Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Come So Little Support / Input On The Gs300?

I am totally surprised that there seems to be so little input from GS300 owners - especially in terms of mods and tuning.

Not sure why this is (or seems to be) as the GS is such a great basis for such things without going over the top.

Not sure thats totally true. You can make a BFI intake for a few pounds. Plus bearing in mind the engine is basically a Supra engine which is amply catered for. I picked up my GS Sport yesterday and was totally surprised it had been modified a bit (lowered, cone filter and decent exhaust) but I do intend to do some bits on it such as putting some induction piping through to the filter and put a heat shield around it to stop heat sink.

Btw Tigerfish, can you point me to where the part number for the arista surround for the radio? Tried looking for it but couldn't find it. Cheers

Yeah, intakes and stuff are easy enough to DIY true enough. The stock intake system is pretty good though so stick a k&n in the standard system and the jobs done. Custom exhausts are relatively cheap.

Agree it is a supra engine, no cheap gains to be had with the NA GS300 though. If you have the TT Aristo that is a different matter with the various single turbo routes.

Cosmetics wise, there ain't a lot unless you have deep pockets or want to go the VIP path.

The part numbers for the fascia are in the link from my sig lines below mate.

Rick, instead of the wood you used, would some of those radio fitting strip you can get from Halfrauds work? The flat strips with about a dozen holes in them?

Yeah, I'm sure they would. There may even be a proper bracket from Toyota. The problem was that the diagrams were so poor it was hard to tell without ordering stuff on the off chance.

I am totally surprised that there seems to be so little input from GS300 owners - especially in terms of mods and tuning.

Not sure why this is (or seems to be) as the GS is such a great basis for such things without going over the top.

I Just bought a Rev 3 GS430 and finding the same. I am happy with the performance and looks though. I may be looking for a little more noise (although it does seem to growl nicely at 4k revs and above). Maybe some new custom wheels would be nice and a K&N filter. I didnt know the GS had the supra engine I presume that just relates to the GS300 rather than the 430.

Cheers

Dom

I Just bought a Rev 3 GS430 and finding the same. I am happy with the performance and looks though. I may be looking for a little more noise (although it does seem to growl nicely at 4k revs and above). Maybe some new custom wheels would be nice and a K&N filter. I didnt know the GS had the supra engine I presume that just relates to the GS300 rather than the 430.

Cheers

Dom

Yeah, it is the straight six 3 litre in the GS300 that is the same.

I thought so - Although the thought of a 4.3 twin turbo Supra sounds quite nice :P

What I would have liked would have been a Series 1 GS with the 430 engine as I think the Series 1 is a much nicer looking car.

I thought so - Although the thought of a 4.3 twin turbo Supra sounds quite nice :P

What I would have liked would have been a Series 1 GS with the 430 engine as I think the Series 1 is a much nicer looking car.

The yanks did get a GS400 V8 mk1 I believe, which would've been a nice motor.

Get it right guys! its the Supra that has the GS engine, not the other way round! the GS had it first.

It's OK if it's the Aristo the skys the limit. There is more tuning gear in the USA and it sometimes comes on eBay, but nothing cheap.

I recently bought a GS300 and I too was surprised to see that is had some mods, lowered a bit and shiny new custom twin s/s back boxes

the car makes a lovely growl under load.

On the other hand I have found the owners community to be rather small in comparison to Scoobynet (where I am a member too)

Its maybe down to the rarity of the GS300 and maybe even the type of driver you can get running the car. Its a bit sad really as the car is one of the prime candidates for 'Wolf-in-sheeps-clothing' / 'sleeper' crown. Amazingly comfortable, swift and reliable but relatively unknown outside Japanese import circles. That said, the sister section of the forum for the IS200 etc seems to be fully enthusiastic. I have found a great source of projects though which is very helpful.

I've got a few tasks needing to be done on mine, repairing/replacing the aerial, possibly upgrading the brakes and the dashboard LED light conversion. Also going to do HID headlights and put in a cold air intake and heat shield.

Its maybe down to the rarity of the GS300 and maybe even the type of driver you can get running the car. Its a bit sad really as the car is one of the prime candidates for 'Wolf-in-sheeps-clothing' / 'sleeper' crown.

Type of driver? Not entirely sure how to take that comment as I ran a Series 1 GS 300 Sport for 6 years until I changed to the GS 430 3.5 years ago! I could never see the GS 300 as a 'Wolf-in-sheeps-clothing' / 'sleeper'.

I think it just comes down to the type of car it is. A rare'ish, exec saloon. There just aren't that many things available that don't cost a lot of money. When there is a small call for something, the manufacturing costs are always higher.

There are cheap things that can be done, HIDS, tints, lowering (cheapish), roof spoiler, smoked repeaters, de-tango'ing the indicators, eyebrows, lights, stuff like that.

Exhausts start getting more expensive, but having said that, if you need a new exhaust the genuine items are frighteningly expensive (£1000+), so custom stainless steel systems are the cheap alternative (£300-500).

Coilovers are expensive, tuning the engines are expensive (the Aristo is the best starting point rather than the GS's), body kits are expensive. I've done most of the cheaper end of the scale to the 3 GS Sports I've owned, but can't justify the expense for the other stuff, I'm not into VIP'ing, which is another money pit.

I agree with what you are saying Rick and recognise your input in it and have found it fully useful.

I can't remember where I read about the 300 being a sleeper but it easily has the potential to be. My first experience of one was one of the salesmen at the Lexus showroom (where I purchased my LS400) who had bought himself an Aristo and then refitted it with a full GS300 interior. That car went like the proverbial pooh off the proverbial hot shovel :) and yet it looked absolutely standard.

What I am trying to say (and not doing a great job) is that the car is an absolute gem in todays market and updating its performance and technology is, as Rick has pointed out, is probably cheaper than turning it to standard.

I can't remember where I read about the 300 being a sleeper but it easily has the potential to be. My first experience of one was one of the salesmen at the Lexus showroom (where I purchased my LS400) who had bought himself an Aristo and then refitted it with a full GS300 interior. That car went like the proverbial pooh off the proverbial hot shovel :) and yet it looked absolutely standard.

As you say, it was an Aristo not a GS300. There is quite a difference between them. If you want a GS @Wolf-in-sheeps-clothing' you should get a GS 430 or a GS 450h......Acceleration that makes a GS 300 look ermmmmm "slow".

Still unsure on "type of driver" comment??

Hmmm not too sure on the sleeper front either, then again I am used to raw power that I get from the Impreza,

and also owner the V8 version of the Soarer a few years ago, that was indeed interesting when you opened the taps..!

I find the GS a bit more of a comfort cruiser, as for mods/work pending yes I was lucky to receive the car with tints,

custom exhaust, boot spoiler, lowered and with a brand new set of GS300 18" alloys including the spare (which is a bonus)

on the other hand, the aerial only works by hand, the speedo and rev needles don't light up, will be upgrading to HID in

the near future as well as de-tangoing the indicators, as I find the stock headlights rather poor in comparison to my other car.

then again those are minor things, all being the most annoying the fact that the needles don't light up any more

Reason why is people dont choose these cars to modify in UK often, few far between there be, it was in banzai a guy did the VIP tuning to his Aristo and someone down road from me with an Aristo is making his into a VIP'ish look as i speak, unlike in US / Japan and maybe Aus with the VIP look has taken off more than in europe!

Get it right guys! its the Supra that has the GS engine, not the other way round! the GS had it first.

It's OK if it's the Aristo the skys the limit. There is more tuning gear in the USA and it sometimes comes on ebay, but nothing cheap.

The GS 300 (JZS 147) got the engine from the Aristo(Q) JZS 147.

• 1 month later...

I have had the pleasure of driving the legendary aristo and that is a sleeper but as to the NA more of a crusier than a brusier but as we here in the UK are definately always getting taxed on everything and paying over the odds for parts compared to our counter parts in Japan/oz/USA as parts for all Jap models are readily available off the shelf weather it be performance /styling or out right outrageous Batman alloy wheels lol as with model spec we only got a couple of basic engines as our counterparts around the world enjoyed the twin Turbo 2jzgte and the 1uzfe 4wheel drive version of the gs mk1 and 2jzgte vvti mk2 gs

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links