Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Treating Myself To A Lexus

I am now very close to purchasing my first Lexus. I have a copy of the registration document and under 'Make' it states 'Lexus' There is nothing written against 'Type' and, under 'Variant' it states ALE20(E) and under 'version' it says ALE20R-AEFLYW(1D) and under 'Model' it says IS220D.

The car has SatNav and Bluetooth and Reversing Monitor and Mark Levinson Audio etc but nowhere does it mention SE or Multimedia. Does anyone have any ideas please. I am trying to ascertain whether or not I am getting a good deal at £8700 to include 12months warranty and what is termed as a 'Medium Service'. The car was first registered 03/03/2008 and has 72K on the clock.

Any help/comments will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Hi and welcome to the club.

If the car has Sat Nav, reversing monitor and Mark Levinson then it is definitely a model with the Multimedia pack. To determine whether the car is an S ,SE Sport or SE-L model, we will need some more information about the car.

Does it have any of the following;

Leather interior

Auto dip rear mirror

Rear blind

HID lights with Headlight washers

Wood inserts in the centre console and by the window switches

16", 17" or 18" Lexus alloy wheels

Illuminated sill plates

Thank you so much for helping with this. I have put my answers beside your questions (Hope it works!!) Your comments on the price and the mileage would be greatly appreciated. What are your thoughts on the 250IS? I am sorely tempted by this model and there does seem to be a good selection available. I am really keen on the SE-L for either model. Thanks again for your input.

Hi and welcome to the club.

If the car has Sat Nav, reversing monitor and Mark Levinson then it is definitely a model with the Multimedia pack. To determine whether the car is an S ,SE Sport or SE-L model, we will need some more information about the car.

Does it have any of the following;

Leather interior - NO

Auto dip rear mirror - NOT TOO SURE - I DIDN'T NOTICE

Rear blind - NO

HID lights with Headlight washers - DON'T KNOW WHAT HID LIGHTS ARE BUT THERE ARE NO WASHERS

Wood inserts in the centre console and by the window switches NO THERE ARE NO WOOD INSERTS

16", 17" or 18" Lexus alloy wheels 16" ALLOY WHEELS

Illuminated sill plates - CAN'T SAY THAT I NOTICED THIS EITHER

I am now very close to purchasing my first Lexus. I have a copy of the registration document and under 'Make' it states 'Lexus' There is nothing written against 'Type' and, under 'Variant' it states ALE20(E) and under 'version' it says ALE20R-AEFLYW(1D) and under 'Model' it says IS220D.

The car has SatNav and Bluetooth and Reversing Monitor and Mark Levinson Audio etc but nowhere does it mention SE or Multimedia. Does anyone have any ideas please. I am trying to ascertain whether or not I am getting a good deal at £8700 to include 12months warranty and what is termed as a 'Medium Service'. The car was first registered 03/03/2008 and has 72K on the clock.

If you are after an exceptionally fine car with decent performance, reasonable economy and a smooth, refined V6 drive; go for the IS250SEL Auto with the multimedia pack. The IS250 manual gearbox is not as good as the superb auto - the Tax disk for the Manual version actually costs more plus it provides worse economy. If you need to minimise fuel costs and are a masochist who gets off on disappointment; go for the IS220D which is everything you would expect from a 4-pot diesel car and only comes with a manual gearbox with peculiar ratios.

Thank you for this input. I have now decided to abandon my pursuit of the 220D and have widened my search for a 250IS, Hopefully i will find one within my budget. Thanks again.

If you are after an exceptionally fine car with decent performance, reasonable economy and a smooth, refined V6 drive; go for the IS250SEL Auto with the multimedia pack. The IS250 manual gearbox is not as good as the superb auto - the Tax disk for the Manual version actually costs more plus it provides worse economy. If you need to minimise fuel costs and are a masochist who gets off on disappointment; go for the IS220D which is everything you would expect from a 4-pot diesel car and only comes with a manual gearbox with peculiar ratios.

Wise move looking for an IS250. Make sure you get a nice long test drive in one (I suggest a weekend) you will be sold on it (especially if an auto). ;-)

Agree with above,(auto) if you can't get one for a weekend then minimum must be not less than a full day.

Wise move looking for an IS250. Make sure you get a nice long test drive in one (I suggest a weekend) you will be sold on it (especially if an auto). ;-)

Having had a look at the MPG stats I have had to have a complete re-think. Musch as i would have loved to own a 250IS (I have always wanted to own a 6 cylinder car)I just couldn't afford to run one and so have reverted to the 220d. My cousin has had two of these and I have been really impressed with them, and so has he. Thanks to all for your comments. I will post again when I have my new car.

Having had a look at the MPG stats I have had to have a complete re-think. Musch as i would have loved to own a 250IS (I have always wanted to own a 6 cylinder car)I just couldn't afford to run one and so have reverted to the 220d. My cousin has had two of these and I have been really impressed with them, and so has he. Thanks to all for your comments. I will post again when I have my new car.

A shame. Many find mpg differences between IS250 Auto & IS220D not huge. Official mpg figures seem nearly achieved for IS250 Autos and often nowhere near achieved or consistent for IS220D - as posts on here show. (Note: mpg now on the Lexus site refer to the reworked IS200D & is better than for IS220D). Nevertheless, Devon's hilly terrain is a bit different from the typical "Mixed" or "Extra-Urban" situations, and the engine will regularly work fairly hard; so the diesel could have a real mpg advantage if nothing else (well actually, definitely nothing else). Anyway, the best of luck & I seriously suggest that because you are impressed and satisfied by your cousin's IS220D - just enjoy yours and never, ever try an IS250.

If economy is a big factor in your choice then the 220d is unlikely to be right car for you. I would recommend that you investigate other 'prestige' cars before making your final decision.

Just my two cents.

If economy is a big factor in your choice then the 220d is unlikely to be right car for you. I would recommend that you investigate other 'prestige' cars before making your final decision.

Just my two cents.

Hiya dazed, Thank you for your input. If I can get a return that is something similar to my cousin and his 220d then I will be quite happy. He went to France and Spain recently for three weeks and his overall consumption figure was just over 49 mpg. I will be happy with that.

Just my two cents.

Hiya dazed, Thank you for your input. If I can get a return that is something similar to my cousin and his 220d then I will be quite happy. He went to France and Spain recently for three weeks and his overall consumption figure was just over 49 mpg. I will be happy with that.

Using the official mpg figures below which may not be entirely realistic, but should compare like for like reasonably.

IS220D Urban 35.8 Extra-Urban 52.3 Combined 44.8

IS250 Auto Urban 23.9 Extra-Urban 43.5 Combined 33.6

(IS200D Urban 44.8 Extra-Urban 64.2 Combined 55.4 - rework of IS220D from late 2010)

Your cousin achieved 49 mpg which is close to the average of Combined & Extra Urban equalling 48.55 mpg. The similar average for an IS250 Auto is 38.55 mpg. Also using the AA figures for average fuel prices October 2011 of Diesel £1.396/gal & Petrol £1.345/gal; over a 3000 mile holiday, fuel costs work out as follows:

IS220D 61.79 gal, 280.78 litres @ £1.396/litre = £391.98

IS250 Auto 77.82 gal, 353.62 litres @ £1.345/litre = £475.62

This works out for fuel for the IS250 Auto to be £28 more per 1000 miles. I believe in general, this figure would be less - probably nearer £20.

Now, it is my belief that the superb, smooth, silent and relaxing drive of the IS250Auto with much better performance when you want it is worth every penny of an extra 2 - 3 pence per mile. However, if the extra cost tips the balance; could you maybe think about a High-end Toyota Avensis Diesel, which although not quite a Lexus is a well-equipped car which drives really well plus is a lot cheaper to buy and run. And of course these days "Other cars are available" :whistling:

Using the official mpg figures below which may not be entirely realistic, but should compare like for like reasonably.

IS220D Urban 35.8 Extra-Urban 52.3 Combined 44.8

IS250 Auto Urban 23.9 Extra-Urban 43.5 Combined 33.6

(IS200D Urban 44.8 Extra-Urban 64.2 Combined 55.4 - rework of IS220D from late 2010)

Your cousin achieved 49 mpg which is close to the average of Combined & Extra Urban equalling 48.55 mpg. The similar average for an IS250 Auto is 38.55 mpg. Also using the AA figures for average fuel prices October 2011 of Diesel £1.396/gal & Petrol £1.345/gal; over a 3000 mile holiday, fuel costs work out as follows:

IS220D 61.79 gal, 280.78 litres @ £1.396/litre = £391.98

IS250 Auto 77.82 gal, 353.62 litres @ £1.345/litre = £475.62

This works out for fuel for the IS250 Auto to be £28 more per 1000 miles. I believe in general, this figure would be less - probably nearer £20.

Now, it is my belief that the superb, smooth, silent and relaxing drive of the IS250Auto with much better performance when you want it is worth every penny of an extra 2 - 3 pence per mile. However, if the extra cost tips the balance; could you maybe think about a High-end Toyota Avensis Diesel, which although not quite a Lexus is a well-equipped car which drives really well plus is a lot cheaper to buy and run. And of course these days "Other cars are available" :whistling:

An excellent and fair post. Summarises pretty much what I would have written if I could have spared the time.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links