Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi All

I'm not yet a Lexus owner but hope to be soon. I've been looking at the market and reading this forum to gauge the opinions of those that actually own and live with the IS on a day-to-day basis. And I've got some good information so far. But I'm confused :blink: :duh: by the choices I have to make.

On the one hand, the IS220 has strange gear ratios and suffers from turbo lag, unless you go for the Sport, but the fuel economy is good.

On the other, the IS250 is more refined (particularly the auto) but has poorer fuel economy.

So I was looking for a 220 Sport but came across an affordable, low mileage 250 Sport and I don't think I've read too many opinions of the 250 Sport. Is it any good? Are there any problems with it? Is the fuel economy poor? Is the ride harder than a standard IS? Is the road tax expensive?

As you can guess, running costs are an important consideration for me, but so is refinement and the piece of mind of buying an approved used car from Lexus (rather than an independent dealer).

But my current car is dying on it's feet and I need a new one FAST so may just take the plunge on the 250 Sport I've seen.

What are your expert opinions folks?

On the one hand, the IS220 has strange gear ratios and suffers from turbo lag, unless you go for the Sport, but the fuel economy is good.

Better than the 250 yes, but still poor by comparison with other diesels.

On the other, the IS250 is more refined (particularly the auto) but has poorer fuel economy.

Bear in mind that the auto is actually more efficient than the manual (unusual, but true) and sneaks into a lower road tax group.

Thanks for the advice dazed. I wasn't aware of the improved economy of the 250 auto. Having said that, and looked at the figures, after sleeping on it I think that the diesel is my best bet. Now all I need to find is a Sport variant with multimedia...that's in my price range! :eerrrmm:

Thanks for the advice dazed. I wasn't aware of the improved economy of the 250 auto. Having said that, and looked at the figures, after sleeping on it I think that the diesel is my best bet. Now all I need to find is a Sport variant with multimedia...that's in my price range! :eerrrmm:

The IS220D is not a bad car, but if you are used to petrol cars you will quickly become aware that in terms of refined drive, despite enormous advances, the diesel is 20 years behind petrol engines and the IS220D has only 4 cylinders - this is the penalty you have to pay for economy. The best of the breed remains the IS250 auto, but superb though it is, the diesel is sadly a bit cheaper to run.

Fair enough. All I would say is do your own research, which you clearly are, and make sure you drive both types of engine (preferably back to back) so you can be totally sure that you've made the right choice for yourself.

The IS220D is not a bad car, but if you are used to petrol cars you will quickly become aware that in terms of refined drive, despite enormous advances, the diesel is 20 years behind petrol engines and the IS220D has only 4 cylinders - this is the penalty you have to pay for economy. The best of the breed remains the IS250 auto, but superb though it is, the diesel is sadly a bit cheaper to run.

I am used to a petrol car. I have a ClioSport and it is quick. Even the IS250 that I drove wouldn't be able to keep up with it. I expect to compromise some of that performance with either the petrol or the diesel. But if I am going to compromise I'd rather not forego both the performance AND the economy.

I'd also rather not have to give up the simple little "luxuries" like auto headlights and wipers! :D

Thanks for your advice fjcfarrar.

I am used to a petrol car. I have a ClioSport and it is quick. Even the IS250 that I drove wouldn't be able to keep up with it. I expect to compromise some of that performance with either the petrol or the diesel. But if I am going to compromise I'd rather not forego both the performance AND the economy.

I'd also rather not have to give up the simple little "luxuries" like auto headlights and wipers! :D

I'd think carefully before going for the diesel, especially the sport version. I had a 220d for three years, and never had any problems with it, but it was a strange beast. The engine/gearbox combo just never really convinced me.

I then switched to a 250, and I absolutely love it. The creaminess of the engine, smooth auto gearbox, fuel consumption is OK (typically 35 mpg). And I particularly hate harsh suspension, which would put me off the Sport if it has 'uprated' suspension. The regular version is absolutely fine for handling, poise, etc. You would also have a lot more choice of vehicle on the forecourt.

Thanks for the advice JFB2.

There are probably more factors in my decision-making criteria than I've mentioned here. Owning a (very old) Clio Sport means that I'm pretty used to a harsh ride and would probably not expect the IS Sport models to be any worse.

Of course, I expect to make a few compromises and in an ideal world I'd go for the 250 auto as everyone has recommended but there would be no point if I couldn't afford the petrol! :)

I've just bought a 250 F-Sport Auto and the fuel consumption on it's first motorway run was very good at 37.4mpg for the tank it was on. Around town it isn't brilliant, but to say it is a heavy car with a V6 it isn't bad at all. I took out a 220 diesel the other day and if you like diesel sound and tractor-like vibration through the steering wheel and gearstick, then go for it. I'd personally sacrifice the extra fuel range of the diesel for the creamy smooth petrol auto any day.

:tsktsk: Stop trying to change my mind you lot! :D :P :crybaby:

Hey, we're not trying to make you change your mind. We're just giving you our 'expert opinions'! :lol:

I'm sure you'll love whatever you buy. Just go for it. You're right though, after the Clio you'll be in heaven whatever you settle for.

I was being a bit kind-hearted about the IS220D. Driving one after an IS 250 Auto is deeply unpleasant even when you get used to the diesel's gear ratios which are wrong for every situation (although better on the sport). The drive on my 1980 Rover 2600 SDI - a car with many remarkable shortcomings but similar performance (and no toys at all) - was so much more refined than an IS220D that it was in a different league. The SDI diesel was appalling beyond belief, and vividly demonstrates the major progress in diesels since.

If you need to do a lot of miles, so must have the best economy, there is sadly no Lexus alternative. But if you could afford the extra IS 250 Auto costs, they sure are worth it!

I made exactly the same decision back in Feb. Did my research and went for the 220D Sport with MM which I got at the right price. I have been very happy with it after getting used to how you need to drive it.

I would suggest a Lexus Extended Warranty. I have had an EGR failure and issues with the headlight ballasts, the latter would have cost £1200 for parts alone! For me, the sport ticked all the boxes, nearly all of the useful gadgets from the SE-L but with the bonus of 18" Rims, and the upgraded Lexus traction control... Dont have any complaints on the ride quality.

Well I took the plunge and went for a (used) 220D Sport. Obviously not as fast as my Clio but I was pleasantly surprised by the reponse and I have a mate that does chips so I might ask him about putting one on for me just to get a bit more out of it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links