Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I drove a few mates up to the Bike Show at the NEC (surprisingly a very good show!) in my LS. They could not believe the amount of legroom both front and rear, the electrical gagets all still work which is testament to the build quality of mine-it's nearly 17 years old and just approaching 230,000 miles and still has an excellent interior and body and is mechanically perfect. The quietness is what struck them initially, and the ride quality.

Two of them asked me loads of question about the LS's and I told them the truth-my LS has zero depreciation now, servicing (at an Lexus trained independant) is reasonable considering the car has eight cylinders, insurance (as a second car) is not too expensive and so on. On our 300 mile trip the car did 28.6 mpg and that included a number of full on, foot to the floor accelleration runs and (I must hasten to add on a private piece of land) a run up to an indicated 130 mph which they were not expecting for such a car.

They asked about common faults, so I mentioned the flickering dash, LCD blackout on the climate control readout, radio backlight failure, leaking power steering fluid and could think of not much more other than consumables. They are now both on the lookout for LS's as their lease car contracts are at, or nearly at, an end.

That then got me thinking-what % of LS's suffer these "common" faults? Previous to the LS I had an Jaguar XJ which was a nightmare and sufferred every one of the common Jaguar faults identified on the XJ Owners forums.

I think over the last 30 months my LS has cost me less that £1000 to keep running sweetly and looking good-that's over and above the purchase price and excludes insurance, tax and fuel as I'd pay that for any car. As for fuel, well, my Aprilia Dorsoduro motorbike does around 25 mpg (and it's only a 750) which has cost me more in fuel that the LS.

I wouldn't sell either now.............

That then got me thinking-what % of LS's suffer these "common" faults? Previous to the LS I had an Jaguar XJ which was a nightmare and sufferred every one of the common Jaguar faults identified on the XJ Owners forums.

Don't know about %, but I've almost got a full house now: Flickery speedo/revcounter needles, blacked out LCDs, PAS leak (and not from the O-ring as I've changed that AND put a load of instant gasket around the area). Just need the radio light to fail now I guess...

Still, all things considered, that's not bad for a +200K motor.

As another 200k+ owner I don't have the blacked out LCD.

Do have the flickering needle, lack of backlight, non-working radio though.

Don't know about PAS but coolant was leaking before and although I thought I sorted it out, the smoke out of the exhaust pipe is, how should we say, billowing.

Don't know about %, but I've almost got a full house now: Flickery speedo/revcounter needles, blacked out LCDs, PAS leak (and not from the O-ring as I've changed that AND put a load of instant gasket around the area). Just need the radio light to fail now I guess...

A member on here can fix your dash, there is an overhaul kit available for the p/s pump

a couple of hundred quid should fix it...a friend of mine just paid £132 to have a bulb replaced on his Merc. ! Get it fixed you know you want to..

For 1998 year version of Ls400, biggest problems have been with front suspension and front brakes.

Then rest of the repairs have been old car faults, like leaking seals etc.

And for most of the people that have commented, two things are mentioned always, quietness and how fast the car is:)

A member on here can fix your dash, there is an overhaul kit available for the p/s pump

a couple of hundred quid should fix it...a friend of mine just paid £132 to have a bulb replaced on his Merc. ! Get it fixed you know you want to..

Oooh, where can I get the PAS pump refurb kit? Maurice hasn't had any pumps available for ages, and mine is really starting to leak big style. I'm aware of the dash fixes, but until all the lights fail (or flicker), I'm willing to put up with it. Same with the LCD, it's been blacked out since I bought the car, the only annoyance is trying to see the time in the dark. Interestingly, after about 2 hours driving, the LCD usually starts working after a fashion - enough to read at any rate.

The thing is, this is a 200,000+ mile car now, it's got a few dents & scratches, the PAS pump is noisy & leaky... the starter motor doesn't turn off when you release the key when its cold (longest overrun time - 5s, luckily, the solenoid is disengaging the gear just fine, it's the motor that doesn't stop), fixing all the issues is going to take time & money. Having just done the timing belt & water pump, I'm kind of committed to keeping it - the only reason I might not is if I upgrade to a Mk4, but while mine remains reliable, I don't see the point. And it's still a hoot to hoof it off a roundabout in the wet for some sideways V8 action :)

"still a hoot to hoof it off a roundabout in the wet for some sideways V8 action"

Ah! The very reason I switched from my lovely Ser 3 to my (equally lovely!) Ser 4!

Traction control!

Twitched the rear frighteningly once....that was once too often!

Oooh, where can I get the PAS pump refurb kit? Maurice hasn't had any pumps available for ages, and mine is really starting to leak big style. I'm aware of the dash fixes, but until all the lights fail (or flicker), I'm willing to put up with it. Same with the LCD, it's been blacked out since I bought the car, the only annoyance is trying to see the time in the dark. Interestingly, after about 2 hours driving, the LCD usually starts working after a fashion - enough to read at any rate.

The thing is, this is a 200,000+ mile car now, it's got a few dents & scratches, the PAS pump is noisy & leaky... the starter motor doesn't turn off when you release the key when its cold (longest overrun time - 5s, luckily, the solenoid is disengaging the gear just fine, it's the motor that doesn't stop), fixing all the issues is going to take time & money. Having just done the timing belt & water pump, I'm kind of committed to keeping it - the only reason I might not is if I upgrade to a Mk4, but while mine remains reliable, I don't see the point. And it's still a hoot to hoof it off a roundabout in the wet for some sideways V8 action :)

Gasket kit for p/s is: 04446-50010 all other parts available seperately

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links