Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Boot

IZZZY

guys,

on the IS200, when you open the boot from below the seat or using the remote... is it suppose to just click and open but still remain closed or is the boot suppose to open like halfway up?

ive just seen a is200 boot open about half way... but i noticed with mine.. all i hear is the opening click and it remains closed...

any advice? maybe i need to fix something on mine?

ta

guys,

on the IS200, when you open the boot from below the seat or using the remote... is it suppose to just click and open but still remain closed or is the boot suppose to open like halfway up?

ive just seen a is200 boot open about half way... but i noticed with mine.. all i hear is the opening click and it remains closed...

ta

i,ve just fitted a gas strut to mine to make open all the way. the springs lose their springiness ( if thats a word )over time !

guys,

ta

i,ve just fitted a gas strut to mine to make open all the way. the springs lose their springiness ( if thats a word )over time !

AHH I see it must be the springs.. can these be replaced?

guys,

ta

AHH I see it must be the springs.. can these be replaced?

yes the springs can be replaced but Reading thru the forum most have opted for the strut

Where can the boot strut be got from??

Luv 2 have 1 as mine just raises a few inches.

there is a thread on here somewhere with a link to the right strut. they come in pairs and cost about £50 if i remember. i had a spare but sold to a guy on here , in greece.

guys,

i just went and checked my boot.. and cannot locate the springs.. all i can see is a cable that runs from the boot to the back of the seats...and no rod with black ends which are filled with gas...shown in this pic http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchB...t&R=234-449

yes they are gas struts which you adjust with an allen key. they are not fitted on the car as standard you have to fit the gas strut yourself. you need some self tappers, an L bracket and 2 m5 nuts and bolts , one of which needs to be at least 30mm long. one end of the strut fits to the hinge of the boot where there is allready a hole and the other end fits to the bracket which you have to fit to the back of the rear seat with the self tappers. pretty easy to do

Mine opens almost completely, barely hitting the rear windscreen :o Luckily, it stays about 4cm away from the windscreen :P

Seeing that my car is three months short of beeing ten years old, I don't think that it's necesary to buy or install these gas struts. Maybe a slight change in the position of the original spring should be enough, or using a tywrap around two or three rings in the spring itself. That increases the tension of the spring ;)

Grtz, Philip!

guys,

i just went and checked my boot.. and cannot locate the springs.. all i can see is a cable that runs from the boot to the back of the seats...and no rod with black ends which are filled with gas...shown in this pic http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchB...t&R=234-449

yes they are gas struts which you adjust with an allen key. they are not fitted on the car as standard you have to fit the gas strut yourself. you need some self tappers, an L bracket and 2 m5 nuts and bolts , one of which needs to be at least 30mm long. one end of the strut fits to the hinge of the boot where there is allready a hole and the other end fits to the bracket which you have to fit to the back of the rear seat with the self tappers. pretty easy to do

hmmm im sure it is.. but i prob wud struggle a bit :-(

might just see if i can get the original oem springs...

So correct me if I'm wrong,

When I open my boot using the pulley by the drivers seat and on my key fob its supposed to pop open on its own?

Only because it doesn't move at all when I open it.

When I open my boot using the pulley by the drivers seat and on my key fob its supposed to pop open on its own?

yes mate ! mine used to just unlock but now I've fitted the strut it opens fully. a really easy and good mod to do. only takes 10 mins.

yes mate ! mine used to just unlock but now I've fitted the strut it opens fully. a really easy and good mod to do. only takes 10 mins.

are there any instructions anywhere??

are there any instructions anywhere??

yes mate there are a few photos somewhere on here. have a search but if you can't find them I'll take a few pics and post them up ! really is easy to do !

Im interested in the strutts too if there is gonna be a group buy.

Without hijacking the thread, I presume that the spring for the boot lid is the tension strutts that are under the rear shelf ?? If so would using the new strutt eliminate the need for the original springs ?? Im thinking of taking them out and fitting some more "appropriate" speakers on the back shelf. lol..

Cheers people.

Mbay - yeah the boot lid is supposed to open up either half or full depending on the springs really. Though I notice that you have the rear spolier fitted so on those cars it will probably just pop up as the weight of the spoiler will keep it from going all the way.

I think even the lip spoiler might stop it on some cars.

The IS does not have adjustable springs on it, unlike the GS300 (mkII) which you can change the hole that the springs are set in to change the setting.

Basically, you are not looking for actual springs, but long pieces of metal rod, x2, which sit under the parcel shelf (in the boot) by the centre speaker magent. Its these that provide the correct torsion movement for the boot.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links