Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Custom Badge / Emblem For Is-F Grille On Is250

5 months ago I posted a thread with pics of my DIY IS-F grille for my IS250. The thread can be found here

Back then I had to buy an IS-F emblem for the grille because the standard stock emblem was too small compared to the IS-F emblem which was wider.

5 months later, I managed to grab a bargain for a hybrid style emblem from a gs450h. After buying it, I faced the issue of it being smaller than the IS-F emblem. So after some consideration, I decided that I had the following 3 options.

(Option 1)

Install it anyway and let it look like this (but cover the holes ofcourse):

emblem_without_chrome.jpg

(Option 2)

Cut out the L from the IS-F emblem so that i'm left with a oval shape. Then stick the new emblem on top to give the emblem a chrome style border. Like this:

EMBLEM_IMG_0625.jpg

(Option 3)

Go with option 3 but paint the border black instead of keeping it chrome and apply flexible plastic filler to give it a smooth transition.

I decided to go with option 3 and have now completed the project.

Below are some photos of the emblem DIY and also photos of the completed and installed photos of the grille.

F_EMBLEM_003.jpg

F_EMBLEM_004.jpg

F_EMBLEM_005.jpg

F_EMBLEM_006.jpg

F_EMBLEM_007.jpg

F_EMBLEM_013.jpg

lexus_emblem_isf_grille_012.jpg

lexus_emblem_isf_grille_013.jpg

lexus_emblem_isf_grille_014.jpg

lexus_emblem_isf_grille_015.jpg

lexus_emblem_isf_grille_018.jpg

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Another 2 mods are coming up this weekend, will hopefuly post a DIY guide on one of them.

That is just quite simply stunning.

How much to do a grille for me? aha

Jamie, are you serious? the mod cost me around £156 thats including me buying an OEM isf badge first for £22.75 and then buying a hybrid badge for £26. I used my stock chrome outer bezel which saved me a further £40 i think

Again the attention to detail is amazing, the IS-F grille is a must have mod and well done for going to that effort, it's really paid off.

Sorry to bring in a tiny bit of negativity but I don't personally like the badge, it looks too small.......what was wrong with the IS-F one out of curiosity? Just my opinion though, if you prefer this one that's all that matters :)

Again the attention to detail is amazing, the IS-F grille is a must have mod and well done for going to that effort, it's really paid off.

Sorry to bring in a tiny bit of negativity but I don't personally like the badge, it looks too small.......what was wrong with the IS-F one out of curiosity? Just my opinion though, if you prefer this one that's all that matters :)

:hehe: I was wondering where you got to. you're usually one of the first to comment.

I think the hybrid version of the emblem is really matter of preference. Even on clublexus some people like the idea and some dont. I agree that the front one is small and hence the need to modify it and make it look bigger

After I installed a hybrid version on my trunk-lid (pictured below), I thought if I manage to get a good deal on another one, i'll do it on the front aswell :D I managed to pick it up for £26. Now the front emblem matches the back one that I have here: :D

rear_hybrid_emblem_lexusis250-003.jpg

:hehe: I was wondering where you got to. you're usually one of the first to comment.

I think the hybrid version of the emblem is really matter of preference. Even on clublexus some people like the idea and some dont. I agree that the front one is small and hence the need to modify it and make it look bigger

After I installed a hybrid version on my trunk-lid (pictured below), I thought if I manage to get a good deal on another one, i'll do it on the front aswell :D I managed to pick it up for £26. Now the front emblem matches the back one that I have here: :D

Lol I'll be quicker next time!

It looks good on the back, it's the perfect size. Just the front one looks small, although it could just be the illusion of being used to the larger badge so prob needs a bit of getting used to. It's odd actually as I've always thought the badges on the front of the GS and RX look massive.......or is that a rear badge that you've got on the front?

It's odd actually as I've always thought the badges on the front of the GS and RX look massive.......or is that a rear badge that you've got on the front?

Yeh that is a rear gs450h badge that i've got on the front and it's small. It is actually even smaller than the stock OEM trunk badge that comes on the 2nd Generation IS. The RX badge however is much bigger and that's what i've got at the back :) I was considering swapping the back one with the front one, but then changed my mind :D

Your work with the Exhausts, Emblems and the Carbon-Fibre Wrapping really is genuinely to be admired. You have used skill, imagination, care, craftsmanship and effort to create unique results which are well beyond just screwing on so-called "custom" goodies. What you have produced is subtle and looks professional. Whether people like it is just down to personal taste. Most cosmetic mods label cars as got at by an obvious burke with heaven knows what horrors to be found later, wrecking the resale value. Yours should actually be worth more because people will appreciate quality work and real individuality - although I am sure that is not your motive. Thanks also for letting us share what you have achieved and how you did it.

I applaud all your mods except 8000k fogs which will give you high scatter and very much worse forward vision in fog than filament bulbs. Similarly because of the characterstics of the eye and the colour temperature of reflected road surfaces, signs and surroundings, your 6000 headlamps will give you poorer forward vision but appear brighter to cars coming the other way, perhaps dazzling - than the original 4300k HIDs which were chosen for these reasons after a good deal of research.

I applaud all your mods except 8000k fogs which will give you high scatter and very much worse forward vision in fog than filament bulbs. Similarly because of the characterstics of the eye and the colour temperature of reflected road surfaces, signs and surroundings, your 6000 headlamps will give you poorer forward vision but appear brighter to cars coming the other way, perhaps dazzling - than the original 4300k HIDs which were chosen for these reasons after a good deal of research.

The fogs are mainly to have a better colour match with the HIDs and we rarely get to use fogs here anyway. Most of the time you get pulled over if you use fogs when you are not supposed to.

In regards to the 6000k bulbs, yes you are correct in the sense that the higher the kelvin rating the lower the visibility. But it's a very slight difference. I've compared the two side by side and the difference is very minimal yet the colour on the 6k is much nicer.

In regards to dazzling, the 6000k do not dazzle anyone i've tested this and from my research i've figured out that lexus have actually aimed the projectors quite low on the IS and many people outside europe do not like the low aim and have posted DIY guides on how to adjust the aim. If the aim is adjusted, then maybe it might become dazzling but with the stock aim, the light is very sharp and no dazzle at all :)

The fogs are mainly to have a better colour match with the HIDs and we rarely get to use fogs here anyway. Most of the time you get pulled over if you use fogs when you are not supposed to.

In regards to the 6000k bulbs, yes you are correct in the sense that the higher the kelvin rating the lower the visibility. But it's a very slight difference. I've compared the two side by side and the difference is very minimal yet the colour on the 6k is much nicer.

In regards to dazzling, the 6000k do not dazzle anyone i've tested this and from my research i've figured out that lexus have actually aimed the projectors quite low on the IS and many people outside europe do not like the low aim and have posted DIY guides on how to adjust the aim. If the aim is adjusted, then maybe it might become dazzling but with the stock aim, the light is very sharp and no dazzle at all :)

Nevertheless, the human eye is adapted to work best at lowish levels (and over its dynamic range, using headlights places vision at this low end), to colour temperatures equivalent to reflected moonlight which is around 3950k - because it is after all sunlight reflected and selectively filtered by the atmosphere. Light reflected from a 6000k source is some way down the eye's sensitivity curve because it does not occur naturally, and at low levels, the eye has no need to respond to it. Although direct dazzling is also reduced by the same factor, due to scattered transmission through normal air moisture shifting colour temperature towards yellow, apparent dazzling is increased. At the same time your ability to see the road ahead is decreased by the reduced sensitivity of the eye. All I am saying is that a modification that reduces the functionality of headlights by even a fairly small amount compared with not doing the mod is not exactly a prudent move.....Not so very different from paying out good money for a mod to make a car go slower and use more fuel!

Your cosmetic mods are superb, and I look forward to more at your very high standard.

All I am saying is that a modification that reduces the functionality of headlights by even a fairly small amount compared with not doing the mod is not exactly a prudent move.....

You do have a good point :) I guess I chose to compromise on the slight lower light output for a better cosmetic look :D

Your work with the Exhausts, Emblems and the Carbon-Fibre Wrapping really is genuinely to be admired. You have used skill, imagination, care, craftsmanship and effort to create unique results which are well beyond just screwing on so-called "custom" goodies. What you have produced is subtle and looks professional. Whether people like it is just down to personal taste. Most cosmetic mods label cars as got at by an obvious burke with heaven knows what horrors to be found later, wrecking the resale value. Yours should actually be worth more because people will appreciate quality work and real individuality - although I am sure that is not your motive. Thanks also for letting us share what you have achieved and how you did it.

All thats needed is a set of Genuine IS-F wheels to finish it off. That would go nicely even if they were a different colour

• 1 year later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links