Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A Few Niggles, Can Anyone Help?

Hi guys. I've got a couple of niggles with my 2000 IS200 SE. Just lately when I'm braking and almost coming to a complete stop I get like a minor clunking noise from the front of the car, mainly drivers side I think but I may be wrong. I removed all the wheels and checked the calipers for any play but they're all fine. Any ideas anyone?

Also, when I fully depress the clutch, as I release it I get like a mild squeaking noise, just a little irritating but enough to annoy me. Is there anything I can check or fix to make it go away?

I'm due to service the car very soon (she's at 136,000 miles now), I want to look at getting all the belts renewed (cam belt, tensioner & idler, A/C, Power Steering etc.) and all the oils too (engine, diff, gearbox) if anyone has any suggestions on where to get bits or what grades and makes of oil are best then it would be a great help.

Cheers

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that some tw@t keyed my car, all along the passenger side from rear light cluster to start of front door. I tried T-Cut, didn't touch it. Any ideas roughly how much a repair on that (2 doors and rear quarter panel) might cost?

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that some tw@t keyed my car, all along the passenger side from rear light cluster to start of front door. I tried T-Cut, didn't touch it. Any ideas roughly how much a repair on that (2 doors and rear quarter panel) might cost?

some ****** keyed mine, the same as yours. cost me £300

Hi guys. I've got a couple of niggles with my 2000 IS200 SE. Just lately when I'm braking and almost coming to a complete stop I get like a minor clunking noise from the front of the car, mainly drivers side I think but I may be wrong. I removed all the wheels and checked the calipers for any play but they're all fine. Any ideas anyone?

hi mate

same happens to mine i thought its the pads moving in the caliper

i have noitced that when i go in reverse it only happens then

hope it helps

wahid

clunking I believe is just minor movement of pads in the calipers, copper grease would reduce the clunk, cambelt should be done every 60k, its a fairly long job so if you don't know if its been done recently, get it done anyway as to check it and not do it takes pretty much as long as to change it from what i've heard

for the squeeky clutch, there is a rubber boot on the gearbox where the cable go in.

pull this back and spray grease in.

as for the brake noise. it's doing no harm but it is annoying.

the grease helps but does not get rid of clunk completely.

mine make noise and i'm not 100% sure what's the exact cause.

there are about 3 kits you can buy for your front brakes.

1 anti squeel, 1 anti rattle and 1 with fitting clips.

if u bought these along with proper lexus brake pads it would probably fix noise but not sure because the cost of these parts is crazy. i'm in ireland and it's around €500.

so for me it's a matter of putting up with noise.

copper greasing back of pads does help though.

The clunking when braking and turning slow is a common problem,

I just fixed mines by taking out the slide pins in the caliper

and giving them a good grease. Then taking out the pads and shims

then give them a slap of copperslip. I also took out the brake clips

and widened them a bit. When the pads wear down they start knocking/clunking

so if everything is tighten up again it seems to help.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help guys, been offline for a while and only just checked the site. I'll try stripping the brakes down and copper greasing the bits mentioned as I have some of that knocking about, and I'll also try the clutch squeak fix posted. I'll post an update when I've had chance to strip them out, have to try that before I replace parts as I'm so broke I may have to sell my beloved Lexus (sob)

The clunking when braking and turning slow is a common problem,

I just fixed mines by taking out the slide pins in the caliper

and giving them a good grease. Then taking out the pads and shims

then give them a slap of copperslip. I also took out the brake clips

and widened them a bit. When the pads wear down they start knocking/clunking

so if everything is tighten up again it seems to help.

Hope this helps.

Sounds like its worth a try but have any diagrams or anything so I know exactly what parts to remove and grease up? I'm pretty competent but I don't want to remove something that won't go back in

Just a quick update guys, I did everything that was sugested here to fix the creaking brakes and squeeky clutch and hey presto, its all nice and quiet again now. Many thanks for all the help again folks

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links