Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Import Duty

One of the items have bought for the GS recently has resulted in an invoice from Fedex for import duty. My question is, what am I legally responsible for? On the invoice, there is £5 Import VAT (or something similar for the description), and £10 admin fee (which I assume is a Fedex admin fee). Do I have to pay that fee? What would Fedex do if I didn't? I don't mind paying the duty, but I think that the admin fee seems like a bit of a p%ss take.

One of the items have bought for the GS recently has resulted in an invoice from Fedex for import duty. My question is, what am I legally responsible for? On the invoice, there is £5 Import VAT (or something similar for the description), and £10 admin fee (which I assume is a Fedex admin fee). Do I have to pay that fee? What would Fedex do if I didn't? I don't mind paying the duty, but I think that the admin fee seems like a bit of a p%ss take.

I think you have to pay all of it, I've had a similar charge from Royal Mail before - it's annoying but it's your responsibility in my understanding.

You have no choice but to pay....or be taken to court over the amount :duh:

You lucky it didn't come via royal mail, they charge you £8 and you have to go an collect it from thier depot! :tsktsk:

Charges you are liable to pay (depending on value)

Import VAT Which will be applicable in all cases

Import Duty Essentially a made up percentage created by customs depending on what the item is, but only applicable if the item is worth over about £120)

Handling/Admin Charge Having travelled maybe half way round the world, the UK courier that does the last 20miles of the journey is then allowed to charge you an additional fee for the privelage. And again, is just whatever your particular courier decides to charge you.

You won't get taken to court over not paying. However the courier is quite within their rights to just not give you your item untill all charges are paid.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links