Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

HI all,

Have just got myself a lovely LS400, on an L plate, with 65K on the clock. And i have to say given all the cars i have ever owned and driven this is by far the finest i have ever owned.

However, i have a problem (you just knew that was coming!!!!)

My engine is running lumpy. Have looked under the bonnett and i can see some arcing coming from the wire at the front right hand side (facing the engine). I dont know if this is causing the 'lumpyness' but any thoughts anyone?

Hope all are well.

Phil.

If its tracking as you say, it will certainly cause uneven running.

Trace it and check it is not trapped or cut and reroute it if poss.

If its tracking as you say, it will certainly cause uneven running.

Trace it and check it is not trapped or cut and reroute it if poss.

Will do mate. Wont cause any harm driving it in the meantime will it?

Keep it to the minimum, its wasting fuel and may send unburnt fuel into your cats

which eventually will do them in!

Thanks for that. Is there any way to repair the offending lead in the meantime? Will stopping the tracking simply sure it or does it take something more radical?

I think its coming from the lead that supplies the dizzy on the right hand side.

Phil

It sounds like a common problem with the passenger side coil to distributor lead, it should pass through a rubber gromit under the spark plug cover but it is a pig to fit correctly and consequently gets missed off, the lead is then free to chafe and the result is what you now have.

I have a spare new lead if you need one just PM me your address and I'll pop it in the post FOC.

It sounds like a common problem with the passenger side coil to distributor lead, it should pass through a rubber gromit under the spark plug cover but it is a pig to fit correctly and consequently gets missed off, the lead is then free to chafe and the result is what you now have.

I have a spare new lead if you need one just PM me your address and I'll pop it in the post FOC.

Hi, might it also be a bit lumpy because at 65k miles it ought to by now have changed plugs etc ! ( 60k life I believe ).

Does it have a service record ?

Malc

Hi, might it also be a bit lumpy because at 65k miles it ought to by now have changed plugs etc ! ( 60k life I believe ).

Malc

pgls400,

Congratulations on your purchase - you are now in very good company, with some extremely knowledgeable people on here. Do not fret!

I'd suggest that if you have a tracking problem, the leads (and probably plugs) will have been changed already for some pattern ones and perhaps without quite the requisite care, so I'd get on to it ASAP. Please do check out the illustrated tutorials on lexls.com which you will find very helpful. And if you can do the work yourself, then do. When replacing plugs and leads, do use genuine leads and Denso iridium plugs as per the original (regardless of what anyone tells you). My car had what I believe were the original plugs when I bought it at just under 100k miles - and they weren't eroded at all. (I changed them anyway as a precaution, but could probably have got away with it). I gave the old ones to a friend who tried them in his Ford Granada - and he was staggered at the improvement in performance!

Let us know what happens...

Hallo mate, many thanks for the warm welcome.

PM Sent.

Regards, Phil.

Malc

Malc,

Cheers for the warm welcome mate. Yep it does have a full main dealer record, and by the looks of it, the previous owner had the plugs and leads replaced roughly 10K ago, so i suppose they weren't that far away from the end of their life.

Great car, i have had virtually every kind of large car on the market, but always overlooked the LS400. I wish i hadnt, as now i know what ive been missing all these years.

A Joy to drive, (even if it is currently missfiring)

Again, thanks for the welcome, and hope all are well.

Kind regards,

Phil.

Malc

pgls400,

Congratulations on your purchase - you are now in very good company, with some extremely knowledgeable people on here. Do not fret!

I'd suggest that if you have a tracking problem, the leads (and probably plugs) will have been changed already for some pattern ones and perhaps without quite the requisite care, so I'd get on to it ASAP. Please do check out the illustrated tutorials on lexls.com which you will find very helpful. And if you can do the work yourself, then do. When replacing plugs and leads, do use genuine leads and Denso iridium plugs as per the original (regardless of what anyone tells you). My car had what I believe were the original plugs when I bought it at just under 100k miles - and they weren't eroded at all. (I changed them anyway as a precaution, but could probably have got away with it). I gave the old ones to a friend who tried them in his Ford Granada - and he was staggered at the improvement in performance!

Let us know what happens...

Thanks for the welcome mate,

I certainly get the impression, bearing in mind i havent been on the site for very long, that this place is very freindly, and there is a load of very usefull info.

Certainly the best car i have ever owned. I have always had large cars, but for reasons i cant recall, always overlooked the LS400. I wish i hadnt mate.

Utterly superb!!!!!

Regards, Phil.http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/style_images/1/folder_post_icons/icon1.gif

HI all,

Have just got myself a lovely LS400, on an L plate, with 65K on the clock. And i have to say given all the cars i have ever owned and driven this is by far the finest i have ever owned.

My engine is running lumpy. Have looked under the bonnett and i can see some arcing coming from the wire at the front right hand side (facing the engine). I dont know if this is causing the 'lumpyness' but any thoughts anyone?

Hope all are well.

Phil.

Phil, hi

I've been driving LS400's for some 8 years now and wouldn't change it for any other large car.

I used to part own a garage and drove most of all the other large and/or fast cars around up to 2006.

My first LS400 was a 1991 and ended with some 200k on the clock. I was always looking for the same model but much later ( the last in fact of this MK ) and found my second and current one which is a M reg. 1994 which I bought Dec 2007 at 8542 miles; now done 30500 miles.

It's great driving an almost brand new, but quite old LS400 !

The car, prior to me, lived a charmed life in Ascot and Kensington on a private plate then of BCA3.

Just really great motoring and in the knowledge that I'm just going to have to be ever so unlucky for anything EVER to go wrong ! ( hopes ).

Malc

HI all,

Hope all are well.

Phil.

Phil, hi

I've been driving LS400's for some 8 years now and wouldn't change it for any other large car.

I used to part own a garage and drove most of all the other large and/or fast cars around up to 2006.

My first LS400 was a 1991 and ended with some 200k on the clock. I was always looking for the same model but much later ( the last in fact of this MK ) and found my second and current one which is a M reg. 1994 which I bought Dec 2007 at 8542 miles; now done 30500 miles.

It's great driving an almost brand new, but quite old LS400 !

The car, prior to me, lived a charmed life in Ascot and Kensington on a private plate then of BCA3.

Just really great motoring and in the knowledge that I'm just going to have to be ever so unlucky for anything EVER to go wrong ! ( hopes ).

Malc

150% all the way with you on that mate.

Just the best car i have ever owned, and im suprised that i can say that after only a week.

Thought id get some pics up.

Havent had a chance to give some wax protection yet, as a result theres quite a bit of cob webbing on the paintwork in places, but no tinworm that i can see.

Will also be re undersealing the car as well, i will either use Waxoyl or Dinitrol, not sure yet.

Mynewlex2.jpg

Mynewlex3.jpg

Mynewlex4.jpg

The quality of the photos isnt much as i had to use my phone.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links