Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Frozen Washers

Hi Fellow Lexuns

During a two day trip down to Devon from Scotland over the xmas week I saw hundreds of people driving with salt smeared windscreens on the motorways and a lot of those were artics, on Xmas eve the temprature on the M5 must have been minus 20 with the wind chill factor at speeds approaching 50mph.

My Ls400 still had frost on the bonnet when I arrived at my Destination 300 miles down the road that says a lot for the insulation in the ls400 but even that does'nt stop the screenwasher nozzles freezing as the fluid exits.

A ruse I learned years ago with My ford consul 375 (am I showing my age)is to mix anti-freeze with the screenwash and water use a 3/1 ratio water to antifreeze mix and then add the screen wash .This is for extreme conditions and it does work may look a bit expensive but whats a few quid if you can see were you're going.

Anti-Freeze!!!!!!! :o

I'm pretty certain it'd damage the paintwork and would never ever put it in the washer bottle..... Are you sure you don't mean the really concentrated screenwash????

Unless you're going for the McLaren bare metal bodywork look. :winky:

Cheers

Dave.

Many years ago I worked for a paint manufacturer. For some time I was responsible for the blending of various solvents. One of these was IsoPropylAlcohol which makes an excellent de-icer. I used to keep a spay bottle with around 40% IPA in water for de-icing windows and a 30% solution in my washer bottle during really cold spells. Also a dash of detergent liquid as a lubricant. IPA is ideal because it evaporates so quickly that it doesn't cause any damage to paintwork, glass or rubbers.

Best to try to buy it in 500ml or 1 ltr cans as the tiny bottles from chemists/maplins etc are prohibitive costwise.

I thought anti-freeze attacked paintwork?

I have not had any problems with it on the laquer and I have diluted the antifreeze with the screenwash which if you look on the label contains the same stuff, etheylene glycol! it is not neat and if directed onto the screen most of it will run off to the road without getting near the paintwork.

It is a tip for extreme conditions and in that scenario will probably be used very infrequently I was not advocating constant use of anti freeze in the washer bottle and wether you use it or not is up to the individual,personally I would rather see were I was going than worry about something that probably will not occur.

From the AA's website.....

"Windscreen washer fluid should be topped up and treated with a proprietary additive to reduce the chance of freezing in frosty weather. Don't use ordinary engine antifreeze as it will damage paintwork."

In response to your comment about it running off the car without going on the paintwork.... I think you'll find it would only do that when stood and if then aloud to stand for quite a while. When using your washers whilst driving the fluid will run the full length of your roof and onto your boot etc....

Why not do a google search for "anti freeze damage paintwork" and you'll find pages of info in various motoring and detailing forums saying how it damages the paintwork not initially but will leave dull marks where it has streaked along the roof etc... As you say it's your personal choice but not something i'd reccomend to others especially when it comes to resale value of your car if you find you have dull streaks all over the roof of your car.... And the bonnet around the jets where fluid normally dribbles out of the jets.

Cheers

Dave.

From the AA's website.....

"•Windscreen washer fluid should be topped up and treated with a proprietary additive to reduce the chance of freezing in frosty weather. Don't use ordinary engine antifreeze as it will damage paintwork."

In response to your comment about it running off the car without going on the paintwork.... I think you'll find it would only do that when stood and if then aloud to stand for quite a while. When using your washers whilst driving the fluid will run the full length of your roof and onto your boot etc....

Why not do a google search for "anti freeze damage paintwork" and you'll find pages of info in various motoring and detailing forums saying how it damages the paintwork not initially but will leave dull marks where it has streaked along the roof etc... As you say it's your personal choice but not something i'd reccomend to others especially when it comes to resale value of your car if you find you have dull streaks all over the roof of your car.... And the bonnet around the jets where fluid normally dribbles out of the jets.

Cheers

Dave.

Dave

I have stated my case we,ll beg to differ.

Anti-Freeze!!!!!!! :o

I'm pretty certain it'd damage the paintwork and would never ever put it in the washer bottle..... Are you sure you don't mean the really concentrated screenwash????

Unless you're going for the McLaren bare metal bodywork look. :winky:

Cheers

Dave.

Hi Dave

All looks pretty shiny to me.post-11542-0-78065700-1294267015.jpg

In all fairness you're not exactly going to see the damage i'm talking about in a picture like that are you?!?!?! :rolleyes:

As you say we'll beg to differ i just wanted to point out i'm not alone in thinking it'll more than likely cause damage to paintwork as per the AA and as i mentioned numerous other motoring and detailing sites / forums. I didn't want someone who didn't know any better trying something similar and then coming on here ranting at you cos it's damaged their car. :winky:

Cheers

Dave.

Dave

Perhaps this pic will help to aleviate your concern ,as you are aware any submissions placed on this site are subject to a disclaimer and it is up to the individual to use their own judgement.I have owned this car for 15 years and as you will appreciate the last thing I am going to do is damage it wilfully .

It is now probably one of a small surviving number of the first Lexus ls400 introduced into the UK in 1990 and designated as the 97th.

This pic was taken in July 2010 and with 177k on the clock still runs as good as it looks.

The comments on anti-freeze on the forums are inconclusive and the AA are a motoring organisation who although they provide a breakdown service are not chemists or manufacturers of products.

If your car is waxed properly should there be any dulling it will be the wax doing its job of protecting the paintwork.

I hope you have as much fun with your GS300 as I have had with My LS400 and keep polishing.

post-11542-0-05089900-1294307970.jpg

Hi freezing screenwash is always a problem in the recent low temperatures I have been using a concentrated Unipart screen wash which is available in 5 litre containers from my local unipart depot .this works well for me and the car is kept outside at night ;according to the label on the container at full strength it is OK down to -15 and can be diluted to 10/15% for the summer

Hi Fellow Lexuns

During a two day trip down to Devon from Scotland over the xmas week I saw hundreds of people driving with salt smeared windscreens on the motorways and a lot of those were artics, on Xmas eve the temprature on the M5 must have been minus 20 with the wind chill factor at speeds approaching 50mph.

My Ls400 still had frost on the bonnet when I arrived at my Destination 300 miles down the road that says a lot for the insulation in the ls400 but even that does'nt stop the screenwasher nozzles freezing as the fluid exits.

A ruse I learned years ago with My ford consul 375 (am I showing my age)is to mix anti-freeze with the screenwash and water use a 3/1 ratio water to antifreeze mix and then add the screen wash .This is for extreme conditions and it does work may look a bit expensive but whats a few quid if you can see were you're going.

Not to sure about the antifreeze mate thats a new one on me, I have heard about the peeled spud in the water and it works but not used it for many years as the screen wash you get today is good, and good motor the 375 I had the consul mk1 colum change

Hi Fellow Lexuns

Not to sure about the antifreeze mate thats a new one on me, I have heard about the peeled spud in the water and it works but not used it for many years as the screen wash you get today is good, and good motor the 375 I had the consul mk1 colum change

Hi

The spud idea is fine to stop the windscreen freezing but it does,nt help the contents of the water bottle,its good to get some ideas coming in on how keep the screen clear and drive safely.Incidently the consuls were all three gear column change with a front bench seat ,great love wagons and the wipers worked on a vaccum from the engine which was an absolute horror when cold freezing weather prevailed.

The comments regarding screenwash working down to -15 are a real bonus as most of the stuff on the market only works at up to -5.

I've been using the Halfords double concentrate stuff for years. At 100% screenwash concetration, it is good down to -23°C, at 60% it is -18°C and at 50% it is -17°C. In the summer I have it diluted down much further, less than 10% normally.

I've been using the halfords double concentrate stuff for years. At 100% screenwash concetration, it is good down to -23°C, at 60% it is -18°C and at 50% it is -17°C. In the summer I have it diluted down much further, less than 10% normally.

That's the stuff i've been using for about 4 years now and it works a treat. Never gone more than something like 20% at the very most and on the odd occasion it has frozen up, (Basically only this last two winters), It's started working again after about 5 or 10 mins of the engine running.

Out of interest anyone know what size the washer bottle is on the IS??? And is it a different size on IS's with headlight washers than on the one's without??? I know on the Fabia vRS, which i had, the cars with factory fit xenons had an 8 litre washer tank compared to the normal 5 litre tank because of the extra water used by the headlight washers.

Cheers

Dave.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links