Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is Tinted Windows / Privacy Glass A Good Idea?

It might be still trendier and give you privacy but is it not like driving with your sunglasses on ALL the time? Hence in night time you don't have the option of 'taking your' sunglasses off and it's harder to see hazards, etc outside? Less SAFETY?

I'm talking more for the windscreen and rear screen (the side windows are 'less' of an issue as you don't see through them as often and can slide them down for better vision).

Sometimes it's so black inside you can't see see anything!

What's the logic? Please anyone?

I'm sure the Highway Code also states it's not a good idea - or words to that effect. But people still opt for privacy glass, etc.

You can not by law (UK) tint the front windscreen at all (except for the top tinted OEM section), the front side windows can have applied a very light tint (I believe its 10% from clear) , all the rear windows behind the driver can be tinted completely if so wished, after all you could be driving a van (which requires 2 outside rear view mirrors).

I believe these figures are correct, but things change so rapidly if I were you I'd check officially first.

Found this...

"The Window tinting Regulation was amended from 1st January 2004.

This Regulation amendment now clearly rules out any tinted films being applied to driver windows (Front doors).

The Regulation states 70% of visible light must pass through the drivers windows including any other substrate fitted to the glass. Many people misunderstand the regulation and presume that 70% allows a 30% tint - It doesn't! Glass does not let in 100% of light. Clear glass only allows approximately 86% of light to pass & the slight tint of standard manufactured glass varies from the 70% maximum limit up to approx 80% of light passing through, thus any film being applied to these windows will drop the light transmissions to below the regulation limit. "

So it appears the ammendment doesnt in effect allow any tinting forward of the B pillar.

I don't mind a very small tint, but I don't like privacy glass much. I've driven a few cars where the glass from the B pillar back are heavily tinted and although the rear sides don't matter, I did find it annoying having the rear screen so dark. At night it was really quite difficult to work out what's going on behind you through the rear view mirror..........

If only they would make the windows tint during the day but clear at night :)

:lol: maybe get them specsavers style glasses that turn dark in the sun and ask them to make a rear windscreen....

Lol :lol:

I guess that would work, but was thinking something a bit more hightech like the autodimming mirrors :)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind a very small tint, but I don't like privacy glass much. I've driven a few cars where the glass from the B pillar back are heavily tinted and although the rear sides don't matter, I did find it annoying having the rear screen so dark. At night it was really quite difficult to work out what's going on behind you through the rear view mirror..........

If only they would make the windows tint during the day but clear at night smile.gif

parthibian-im pretty sure they make electrically tintable/untintable windows as an option on some special order flagship model type car - either range rover,bmw or rolls - they are only on double glazed windows about half inch thick and has something sandwiched in the middle which reacts to an electric current to go darker

they are only on double glazed windows about half inch thick and has something sandwiched in the middle which reacts to an electric current to go darker

It's called smart-glass, just ordered it for my extension windows & doors, expensive, but i just had to, thought it better than built in blinds,

That could be Parthiban's answer, shut the blinds on your car windows for privacy, open them up for reversing - Sorted!!!! could start a new modifying craze :whistling:

oh right cheers deckie- im sure my dad had it on a car when he had a few quid - i think the glass was bulletproof as well - when you wound the window down it was ridiculously thick with like a black rubber seal around the edges

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links