Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Annoying Knocking Noises X 2

lexynik

Getting to grips with the car now,have two knocks one from lhs rear on turning corners and one quiet but annoying one from front right area of car

Well i got round to stripping out the boot today and spare and toolbox bits,hoovered all in bottom of spare wheel well and the two wells either side of boot,lo and behold my jack was in situ but not fastened down securely causing a heavy knock sometimes as it moved about,this is now sorted and if i can find the one at the front i will be a happy knock free chap and head off to wim for geo-apparantly on some lex some rubber bonnet stops can leave the bonnet movement causing a knock so i will investigate this tomorrow if it doesnt snow too bad-if it does snow bad ill take the 4x4 for a play as it hasnt been used since the snow melted-i wonder do many lex owners keep a second car for the dreaded snow,i do as we get it bad here,got cut off for five days last time-i had to ferry a few neighbours into asda just cos we had no milk,bread etc in our village

i would check the drop links mate.

cheers asi i will find out about em-i wanna find the knock then it can go to wim-wish me luck !

Strange thing is i never noticed it until after an indy garage changed the two lower balljoints(which involved lots and lots of hammering,swearing and a heat torch)are they normally pigs to change and could they have damaged something else at that time ie droplinks ?

also when i took it back to complain they all looked under the car and had a debate as to why the fitter hadnt used grease !!! should he have greased the new balljoints before fitting ? could this cause a knock ?

ormi i had the lower balljoints done-do u mean they should of greased them or do you mean the upper ones ?

ive been studying after asi said droplinks and going over old threads from a few places these do sound the most likely culprit as symptoms appear to match.

Im going to see if i can get lexus to diagnose this on monday but i doubt theres anything bad enough to spot or it should of come up on the vsr the other day-

would wim stock droplinks and upper balljoints does anyone know ? ill fone them anyway on monday too !

From what ive read droplinks can account for a kind of vague or wayward steering attitude at motorway speeds and a quiet but annoying little clunk at low speed and potholes-seems to fit.

With a bit of luck i can get it all done at wim in a day which would be nice although sssshh dont tell the gf its gonna be more than a ton ,,,, lol,,,,,,,

Cheers for input

lmao- how does that help !! no seriously i have read that one recently,mines probably not too bad but as the car is near silent you kinda notice it-im thinking geo will sort out my handling issues but still leave that annoying little knock----

Ive owned literally thousands of cars and i can do a fair bit of mechanics too , i just dont want to anymore and im happy to chuck a few quid at the car to get it right,but diagnostically im thinkin droplinks but i dont wanna go back and forth doin bits and bobs,i just want it right,not modded or improved just as it should be.

I must admit i was doin a mental list of kyb shocks,droplinks,upper balljoints ? & geo as a fix but that thread kinda spoils that theory.

it could also be the bonnet not quite seated properly

I might just get it geo,d for now after i speak to everyone on mon and sort the knock out later on,its so slight i doubt many people would notice it but i do and it is annoying

have you had it rechecked because if it is all still as it was set it would imply that the knock you have is caused by lateral(up and down) movement ie shock as opposed to horisontal movement which nearly everything else effects- im only guessing tho as it is my first is and theyre nothing if not complicated

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links