Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Snapped Stud

fipsy

Hi guys. After cleaning my front caliper pistons this morning i managed to snap a stud on the O/S front wheel when tightening the nuts :duh: . I know what your all thinking, that i over tightened it, well yes and no :whistling: , one was seized on the other day so took it to the garage where i had my tyres fitted and they whipped it off (the wheel nut). The guy said to squirt a touch of WD40 in to clean the thread which i did this morning but in doing so it kinda snapped when doing it up. Spoken to lexus birmingham just and they supply a new stud for a whopping £2.49p. Local garage where me and my family have work done said they will swap it over for approx £20. Is that a reasonable price? Im guessing its only a case of tapping the old/broken one out and knocking the new one in...... Anybody had this problem before on their IS200?

Hi, yes it does not seem too diifficult to snap off these studs if they have previously been overtightened; I broke 2 a couple of weeks ago and I always use a torque wrench but to be fair they did look a bit naff !!. As you say it is just a case of knocking out the broken stub and then using a spacer washer and nut to pull the new one in.The fronts are easier as you have to disturb the hand brake adjusters on the rear . I,d say £20 is a good price for 1/2 hr labour.I did mine myself studs from lexus parts direct part 90942-02070 £2 -43 ea post free

Hi, yes it does not seem too diifficult to snap off these studs if they have previously been overtightened; I broke 2 a couple of weeks ago and I always use a torque wrench but to be fair they did look a bit naff !!. As you say it is just a case of knocking out the broken stub and then using a spacer washer and nut to pull the new one in.The fronts are easier as you have to disturb the hand brake adjusters on the rear . I,d say £20 is a good price for 1/2 hr labour.I did mine myself studs from lexus parts direct part 90942-02070 £2 -43 ea post free

Excellent, thanks for the reply. I know it may sound silly but is it ok to drive with only 4 out of 5 studs for a day? Need to get to the lexus dealer tomorrow (approx 18miles) and also work tomorrow night (another 5miles) then back home (17miles). Obviously i wouldnt be doing 70mph down the motorway but still thought i'd ask.

Excellent, thanks for the reply. I know it may sound silly but is it ok to drive with only 4 out of 5 studs for a day? Need to get to the lexus dealer tomorrow (approx 18miles) and also work tomorrow night (another 5miles) then back home (17miles). Obviously i wouldnt be doing 70mph down the motorway but still thought i'd ask.

just check they are nice and tight and all will be ok...

wheel nuts should alway be torqued up

by relying on doing them up by hand is a bit hit and miss

everyone has vastly different strengths,

problems occur when they are overtightened, the studs get stretched and stressed and become liable to snap, under-tightened and they are liable to work loose

if you absolutely need to drive on 4 studs, make sure they are torqued correctly, don't try and tighten them more to compensate for one being missing !

when fitting new studs, nuts, or even wheels always check again a week or so later for correct torque

by the way missing a nut or bolt is an MOT failure !

All is good now. Had the broken one replaced and they torqued them correctly for me. I drove that day but didnt go mad as i wasnt sure if the wheel would hold up on only 4 studs, stuck to the back roads instead of the motorway so couldnt just forget about it and drive at 70mph lol.

Hi there,

Sorry to hijack the thread, this has also happend to me but on my rear caliper, the top stud looks to have snapped as the brake pad is can be slighty moved in the ca,liper and causing a clapping noise when I brake, you can also hear it rattling when driving, any ideas if i can buy a new stud or if I need a full new caliper. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

you are talking about something completly different. the wheel stud doesnt hold the brake pad in position does it?

you probably have some parts missing - go to the dealer to get the required parts.

Hi as Rob says the original post was concerning the wheel mounting stud; From reading your post it looks like you have broken off the bolt that screws into the caliper sliding pin .

Can you post a pic? If this is the case you will be able to buy a new sliding pin and bolt from lexus no need to replace the caliper. When you reassemble the sliding pins make sure you grease them to stop them seizing and DO NOT overtighten the bolts 34 Nm or 25 Ft lbs on the torque wrench

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links