Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hiya folks

Been a little while since i was here.

Got myself a 97plate mk3 with 99k on the clock, less than a grand after knocking down the price when i spotted several issues not mentioned in the ad.

Brakes warning light on, needed new discs all round as well, 2 tyres were close to the limit, boot seal was leaking, small spot of rot just inside wheel well.

Was asking £1500 for it but bargained down to £900, and he filled it up and taxed it for 6months.

All fixed up now, tyres £320, discs / pads £220, boot seal £90 from lexus grrr, sorted all the jobs myself except putting tyres on the rims, sorted the rust spot and repainted the area in and out.

The one issue i have just noticed worries me. When driving along, the entire dash goes dead, the steering goes heavier but not like it is without power completely, no indicators or lights, no speedo or rev counter, happened 3 times in the last 2 weeks. Turn off the ignition and restart the car and all is normal as though nothing happened.

New Battery was fitted last year by Lexus.

Any ideas ?

I take it the engine remains running?

I would check the battery terminals for tightness and then all the engine earths.

Make sure the 120A engine comaprtment fuse link is sound

Yes the engine remains running, i haven't tested to see if it runs any faster than my normal driving, when it happens all i have done is to safely pull over, just in case. Battery terminals were the first thing i checked after i read on here that it could be a Battery issue. Engine earths, where are they all located?

Will check the Battery voltage with and without engine running tomorrow, also the fuses in the engine bay.

Speaking of fuses, where are the compartment fuses located, i don't seem to be able to see any panel to remove to locate them.

Hi, see my recent post here " Mk3 weird electronics problem ".

I had the same issues only a couple of weekends ago.

Mine was the result of a blown haedlight bulb.

It only happened the once and no known reason found or deciphered on here.

My engineer checked through and thought it was possibly just a " fail safe " kicking in.

Hopes; hasn't happened since thank heavens.

Malc

Hiya folks

Been a little while since i was here.

Got myself a 97plate mk3 with 99k on the clock, less than a grand after knocking down the price when i spotted several issues not mentioned in the ad.

Brakes warning light on, needed new discs all round as well, 2 tyres were close to the limit, boot seal was leaking, small spot of rot just inside wheel well.

Was asking £1500 for it but bargained down to £900, and he filled it up and taxed it for 6months.

All fixed up now, tyres £320, discs / pads £220, boot seal £90 from lexus grrr, sorted all the jobs myself except putting tyres on the rims, sorted the rust spot and repainted the area in and out.

The one issue i have just noticed worries me. When driving along, the entire dash goes dead, the steering goes heavier but not like it is without power completely, no indicators or lights, no speedo or rev counter, happened 3 times in the last 2 weeks. Turn off the ignition and restart the car and all is normal as though nothing happened.

New battery was fitted last year by Lexus.

Any ideas ?

Hi

I would check the altenator as the voltage control regulater is incorporated within and it could be faulty and overcharging the Battery . It as been reffered to as a fail safe mode but reading the electrics reference in the workshop manual of the Mark 1 I have been unable to find proof of it .

The scenario points in that direction in that as soon as a decent amount of power is taken out of the Battery the problem dissappears and returns when the Battery as charged up again.

If that occurs certain curcuit relays could have a shunt mode to save vunerable components.

hi

guys heres my 2p worth

I do have the same problem with my lex but it is very rare - probably half a dozen times in a year.

about 5 times it happened on long trips and once or twice on local short trips - this probably proves the alternator overcharging theory which is being discussed - however when it does occur i dont switch off the ignition, i just wiggle the key slightly and everything comes back - the fault does not repeat itself after that - i have always thought the fualt might be ignition related

i will keep a close eye on this thread

mark

hi

guys heres my 2p worth

I do have the same problem with my lex but it is very rare - probably half a dozen times in a year.

about 5 times it happened on long trips and once or twice on local short trips - this probably proves the alternator overcharging theory which is being discussed - however when it does occur i dont switch off the ignition, i just wiggle the key slightly and everything comes back - the fault does not repeat itself after that - i have always thought the fualt might be ignition related

mark

You never had a bulb blow or the likes ?

Malc

hi

guys heres my 2p worth

mark

Your description of the fault appears to be identical to my issue, the problem happened today on my way home from work, i tried your wiggle the ignition key, like you say, everything came back to life as though nothing had happened. One thing i did notice is this, i was driving with no music on, when the dash went dead i heard a click come from i believe the console area with the gear select sits, i did not hear a click when the dash lit back up.

With the bulb comment, the car has no blown bulbs in any location, all bulbs are the correct fitment as per handbook, the Battery is a maintenance free job.

Engine bay fuses all look to be in good condition, no crud or damage, i did pull them and reinsert in case of any poor connections on them.

Voltages across Battery

12.51v car at rest

14.20v just engine running, no lights heating etc

14.25v engine running, A/C on and set to 25*, lights on normal usage, front and rear demist on blowing at half the scale on the display

I do not have any user guide for this car such as a haynes manual so i'm working blind so to speak.

How would i check the alternator and where is it hidden away.

Do any of you have such a manual i can get a copy of, i have seen those lexus jobs on eBay and the price is well expensive

It's getting my curiosity up is this one, i don't like to lose to a car, no motorbike ever beat me so i'm not going to be beat by a car, even a lexus

The ignition switch is a good possibility, if you PM Benfur on this forum he will probbaly have a good working one. No need to change the lock as the switch can be replaced seperately.

I have a CDROM copy of the workshop manual if you want one, just PM me your address details and I'll pop it in the post.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links