Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Modified Or Customised

Is there a diffrence between custom and modded??

Should be good topic. Theres a lot of people who like a standard car. Theres a lot that like to change them.

Seems to me theres a diffrence between a mod and custom. Let me explain. In my opinion Custom would be a change to better suit the driver. Modded would a change to improve the car.

Now theres also a lot of overlap in that.

I have a few custom bits on my car. I have a twin tail pipe exhaust (one each side) its no louder doesnt give more power doesnt change anything really just the looks. I also have an induction kit and one of engine and strut top covers again no noticable diffrence to the car other than looks.

Painting your wheels black on a black car changes nothing other than looks. mod or custom?

Enforced changes like new stereo after error 3 code, mod or custom??

leather/half leather heated seats from cloth mod or custom.?

It would appear to me that some changes are ok but others are not. I mean no one would complain if you put half leather in if you only had cloth to start with. But most people would look down on a big bore exhaust. Any change to a car is a mod even if you have your carset up at wim. Its not factory therefore a mod,again no one would complain about a wim set up.

So every one list whats a good mod whats a custom change whats good and whats bad. I am just curious to see who thinks what abotu what changes are good and bad

My general rule is, if its involves changing something you already have then that is customization. e.g. painting your existing wheels another colour, changing colour of bulbs.

And anything you do that actually replaces/adds to the original part is modification e.g. fitting a twin exhaust.

I've always thought of customized cars to be the ones with all the bodykits and big spoilers, and modified cars to be the ones with the twin turbo rip your face of engines. :)

However there would of course be exceptions to that as with any rule. For instance, even though fitting a new head unit involves replacing an original part. I would still only call that customization.

I would say that a modded car would be one that's different from how it came from the factory. I suppose you could argue that even replacing the tyres was a type of mod.

Customising a car is more like a personal change to better suit the taste of the owner.

So how much is too much before you buy a diffrent car. An example, a pal of mine has an Aristo (gs300)he has spent in excess of £4500 on the engine to make it faster. To me he would have been better of buying a faster car then putting this much money into a car. Whats the genral opinion of how much is silly before you should just buy a new car. Like puttign a turbo on an is200 wouldnt buying an is300 be better option?.

So how much is too much before you buy a diffrent car. An example, a pal of mine has an Aristo (gs300)he has spent in excess of £4500 on the engine to make it faster. To me he would have been better of buying a faster car then putting this much money into a car. Whats the genral opinion of how much is silly before you should just buy a new car. Like puttign a turbo on an is200 wouldnt buying an is300 be better option?.

but Customising/Modifying isnt about the money.

Its about being different. Ive spent nearly £23K i estimate on my car including buying it. I could go out and buy an M3 or an Evo but it wouldnt be the same. My car is both modified and customised but its mine, i wont ever see another car like it thats the whole point to me

Ps on topic i consider mod's as bought "off the shelf", and customisations as one of a kind.

but Customising/Modifying isnt about the money.

Its about being different. Ive spent nearly £23K i estimate on my car including buying it. I could go out and buy an M3 or an Evo but it wouldnt be the same. My car is both modified and customised but its mine, i wont ever see another car like it thats the whole point to me

Ps on topic i consider mod's as bought "off the shelf", and customisations as one of a kind.

I like your post script very good point to consider. Made me think about the diffrence between mod and custom. In short non Lexus parts on a Lexus would be custom ? Changing a Lexus part for a diffrent Lexus part would be modded?.

but Customising/Modifying isnt about the money.Its about being different. Ive spent nearly £23K i estimate on my car including buying it. I could go out and buy an M3 or an Evo but it wouldnt be the same. My car is both modified and customised but its mine, i wont ever see another car like it thats the whole point to mePs on topic i consider mod's as bought "off the shelf", and customisations as one of a kind.
I like your post script very good point to consider. Made me think about the diffrence between mod and custom. In short non Lexus parts on a Lexus would be custom ? Changing a Lexus part for a diffrent Lexus part would be modded?.

What I take from that, is for example. You fit a TTE front bumper to your car, thats a mod. However, if you take out the plastic section in the middle where the number plate goes to expose your massive intercooler, thats customization. :winky:

I like the thought process there sprinter. I think taking something of would be a mod, putting the intercooler on in the first place would be custom as far as i am aware an intercooler wouldnt be a Lexus part.

but Customising/Modifying isnt about the money.Its about being different. Ive spent nearly £23K i estimate on my car including buying it. I could go out and buy an M3 or an Evo but it wouldnt be the same. My car is both modified and customised but its mine, i wont ever see another car like it thats the whole point to mePs on topic i consider mod's as bought "off the shelf", and customisations as one of a kind.

What I take from that, is for example. You fit a TTE front bumper to your car, thats a mod. However, if you take out the plastic section in the middle where the number plate goes to expose your massive intercooler, thats customization. :winky:

Got it in one mate.

and Fil, its doesnt need to be a lexus part. like fitting a defi gauge is a mod cause its off the shelf but not lexus. making a 6 hole gauge pod on the middle of the dash, thats a one off so custom

Got it in one mate.

and Fil, its doesnt need to be a lexus part. like fitting a defi gauge is a mod cause its off the shelf but not lexus. making a 6 hole gauge pod on the middle of the dash, thats a one off so custom

I have one of strut top covers theres only 2 in the world so they are custom??? if i copied them and mass produced them would they stil be custom?? or would they become a mod?.

As they are, being 1 of only 2 pairs in the world I would say custom. As you couldn't just go into a shop and buy them. If however after buying them, they started mass producing them, in my opinion they would then become a mod, even though you had them first.

I have one of strut top covers theres only 2 in the world so they are custom??? if i copied them and mass produced them would they stil be custom?? or would they become a mod?.

What strut top covers? theres quite a lot of them about mate there was a group buy on here not so long ago.

but yeah the point i agree with.

What strut top covers? theres quite a lot of them about mate there was a group buy on here not so long ago.

but yeah the point i agree with.

round discs of ally with 3 holes to mount and the word Lexus cut through the ally. Polished or satin finish. or even painted. I had them made so i know they are a one of. The were also a great buy ?? if thats the right word, as they were free my mate knocked them up for me in his dinner hour!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links