Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Should Rear Discs Be This Loose? (Video)

Mr G

In an effort to preserve my sanity and finally find out where this damn screeching noise is coming from, I decided to take a look to see if the rear discs were rubbing on the calipers. I found that although the rear calipers have corroded and flakes of rust were in contact with the disc, it wasn't the cause of the whistling / screeching sound I'm getting.

I did however notice how loose the discs seemed to be on the hub. Almost like they've not been fitted properly. I always thought discs should have the little counter sunk screws in them that fasten them to the hub. Sure the wheel will pull it up tight but just thought it should be more secure.

Anyway vid > words...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-yA6Funatc

What sort of screeching are you getting mate, did you make sure you applied copper slip on the back of the pads?

It's basically like a high-pitched squealing noise that starts at around 37mph and doesn't go away. When slowing down the noise disappears at maybe 15/20mph. It is neither rev or gear dependant. It doesn't matter if I coast in neutral at say 40/45mph, the noise will be there. Doesn't matter if I jump on the front brakes or pull the handbrake up whilst going along either.

Re copper slip, there was some but not much. Need to pop down to my old man's and put some more on.

I've also had all but one belt replaced under the hood.

It's kinda like when you hear people driving with the handbrake on. That kind of noise but more high-pitched. The other half thinks I'm going mad as she says she can't hear it!!

What sort of screeching are you getting mate, did you make sure you applied copper slip on the back of the pads?

It's basically like a high-pitched squealing noise that starts at around 37mph and doesn't go away. When slowing down the noise disappears at maybe 15/20mph. It is neither rev of gear dependant. It doesn't matter if I coast in nuetral at say 40/45mph, the noise will be there. Doesn't matter if I junp on the front brakes or pull the handbrake up whilst going along either.

Re copper slip, there was some but not much. Need to pop down to my old man's and put some more on.

I've also had all but one belt replaced under the hood.

It's kinda like when you hear people driving with the handbrake on. That kind of noise but more high-pitched. The other half thinks I'm going mad as she says she can't hear it!!

Have you taken the hub off? The reason I ask is that my IS200 Sport had peculiar noises coming form the offside rear wheel and on investigation I found a bent and battered piece of steel inside the hub. I had an exploded view of the rear drum assembly and this loose piece did not match anything on the parts list. It had been loose inside the hub a while and had damaged the hold down springs for the shoes such that the retaining plates had been knocked off. As I could not identify the loose item I removed the nearside rear drum and noticed a similar (although undamaged) piece spot welded to the backplate between the lower shoes retaining spring and the shoe adjuster, I got a further surprise when i prodded this with my finger and it quite literally dropped off. I'm surprised nothing appears to have been mentioned on the forum before as the two spot welds holding these bits in place corrode easily which causes the piece to become a 'loose article' in the drum assembly. It was fortunate the damage on mine was limited to the spring retainers and the shoe brake material.

I'll take a pic of the battered item from the offside hub and it's pristine, although unattached, equivalent from the nearside hub. I still haven't worked out what it's function is, as the shoes appear to operate perfectly well with the handbrake without either of these bits in place.

Have you taken the hub off? The reason I ask is that my IS200 Sport had peculiar noises coming form the offside rear wheel and on investigation I found a bent and battered piece of steel inside the hub. I had an exploded view of the rear drum assembly and this loose piece did not match anything on the parts list. It had been loose inside the hub a while and had damaged the hold down springs for the shoes such that the retaining plates had been knocked off. As I could not identify the loose item I removed the nearside rear drum and noticed a similar (although undamaged) piece spot welded to the backplate between the lower shoes retaining spring and the shoe adjuster, I got a further surprise when i prodded this with my finger and it quite literally dropped off. I'm surprised nothing appears to have been mentioned on the forum before as the two spot welds holding these bits in place corrode easily which causes the piece to become a 'loose article' in the drum assembly. It was fortunate the damage on mine was limited to the spring retainers and the shoe brake material.

I'll take a pic of the battered item from the offside hub and it's pristine, although unattached, equivalent from the nearside hub. I still haven't worked out what it's function is, as the shoes appear to operate perfectly well with the handbrake without either of these bits in place.

Crikey, I don't know if I can be arsed to take the hubs off! So were the noises you heard similar to those I've described? I'll try the copper slip first and see how it goes. Still can't believe that the discs shouldn't be a tighter fit!

Thanks for your help so far chaps!

G

If you are lucky it's just the backplate rubbing on the drum. If that's what it is then the backplate just needs bending back a little.

To check you still need to remove the hub to see if there are rub marks on the plate. It's only two bolts holding the caliper on, so take it off t and place it on the top link to prevent stretching the brake hose. The hub then pulls off, and you can check for any problems with the shoes assembly at the same time.

If you are lucky it's just the backplate rubbing on the drum. If that's what it is then the backplate just needs bending back a little.

To check you still need to remove the hub to see if there are rub marks on the plate. It's only two bolts holding the caliper on, so take it off t and place it on the top link to prevent stretching the brake hose. The hub then pulls off, and you can check for any problems with the shoes assembly at the same time.

Just to clarify, I think by "Hub" Tango actually means the disc? not actually taking the hub off, which is a slightly bigger job.

There is the posibility that the hand brake shoes can wear a groove and prevent the disc just pulling off, in those cases, you may need to wind back the self adjuster (by aligning the hole in the disc to the 6 o'clock position and turning the ratchet back by sticking a small screwdriver through the hole).

Oh sorry, you're only talking about removing the disc/drum. Yeah that's no problem. I thought you meant cracking the main center hub nut and removing the hub / bearing altogether.

Yeah I'll remove the disc and check for any rubbage!

Thanks again.

Just to clarify, I think by "Hub" Tango actually means the disc? not actually taking the hub off, which is a slightly bigger job.

LOL yes, I think (or at least hope!) that's what he meant.

On the first picture of your video you gan see a cross head screw at the bottom of

the hub, this tightens it up, but as previusly said the wheel nuts or bolts secure it tight.

As previous posts, remove it and look inside, also check pad wear is even on both sides

if not one may be rubbing. [partly seized]

On the first picture of your video you gan see a cross head screw at the bottom of

the hub, this tightens it up, but as previusly said the wheel nuts or bolts secure it tight.

As previous posts, remove it and look inside, also check pad wear is even on both sides

Thnaks ROYT, I'll have another prod around at the weekend.

LOL yes, I think (or at least hope!) that's what he meant.

The "screw" that you can see is just the rubber bung covering the hole for backing off the self adjuster. When the discs are installed, a hole should be aligned with the one in the hub, and the bung closes up the hole during normal use.

There is the posibility that the hand brake shoes can wear a groove and prevent the disc just pulling off, in those cases, you may need to wind back the self adjuster (by aligning the hole in the disc to the 6 o'clock position and turning the ratchet back by sticking a small screwdriver through the hole).

Yep, quite right, I meant the disc/drum, not the hub with the bearings in it .

Here's the pics of the item that's likely to have fallen off. As I said, one had fallen off and the other needed only a prod with a finger to do the same. The one that detached itself is the mangled one, obviously.

backplate1.jpg backplate2.jpg

• 1 month later...

After finally having a chance to have a look behind the rear discs I can report that the brakes do not appear to be the cause of the squealing. Apart from not much copper grease on the pads everything is in fine working order. Plenty of life on the pads, shoes and drums. I also took the time to adjust the shoes / handbrake. Drum was not rubbing on backplate either.

Re front brakes I didn't remove the discs, just swung the caliper up to check the pistons / pads. Again, all in working order apart from the absense of both Inner Anti-squeal Shim and Anti-squeal shim so I'll get those ordered and fitted ASAP. Not holding my breath that it'll fix it as I was under the immpression that the anti-squeal shims only prevent squeal under braking?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links