Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

As a result of not using my car for a couple of weeks, the Battery went flat. When I recharged the Battery in situ, it set off the car alarm, so I took the Battery off the car to recharge it. Now when I come to put the fully charged Battery back on the car, I would like to know the following:

1) Is it safe to disconnect the Battery to re-charge it? 2) Is it possible to blow the ECUs by doing this? 3) What precautions should I take? Any advice would be appreciated.

Disconnecting the Battery itself should not cause any problems as long as you reconnect it the right way around,things to consider are the alarm codes,which should not be affected as the alarm systems normally have a back up supply and the radio code.

When reconnecting the Battery ensure one of the doors is left open and the key is in your pocket just incase the central locking activates.

If the Battery is getting on a bit it may need replacing if this is the case Lexus dealers are generally very good on prices and they fit for free.

You can buy "Smart Chargers" for around £100.00 which will allow on car charging.

The reason why the alarm went off is probably because the Battery is completely flat so when you connected the charger and the bonnet was open the system detected a problem and sounded the alarm. I assume you turned of the alarm with your fob.

One final point allow the Battery gases to vent ( give it an hour) after charging before reconnecting to the car,hydrogen can be produced during charging and one spark is all that is needed!

As a result of not using my car for a couple of weeks, the battery went flat. When I recharged the battery in situ, it set off the car alarm, so I took the battery off the car to recharge it. Now when I come to put the fully charged battery back on the car, I would like to know the following:

1) Is it safe to disconnect the battery to re-charge it? 2) Is it possible to blow the ECUs by doing this? 3) What precautions should I take? Any advice would be appreciated.

You stand more of a risk of doing damage by charging a Battery in situ conected, connect the possative first then the negative. You may want to invest in an optimate trickle charger if you leave the car idle for long periods. Or a solar charger panel on the dash if you dont have a mains supply near the car to plug the trickle charger into.

Make sure that you connect the charger to the Battery before connecting the charger to the mains and turning on.

If your Battery is not a sealed Battery, ensure that the cells are topped up to the right level and vent cells during charging. It may sound "overkill" but best to remove anything metallic such as watch, chain etc which could possibly touch and cause a short......sparks are best avoided during charging!!!! If ever you do charge the Battery in-situ always disconnect it from the car.

Hello,

I have charged the Battery on my 430 without any problems. Everything worked properly when i re connected. You should (as others have said) disconnect both terminals. There are no sppecific things to do but I do think it is advisable to use the key to lock/unlock the car and be ready to blip in case the alarm is set off. If the radio is coded then make a note of the number as you may need to re set this.

Pete

Thanks everyone for your help. I was more worried about blowing the ECUs which happened to my car last year (that's another story and not my fault!). I don't know my radio code so I hope it will be OK when I reconnect the Battery later today. If anyone has more info on the solar panel recharger, please let me know.

Thanks everyone for your help. I was more worried about blowing the ECUs which happened to my car last year (that's another story and not my fault!). I don't know my radio code so I hope it will be OK when I reconnect the battery later today. If anyone has more info on the solar panel recharger, please let me know.

Plenty on here,not sure of the quality/reliability

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1311&_nkw=solar+panel+charger&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I get Octane magazine. They are running a subscription promotion at the moment. Subscribe for 12 months and get an RSC1 Mainatainance Smart Charger free of charge.

Brilliant magazine to. Full of quality and performance cars old and new.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links