Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fly Wheel

lexus22

Our fly wheels can be resurfaced! One place reckoned it could,nt be done, but a "proper" firm had a look and said no problem..cost will be £90 + vat.

Will be ready sometime next week, good news!!

that wont get rid of the judder if you have a judder the judder is caused by worn dampers in the fly its self..

Thats true, what a daft design..why weld the thing instead of nuts & bolts that could give access to the dampers which could be replaced. Absolutley pathetic!! How the hell they can justify almost £1000 for a new one is beyond me, a couple of hundred is about right.

Maybe the idea behind it is to over price the fly wheel so that it is not viable to reapir a car that is only worth £2000, trade the car back to Lexus and buy a new one..hmmm

Could somebody please explain what determines a flywheel to be past it? Symptoms, technical causes and how welding would cure as above?

My car is going in for new clutch on Friday and I want to be prepared with a knowledge base if the mechanic tells me I need a new flywheel.

Thanks

Could somebody please explain what determines a flywheel to be past it? Symptoms, technical causes and how welding would cure as above?

My car is going in for new clutch on Friday and I want to be prepared with a knowledge base if the mechanic tells me I need a new flywheel.

Thanks

There are springs which act as dampers inside the flywheel which cannot be replaced. If these are worn/damaged flywheel judders quite badly, worse felt when in slow moving traffic. The garage should have a device to measure the amount of movement in the flywheel. As mentioned, they can be welded up so it becomes a solid one but this will affect/change how the car drives...but as I have not done this, I cant say in detail.

Just make sure you are sitting down if he tells you it is fecked as a new one will cost almost 1k..

I have a small amount of judder upon pulling away when the engine is cold - but I have read on here many people have cured this with a new clutch? I have booked in a new clutch as it started slipping a few weeks back and also because of the judder pulling away. Hoping now that this 'judder' is NOT due to the flywheel :-(

I have a small amount of judder upon pulling away when the engine is cold - but I have read on here many people have cured this with a new clutch? I have booked in a new clutch as it started slipping a few weeks back and also because of the judder pulling away. Hoping now that this 'judder' is due to the flywheel :-(

I had a judder on mine even though it had only done 36k miles, but the clutch was'nt slipping at all. Had a new clutch put in but did'nt cure it, but you have to start somewhere. The garage did'nt have the means of "testing" the flywheel at the time which looking back was a bad thing.

Make sure that the garage who are doing your clutch have a flywheel tester mate!!!

There is no way on earth I can afford a new flywheel....and even if I could I wouldn't warrant spending £1000 on a car only worth £3k MAX.

I'm not going to even mention the Flywheel, and just see how the new clutch fairs. Though I am using an Indy Toyota garage run by two ex Toyota technicians so chances are they shall test my flywheel anyhow.

How will a faulty flywheel develop and eventually die? What exactly will happen?

There is no way on earth I can afford a new flywheel....and even if I could I wouldn't warrant spending £1000 on a car only worth £3k MAX.

I'm not going to even mention the Flywheel, and just see how the new clutch fairs. Though I am using an Indy Toyota garage run by two ex Toyota technicians so chances are they shall test my flywheel anyhow.

How will a faulty flywheel develop and eventually die? What exactly will happen?

No harm in getting them to test it, at least you will know the situation..if they dont test it you might think that the new clutch is faulty if there is a judder.

I'm with you mate, if my car was worth say 15 or 20k then I would buy a new flywheel but not on a car thats only worth 4k, rather park it at Beachy Head and leave the hand brake off!!

Dont think that the flywheel will totaly die, more that the play inside will worsen and make the car almost undrivable when pulling away.

As mentioned, I bought a used flywheel which is away being refaced at the moment, I dont know if there is any wear in it yet, as it can only be tested whilst attached to the engine. If there is wear then I will look into having the damn thing welded up!

Fingers crossed mate, you might be lucky... ;)

it doesnt need to be attached to anything to be tested and you dont need any fancy tools either more than an inch of free play and its gubbed...and if it fails you will loose all drive...also if you weld your flywheel you prob wont notice anything in the way it drives..

All interesting stuff...what is it that causes it then? Driving style? Or pot luck you get one that doesn't last very long?

I wish I knew mate!... Ormi, would'nt welding it together put it slightly out of balance though??

Thanks

Do you know what make of clutch kit they are fitting to your car and how much£ ?

I bought the kit myself. I found from here that Exedy are OEM spec and lots of people have fitted them so went with them. Eurocarparts.co.uk have 15% off clutches at the moment so it cost me £170ish and the garage are charging £150 for labour which includes changing my gearbox and diff oils which i am also supplying.

Im hoping a noticeable difference in drive after the work, but after all the discussions surrounding the fly wheel im not getting my hopes up tbh.

I bought the kit myself. I found from here that Exedy are OEM spec and lots of people have fitted them so went with them. Eurocarparts.co.uk have 15% off clutches at the moment so it cost me £170ish and the garage are charging £150 for labour which includes changing my gearbox and diff oils which i am also supplying.

Im hoping a noticeable difference in drive after the work, but after all the discussions surrounding the fly wheel im not getting my hopes up tbh.

Labour sounds cheap enough if that does'nt need vat. let us know the outcome mate.

Labour sounds cheap enough if that does'nt need vat. let us know the outcome mate.

So here is my update after having a new clutch kit fitted:

1) Judder when pulling away is minimized, almost completely cured. I get a little wobble if I try to roll the car away without throttle and that's pretty much it!

2) My gear stick used to shake on the motorway and you could feel a wobble through the car to, that has completely cured for an even smoother 'new car' cruising feel ;-)

3) Acceleration in all gears is greatly improved (especially 5th and 6th on motorway)!

4) Clutch pedal is like new with a very precise bite. (I did ask the garage to replace and bleed the hydraulic fluid)

Message to all....I wouldn't let this flywheel scare put you off. If you are experiencing judder and have done over 50k, get a new clutch for now, and see how you get on!

So here is my update after having a new clutch kit fitted:

1) Judder when pulling away is minimized, almost completely cured. I get a little wobble if I try to roll the car away without throttle and that's pretty much it!

2) My gear stick used to shake on the motorway and you could feel a wobble through the car to, that has completely cured for an even smoother 'new car' cruising feel ;-)

3) Acceleration in all gears is greatly improved (especially 5th and 6th on motorway)!

4) Clutch pedal is like new with a very precise bite. (I did ask the garage to replace and bleed the hydraulic fluid)

Message to all....I wouldn't let this flywheel scare put you off. If you are experiencing judder and have done over 50k, get a new clutch for now, and see how you get on!

Good stuff mate glad it worked out for you, as you say, see how it goes!

Collected the resurfaced flywheel for my car which was skimmed by 2m, looks like new but for £90+vat it should do!

Car being done tomorrow, they have a tester to check the flywheel, if to much play then they will weld it. Having another gearbox put in at the same time as got a slight whine on original, so tomorrow will be interesting... if things work out then great, if not I will grab a branch off the nearest tree and give it a damn good thrashing!!!

Take it the new 'box is a reconditioned unit? With all those factors being renewed/repaired tomorrow you should notice a vast improvement!

Here's to smooth motoring courtesy of Lexus ;-)

God, I sound old! haha

Take it the new 'box is a reconditioned unit? With all those factors being renewed/repaired tomorrow you should notice a vast improvement!

Here's to smooth motoring courtesy of Lexus ;-)

God, I sound old! haha

Bought the gearbox and flywheel from a local guy. Came out of his wifes car as he had water leak from rear of engine so swapped the whole lot out of a salvaged car. He reckons that the gearbox was fine but I wont know how "fine" it is until its fitted. Courtesy of Lexus my backside!! this car has been a pain since I got it, one would think that a car with only 37k should still drive like new, should have gone with original plan of a Jaguar xtype 3.0, not to much more on fuel and much faster. If not happy tomorrow then goodbye Lexus hellow Jaguar..

Jesus, 37k!......Sounds like its been through the wars mate. I bought mine at 74k and it still goes like new! I'd say you've been unlucky fella :-(

Yeah, reckon so! I know a bit about cars (or so I thought) and the car was in superb condition. I took it for a test drive but clearly missed the gearbox whine and clutch judder. I also own a 1986 Lotus Esprit Turbo that I bought about 20 years ago but spends most of its life under a dust sheet in the corner of my garage, bought the Lexus to use every day for business as I thought they never gave trouble! Hindsight eh..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links