Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi , no not the Wheeler Dealer episode lol, Ive just watched a recorded program Top Dog Cars from last week. It put a LS against a Jag(cr@p) Not heard anyone mention it before.

Its Top Dog Cars on men and motors , sky178, Bound to be repeated lol.

Ive also got a album track with a LS in the song but but cant remember the singer lol

steve

Its a basic format programme with Penny Mallory, Two car owners sell their car to three judges who pick good and bad points and a test drive .Then they vote a winner. The jag won. The judges had no taste and kept saying the lex was a old mans car !!! against a jag !!!!!! . UNBELIEVABLE.

Chris,, didnt know randy newman so loooked the track up on last fm. Made me wait right till the end to hear the Lexus line lol. Good track though. I imagine his voice is amazing on your system.Not the track i was thinking of though, so will have to find it.

Steve

Not sure whether I should to put this or not, but I do know that Jaguar were very concerned about the arrival of this new car from Japan in the early 90's once they realised that it was eating into their sales, and they had two LS400's that were in the process of being stripped down to find out why people were saying such wonderful things about it, at the end they couldn't believe how something of that quality and level of engineering could be sold for that price. Anyhow, the 'new' 1994 XJ was a significant improvement over it's predecessor .....

Not sure whether I should to put this or not, but I do know that Jaguar were very concerned about the arrival of this new car from Japan in the early 90's once they realised that it was eating into their sales, and they had two LS400's that were in the process of being stripped down to find out why people were saying such wonderful things about it, at the end they couldn't believe how something of that quality and level of engineering could be sold for that price.

A few years ago, I was talking to a former work colleague who had gone to work for Jaguar in a pretty senior role. She had not long joined the company and in her eyes Jaguar could do no wrong. Any rude remarks I made about the cars were greeted with sense of humour failure. And then she drove one of those early LS400s which Jaguar had for evaluation. Someone else told me that when she handed they keys over the following morning, she said "We might as well give up now".

I seem to remember that in the US, Lexus outsold Jaguar, BMW and Mercedes IN THEIR FIRST FULL YEAR. Perhaps someone could verify this?

Not sure whether I should to put this or not, but I do know that Jaguar were very concerned about the arrival of this new car from Japan in the early 90's once they realised that it was eating into their sales, and they had two LS400's that were in the process of being stripped down to find out why people were saying such wonderful things about it, at the end they couldn't believe how something of that quality and level of engineering could be sold for that price.

A few years ago, I was talking to a former work colleague who had gone to work for Jaguar in a pretty senior role. She had not long joined the company and in her eyes Jaguar could do no wrong. Any rude remarks I made about the cars were greeted with sense of humour failure. And then she drove one of those early LS400s which Jaguar had for evaluation. Someone else told me that when she handed they keys over the following morning, she said "We might as well give up now".

I seem to remember that in the US, Lexus outsold Jaguar, BMW and Mercedes IN THEIR FIRST FULL YEAR. Perhaps someone could verify this?

Yes I think that's right.

Obviously the Amerigos* have less snobbery about brands than us Celts!

*After Amerigo Vespucci who named the US. Though it was discovered NOT by Columbus, but by Ericsson, an Icelandic Dane. (Oh and 2 Portuguese guys flew from Portugal to Rio years before the "First transatlantic flight" too! We're much too Euro-centric?

kept saying the lex was a old mans car !!! against a jag !!!!!! .

I thought you weren't legally allowed to buy a Jag unless you produced your pension slip! :lol:

*After Amerigo Vespucci who named the US. Though it was discovered NOT by Columbus, but by Ericsson, an Icelandic Dane. (Oh and 2 Portuguese guys flew from Portugal to Rio years before the "First transatlantic flight" too! We're much too Euro-centric?

Joseph Wilson Swan had a working light bulb in 1860....Edisons 1879 patent was for "Improvement In Electric Lights",by the time he was selling his first bulbs Swan's house was alight with his own bulbs running off Hydro Electric power!

I had a 1995 Jaguar X300 (the face lifted XJ6) before the Lexus. Now, we are all aware that the LS has one or two common faults (such as the blinking instruments and blackening Air Con displays on early models), but not too much else. The Jag had a long list of common faults, and unfortunately, my car had them all, one after another. fix one, and another would appear. Although the ride qualiy was fantasic, I had just about enough of it after 10 weeks of ownership, so sold it (at a loss, let alone the money I spent on it repairing it).

No matter what i read, about how good Jags are, I'll never have another in preference to an LS. I lived and learnt a bit too late.

I had a 1995 Jaguar X300 (the face lifted XJ6) before the Lexus. Now, we are all aware that the LS has one or two common faults (such as the blinking instruments and blackening Air Con displays on early models), but not too much else. The Jag had a long list of common faults, and unfortunately, my car had them all, one after another. fix one, and another would appear. Although the ride qualiy was fantasic, I had just about enough of it after 10 weeks of ownership, so sold it (at a loss, let alone the money I spent on it repairing it).

No matter what i read, about how good Jags are, I'll never have another in preference to an LS. I lived and learnt a bit too late.

I have to say the new Jags do look rather nice. I think they'll be a bit more reliable than the previous models although nothing will beat the Lex of course!!

I tried looking at other marques recently to see how they compare to the Lex. It's amazing to discover how many problems the so called prestigious brands suffer from... Scary stuff. As I always say, Thank Godness for Lexus!!

bought a BMW 528 in 1986 - hated it - the driving position was like a van, and the ride was noisy and rough. Swapped it for a Jag 4.2 litre 6 cylinder that the BMW dealer had been landed with. The Jag was a dream - quiet and the ride was out of this world. Quality of leather and wood was first class. Didn't like it when they radically changed the shape so went for 7-series BMWs. These were better than the 5 series, and a V8 3 litre was particularly nice, but they ended up costing me at high mileages whereas the last GS300 cost me nothing but tyres and brakes from 35k miles to 105k when I swapped it for this one. Mind you this one would have cost a bit if it hadn't been covered by Lexus used car warranty .... slightly worrying.

Mike

bought a BMW 528 in 1986 - hated it - the driving position was like a van, and the ride was noisy and rough. Swapped it for a Jag 4.2 litre 6 cylinder that the BMW dealer had been landed with. The Jag was a dream - quiet and the ride was out of this world. Quality of leather and wood was first class. Didn't like it when they radically changed the shape so went for 7-series BMWs. These were better than the 5 series, and a V8 3 litre was particularly nice, but they ended up costing me at high mileages whereas the last GS300 cost me nothing but tyres and brakes from 35k miles to 105k when I swapped it for this one. Mind you this one would have cost a bit if it hadn't been covered by Lexus used car warranty .... slightly worrying.

Mike

The LS 430 is a great car but does it have a few more niggles than the LS 400? Methinks because it has few more gadgets, more to go wrong...

I actually own the car that was featured on Wheeler Dealers and its still in tip top condition - owned by a guy on here before

Could you post some pictures?

Hi - dont know how to post pics on here, but my car was the one that was featured, not the one they purchased and did up for sale. Beautiful car, if you have an email address i can send you the video and pics of how the car looks now. Got clear indicators, halogens and 18in alloy wheels, tinted windows, top condition. Regards ike

I actually own the car that was featured on Wheeler Dealers and its still in tip top condition - owned by a guy on here before

Could you post some pictures?

Hi - dont know how to post pics on here, but my car was the one that was featured, not the one they purchased and did up for sale. Beautiful car, if you have an email address i can send you the video and pics of how the car looks now. Got clear indicators, halogens and 18in alloy wheels, tinted windows, top condition. Regards ike

I've sent you a personal message with my e-mail address. Many Thanks.

• 1 month later...

^ and i was the one who spotted it haha :-)

as for lexs on tv

http://www.imcdb.org/

i walked in2 are tv room the other month, my nan was watching some indian film and sum of the "boys" pulled up 2 a mansion in a white, ls400.

i had full respect for indian films again for about 8seconds when i realised how ******* they are again

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links