Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Last Wed night , bout 8pm, the rear screen shattered. Id driven about 2 miles. No ice but the rear demist was on. Parked it outside the pub for 5 minutes but when i came out the screen had shattered. It was completely shattered but still holding together but for a slash up each side where it curves round to the C pillars.

What could have caused this to happen??

Any ideas? The car was rear ended in sept 09 but thats all fixed now.

Last Wed night , bout 8pm, the rear screen shattered. Id driven about 2 miles. No ice but the rear demist was on. Parked it outside the pub for 5 minutes but when i came out the screen had shattered. It was completely shattered but still holding together but for a slash up each side where it curves round to the C pillars.

What could have caused this to happen??

Any ideas? The car was rear ended in sept 09 but thats all fixed now.

Hi could have been under tension from the accident ( if the floorpan in the boot crumpled) & the suden change from cold to hot has finished it off. You will only find out if the new rear one is hard to fit. Or something has fallen from the sky on to it, the outher option is some herbert has done it out of spite.

At the moment my money is on "under tension from the accident". The boot floor was crimped , as was 1 of the chassis legs. It had to be repaired twice. Long story.

100% sure it wasnt shashed on purpose. Our village isnt on a through road and the kids in the village a great bunch. They are the sort to pick up the tenner you have just droped and run after you to hand it over. The screen was also burst open on both sides where it curves. Surely, if some thing had hit it, it would have left a hole at the point of impact.

Hi

Did you have anything stuck on the rear window with superglue? for example the brake light?

The fitter from Boston windscreens told me that they love the stuff, because when peoples rear view mirror drops off, they stick it back on with superglue and ping, the glass shatters after a few months.

Apparently it isnt a chemical reaction, its simply because the glass expands at a different rate to the metal or plastic of the mirror, and superglue sticks rigid and eventually the weakest part gives, which is the glass.

A proper mirror pad or proper mirror glue allows for the different rates.

Could be that they used superglue when they did the repair.

Hi

Did you have anything stuck on the rear window with superglue? for example the brake light?

The fitter from Boston windscreens told me that they love the stuff, because when peoples rear view mirror drops off, they stick it back on with superglue and ping, the glass shatters after a few months.

Apparently it isnt a chemical reaction, its simply because the glass expands at a different rate to the metal or plastic of the mirror, and superglue sticks rigid and eventually the weakest part gives, which is the glass.

Interesting Steve

Totally logical and I can confirm daughter thought it a good idea to try and stick the rear view mirror back with this result. Didnt realise at the time.

Steve

Hi

No super glue used. There was nothing glued to it at all. It just shattered without provocation. Thanks for the tip though. Ive used Aroldite Rapid in the past for everything from sticking the rearview mirror back on to sticking a repair patch on an exhaust silencer. All on other cars with no problems.

Thanks for the sugestion though mate.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links