Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Before I Do The Wrong Thing (Keys)

Hi all

I am about to dip in to the LS400 experience once again. I am now looking at a 97 car and it's all to the good really, it passed just about everything on a list I made up using this guide and apart from a bonnet that drops on your head (no worries there) and a missing master key I'm happy. There are two ordinary keys present that work but do not open the valet lock for the boot, oddly they open the boot via the lock though.........

I know this has been covered a fair bit and I've been through the archives to get an answer but failed to be sure once I'd read it all.

I phoned up a Lexus dealer and spoke to a really nice chap from the parts dept he went away and came back with the news that "if you don't have a master key and remote will have to change the ECU in the locks or even the main ECU" cost £1000 - £1500. I find that pretty hard to believe.

So my questions are

1) Can I get a new master key from Lexus using some number somewhere in the docs? I assume buying a blank is no good as a lock smith will need another to copy.

2) Am I correct in assuming that if I buy a three button remote from eBay or similar that I will be able to program it to the car?

I've got the lock & unlock the door and wave your left leg etc instructions.

Any advice?

Cheers

Dave

Hiya im a 200 owner and not fully up to speed on the differences with a 400 but on the 200 i believe you need the 3 button master key to instigate the programming setup for a new key - if the 400 is similar i would be listening to your lexus dealer and factor those costs mentioned against the purchase price of a 400 with no master key

It could be different for a 400 but i would definately wait for an answer from one of our more knowledgeable 400 owners before rushing out to buy that car this morning

Hiya im a 200 owner and not fully up to speed on the differences with a 400 but on the 200 i believe you need the 3 button master key to instigate the programming setup for a new key - if the 400 is similar i would be listening to your lexus dealer and factor those costs mentioned against the purchase price of a 400 with no master key

It could be different for a 400 but i would definately wait for an answer from one of our more knowledgeable 400 owners before rushing out to buy that car this morning

Hi, having owned and driven LS 400's now for 8 years I would think that the " key " issue is a tiny problem to live with if the car is really good and otherwise what you want.

The ECU costs are dopey and probably bear little relation to the cars value I would guess.

The driving experience should be superb and the maintenance costs minimal for this car if the usual stuff has been done at the correct mileages by previous owners.

You don't say mileage or price or maintenance schedules done !

I assume that all is fine apart from the keys; and that you just might be able to live with it if that's the only real issue ............. it's not really a problem ! is it ?

Happy driving ...... if only the fuel costs were less damaging eh !

Malc

Having missed out on another car I am back to this vehicle so still need an answer re the key issue.

The keys are not really a major problem but given that there are so many on the market I can afford to be choosy and it has been so long I have forgotten what it's like to use a key to enter a car.

Also come sell it on time you can bet that a buyer will want to see the master key.

So does anyone know the answer to my original question?

Cheers

Dave

This car is a mk III, the dealer came up with some more keys when I viewed it again yesterday.

Still no three button master but there was a key fob with three buttons on it so it does in fact have remote functions. The boot button did nothing and you can't unlock the valet lock in the car so the internal release doesn't work.

Guess I could live with that.

The key fob has lexus decals all over it and it looks quite old, original equipment?

When you open the fob, the innards have different codes that are related to the vehicle. I have a spare with a different code on it that will not operate my car. I bought it for the cover.

This car is a mk III, the dealer came up with some more keys when I viewed it again yesterday.

Still no three button master but there was a key fob with three buttons on it so it does in fact have remote functions. The boot button did nothing and you can't unlock the valet lock in the car so the internal release doesn't work.

Guess I could live with that.

The key fob has lexus decals all over it and it looks quite old, original equipment?

Hi

As far as I know, MKIII's were supplied with a 2 button fob for compatibility with the Scorpion T5000 alarm system that was dealer fitted.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links