Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Difference Between 2 Models?!

Hi Guys, Looking to make my first Lexus purchase but there are 2 models I am choosing between. I am told that the IS 220d SE -L is a better car than a IS 220d SE or SR. I do not know what the letters stand for and I am not sure what the differences are between the variants. So far I can find, an SE I, SR & SE - L?!?

Please help!!

Thank you

Keep away from the diesels in any shape or form in my opinion , get yourself a nice 2.5SEL petrol for the sake of about 6mpg they are a different car entirely and well worth any fuel saving of the diesel in my opinion.

2005-2008: Ranking from bottom of range to top:

Base model

SR

SE

SE-L

There's also the Sport which sits somewhere between the SE and SE-L.

2009 onwards:

SE

SE-I

SE-L

And there's the F-Sport which again sits somewhere in between, doesn't have all the toys of the SE-L but has a few sporty bits (like steering wheel, grille, spoiler and seats out of IS-F)

Thanks for the feedback guys! Bought the SE-L before getting chance to read the replies though! Bit concerned at the 'stay away from the diesel' comment :(

I'm quite happy with the purchase, picking it up tonight :) x

don't worry about the diesel,it's the £4000 engine rebuilds on the 250 that are a concern.diesel is far more robust engine imo.

I don't know why people keep repeating the same sentence (Keep away from the Diesel).

Yes, I don't have a diesel myself, and I agree that some people were not lucky with their 220d, but still there are more out there enjoying their 220d.

If someone buys himself a car (which I believe he has already been through the forum and been through most of the issues) and has made up his mind, let's wish him luck with his purchase rather than telling him that he should have got a petrol.

Good luck

Isn't that how I started my post?

Hi Steve. I don't mean your post specifically. I am talking generally about the replies to all new IS220d owners.

I totally agree that you can give advice to someone who is thinking of buying, and just to wish luck to that one who has already bought (as you did) :winky:

Thanks for the feedback guys! Bought the SE-L before getting chance to read the replies though! Bit concerned at the 'stay away from the diesel' comment sad.gif

I'm quite happy with the purchase, picking it up tonight smile.gif x

Ignore the "keep away from Diesel" comment mate. It's rubbish. I'm just back from a motoring holiday around Europe.. Belgium, France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Germany. Around 2500 extremely comfortable and highly enjoyable miles and great experience in my 220D. Kept up with whizzers on the Auto Stradas and Auto Bahns as well as getting average 46 MPG. The Diesel is truly a superior car.

Col..

tongue.gif

Thanks for the feedback guys! Bought the SE-L before getting chance to read the replies though! Bit concerned at the 'stay away from the diesel' comment sad.gif

Ignore the "keep away from Diesel" comment mate. It's rubbish. I'm just back from a motoring holiday around Europe.. Belgium, France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Germany. Around 2500 extremely comfortable and highly enjoyable miles and great experience in my 220D. Kept up with whizzers on the Auto Stradas and Auto Bahns as well as getting average 46 MPG. The Diesel is truly a superior car.

Col..

tongue.gif

'The Diesel is truly a superior car', well i'm glad you're happy with yours but 'superior' over the petrol? I think not. Apart from mpg return there is nothing superior about the diesel - unless you prefer that double-decker bus sound of the engine over the barely noticeable ticking over, and when you rev it up growl delivered by the V6.

Col..

tongue.gif

'The Diesel is truly a superior car', well i'm glad you're happy with yours but 'superior' over the petrol? I think not. Apart from mpg return there is nothing superior about the diesel - unless you prefer that double-decker bus sound of the engine over the barely noticeable ticking over, and when you rev it up growl delivered by the V6.

If you are educated to higher English or above, then, if you read and interpret my reply properly, you will most certainly see that I did not initimate in any way shape or form that it was "superior to the petrol model". I said it was a superior car! As for the "double decker bus" sound, well I prefer bus and tractor growls. Just my preference I'm not afraid to say.

hehe.gif

I test drove both the manual diesel and the Petrol Auto and I have to say that the petrol was a much nicer place to be. If you do big miles, then I guess the diesel is the better option (purely from an economical point of view), however The F-Sport Auto was by far the more refined car. As I only do 9k-10k miles a year fuel economy was at the back of my mind and refinement at the front. :)

Col..

tongue.gif

If you are educated to higher English or above, then, if you read and interpret my reply properly, you will most certainly see that I did not initimate in any way shape or form that it was "superior to the petrol model". I said it was a superior car! As for the "double decker bus" sound, well I prefer bus and tractor growls. Just my preference I'm not afraid to say.

hehe.gif

'Educated to higher English or above' - then what does 'initimate' mean? And since the majority of posts in this thread are relating to diesel v petrol, I'm sure that others as well as myself read your post as being superior to the petrol model. Anyway, I would urge all prospective diesel buyers to test drive both diesel and petrol versions of the IS. I was going to buy the diesel myself, but after trying both decided it was a no-brainer and bought the petrol model. You pays your money ...

Col..

tongue.gif

hehe.gif

'Educated to higher English or above' - then what does 'initimate' mean? And since the majority of posts in this thread are relating to diesel v petrol, I'm sure that others as well as myself read your post as being superior to the petrol model. Anyway, I would urge all prospective diesel buyers to test drive both diesel and petrol versions of the IS. I was going to buy the diesel myself, but after trying both decided it was a no-brainer and bought the petrol model. You pays your money ...

Yep, you have just proved that you're a "no brainer", stick to spell checking and stop knocking diesels.

laugh.gif

Col..

tongue.gif

hehe.gif

Yep, you have just proved that you're a "no brainer", stick to spell checking and stop knocking diesels.

laugh.gif

No need for me to knock diesels - they to a good enough job of that themselves. :P So if you didn't mean superior to the petrol then what were you referring to, the Lexus hybrids?

Tip of the day: If you're in a hole and want to get out, stop digging. :whistling:

Col..

tongue.gif

hehe.gif

laugh.gif

No need for me to knock diesels - they to a good enough job of that themselves. tongue.gif So if you didn't mean superior to the petrol then what were you referring to, the Lexus hybrids?

Tip of the day: If you're in a hole and want to get out, stop digging. whistling.gif

Ok, you can put your spade away now..... biggrin.gif

Jesus *****! Wish I hadn't asked now lol Amazing how a small question can cause such controversy! Going as far as having people being put down for their grasp on the English language, wow!

Anyway, firstly I'm female *winks, hi boys* I wonder why one would assume I was male!? (maybe the scot part in my username, for that you are forgiven!). Secondly, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my car! Yes it is a diesel, yes I take on board all comments but so far I am nothing but delighted with my purchase. Me + Lexus + Ray Ban Avaiators - the 2 kids in the back = HOT!!!

Now be happy everyone!! xxxx

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links