge a lil drive the light goes off.

Would a resolution to the problem be getting a thinner oil?!

Wow this is turning out to be a long post, but i have more...

After a few hours driving and listening to the cds. i turn it off as i get a call on my mobile, after the call i switch it back on but the cd player fails to read the cd! That was yesterday and its still not reading cds!. Theres not much point in questioning the seller, as he showed me the cd player working with all 6discs in.

I thought that maybe it was the cold weather effecting it, but i had the heating on full for a good while and nothing has changed:(

Someone please help me:(

cheers for the replys guys! im from a north ayrshire, just in a lil town.

Yea i went down to see the car and fell in love lol! tried my hardest not to show that i loved it soon as i saw it( gay i know lol!) but had a good look round it, reali good nick apart from a lil bit of paint flaking on the rear bumper and the spare was a bit close to the limit. brought my bassline 3cd album to try out the stereo and boy was i surprised by the quality from it.Everything works perfectly, heated seats, mirrors, windows so happy days:) took the car to kwik fit with the seller, had the brakes looked over as well as the tyres. All is well :D

so i wake up in the morning and switch the engine on, and the oil pressure light comes on. Now i have a fairly decent knowledge of cars. Am i right in saying this is due to the oil being very thick-due to the coldness-and not flowing as quick as normal and therefore making the car think the pressure is too low?

I phoned a lexus dealer and asked about it, but when i called i gave my thoughts as above and im a bit worried incase the was just agreeing with me as not to look like an idiot. Or infact he was telling the truth and i have nothing to worry about as after leaving the car idle til its reaches the midway pount on the temp gauge a lil drive the light goes off.

Would a resolution to the problem be getting a thinner oil?!

Wow this is turning out to be a long post, but i have more...

After a few hours driving and listening to the cds. i turn it off as i get a call on my mobile, after the call i switch it back on but the cd player fails to read the cd! That was yesterday and its still not reading cds!. Theres not much point in questioning the seller, as he showed me the cd player working with all 6discs in.

I thought that maybe it was the cold weather effecting it, but i had the heating on full for a good while and nothing has changed:(

Someone please help me:(

hmmmmm.. well looks the cd changer has R.I.P. then your better off looking for another one, but maybe replace it with a more superior headunit. Its xmas sales at the moment so maybe good time to look. Im sure the folks here can give you some advice on what head units to look out for.

welcome to the club :)

You think so?:( it died right infront of me!? boo!

Well i have a single din dvd player unit i could use, but what else could i put in the other din? Is it even possible? Plus i love the sounds quality that come from the speakers? Will i lose that if i by-pass this amp people talk about when referring to the standard speaker system?

On a more important note, what do people think about the oil pressure carry on!?

Thanks guys :)

which oil is in there at the moment? i always use 10-40 and its never given me any problems however these last few days with temp near 0, thinking of putting in some 5-40 as i can feel some resistance when cranking and driving until its warm.

yea my cd player did the same to me, ul have to get a amp bypass lead and facia to put in your unit, not that expensive. with the facia i used there is just a tiny cubby hole left where i leave my ipod.

tbh with you mate i dont know what oil is in it, didnt feel that was something i should ask. I was planning on changing the oil anyway so is 5-40 a thinner oil?

If i were to use my unit and put in the amp bypass lead does that mean i lose out on the amp powering the speakers? Its just the use of the word 'bypass' makes me think it becomes obsolete.

sorry the oil i meant was 5w-30, typo there. yea its thinner and gives better protection to the engine in low temperatures like the winter were having at the moment where its only like 2 degrees late afternoon.

yes with an amp bypass lead you will lose the factory amp powering the speakers, but tbh, with the quality of the aftermarket units these days you will hardly notice the difference. im running a fusion cd-500 with mine and i actually think the quality with that is better of that than the factory amp. but it all depends on which head unit you put in.

the reason you need an amplifier bypass lead is that there is not an iso connection behind the dash with the sport models. theres just 2 weird plugs that wont fit into a unit just like that. a bypass lead will take the feed coming into the amp and put it nicely into a iso lead for you so you can connect an aftermarket unit.

hope that helps and if im wrong, im sure someone will correct me.

welcome to lexus mate anyway, im fairly new, had my lex 7 months now and cant fault it even one bit.

How you doing guys? Im new here, going to look at a lexus is200 tomorrow and after looking through the forum i know what to look for. but my question just now is am i getting a good deal for my money.

Its a 1999 V plate navigator sport model. 125k miles done. 5months tax, 8months mot. Its been 30k miles since the cambelt and waterpump were changed. and 5months since its last service. The standard alloys have no corrosion. Leather/alacantra interior is flawless. All electrics work perfectly.

For £2300, what do you guys think?

Also, i want to check the state of the cambelt, is it just a matter of a couple of 10mm bolts to take the cover off? The cambelt sits at the front of the engine bay? (closest to you if your standing infront of the car, facing the windscreen?

Thanks guys

Mo

Hi Mate

Dont worry about the mileage I sold mine (99/T Sport) at 117K and now my friend has it and has done 200k and drives like new. The orice is about right considerding spec!

The sport model is the best to go for as it has a few xtras i.e silver pedals, 15mm lower, slight tints on rear windows, sport grill etc (depending on year) but has best resale value.

Where did the service and camblet get done? Was it Lexus or a good independant? if so they will have done the work and of you have a reciept the work will be gaurenteed. The cambelt last 6 years or 100k whichever comes sooner.

If the alloys have no corrosion they definately have had a refurb either way your laughing as it approx £50 a corner.

If it drives smooth feels tight, everything works and you like it go for it.

I used to get my oil changed every 6k religeously as I purchased it with 50k after 5 years in 2005 and it never missed a beat.

The only thing I got done to mine was Cambelt/water pump at purchase and new cluth at 80k. I also changed the pads and the obvious service and oil change in 3.5 years of ownership they really are bullet proof cars.

Enjoy!

Mines down 147k i got it with no service history its still drives tight. My pal has a sport his has covered 145k and only has it looked at when something goes wrong never has it serviced just the odd set of plugs if its misfires and the odd oil change usualy at mot time. his feels a little harder than mine but then his is the sport so would expect it.

Did you say the oil presure light is on until it warms up after a short drive? personally i wouldnt drive anywhere with oil light on. Get it looked at and if you bought it from a dealer then take it back if you have doubts its got a warenty dont be affraid to complain

nah it goes away when the car heats up to the normal temperature, middle of the temp gauge. So pretty confident its just the cold. i started the engine in the driveway this morning and as expected, the light came on but when i came back to it when the temp had gone to the middle of the gauge the light had gone off:) so hppy with that. But il be giving it an oil change next week sometime.

For future reference what would you call that temperature that the car is after it heat up properly. (middle of the gauge)

Thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links