Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Regarding the question of how you join the wires!

I have seen a number of fastening methods ranging from (3M) Clip locks, mounting blocks and simply twisting wires together (with and without insulation).

I don't believe that we are fully understanding about the stresses and strains placed on car wiring harnesses from the extreme temperatures and road buffeting of the car environment. If you look at the Lexus range of connectors, they are all held in place by several securing methods. Almost every connector is locked into place with a moulded clip as well as being fastened to the car body. The "bean counters" would not encourage this added security without sensible concern.

So, whilst I'm happy that people get their Po-40 control module working with their selected connection method I maintain that the best of joint is done by removing the insulation, wrapping the wires tightly, soldering and then insulating with either shrink plastic and/or insulation tape. Additionally I encourage you to bundle wires together so that you don't have them floating around behind the door panels.

My favourite tool for doing the wiring preparation is readily available and cheap. I'm attaching a data sheet that may interest you.

SplicingTool.pdf

• Like 1

So, i just did this job now and it worked, first time.

very cool indeed. I need to get door connector things (green things), i am missing a few. I also need plumbers tape to cover the spliced/joined up wires.

It is a chore and the soldering it tiresome but its a very cool mod for sure.

Your door clips should be available on fleabay .. Just wondered if you fitting a kitchen sink to your motor so it really does have everything ....!!!

Allan

yeah, well no more extras...! I am done with it lol

plumbers tape, i meant insulation tape but i never used any. I had liquid/electrical tape which did a good job. I have them clips ordered from lexus.

:)

Gosh Eric, in all the years I have supervised installations I never seen anybody break the door liner clip. I've seen plenty of clips come off the liner but I never saw any broken.

My son and I had an exciting day, we (actually he) did our first installation of the Folding Mirror Kit into the IS250 2014 model with photographs and diagrams. It's going to take me a week or so to create a working installation manual.

Once again Lexus have changed the wiring system such that we now need two Po-40 Folding Mirror control boxes installed on the driver's door (one to control each front door mirror motor). I'm going to design a new control box and see if the Bangkok boffins will create it for me.

Having said that, the 2014 is250 is one VERY impressive car!

From a style point of view the side view is sensational. The front view is controversial but the rear view is a big disappointment!

which begs the question

why is this feature not standard on a lexus? do the german marques have this?

as for the door clip, it was not really broken, one was missing and one was all smashed up/bent.

so i said i can order some, no big deal.

the mirror works a treat, just need to get the clips on next week. I got some foam/insulation stuff too to wrap the module (the type flat screen tvs are covered with, the screen part).

i used the bubble wrap from inside the packet the po-40 came delivered in to wrap the module inside the door, i thought this was part of the install procedure thats why Michael posted in this packaging.. ;) ...lol.....i like the idea that if you forget something in the car after locking it you can unlock without unfolding the mirrors again , nice touch that.....

Allan

<< why is this feature not standard on a Lexus? Do the German marques have this?>>

That is a very good question and was explained to me one time at a meeting with an Australian Lexus Product Manager. It seems that every market is offered the base car and a list of options (along with the Bean Counter's values). The Product Manager then designs the car for his market – which may or may not include features that appear in other markets.

For example, the IS250 in the United States does not have motorised mirrors at all!

By the way Eric, thank you for the pictures. I'm curious to know what the 3 switches (above the trunk and fuel release buttons) do. In my car the centre switch was a blanking piece. I have used that spot for a switch to enable/disable the hack on the satnav unit. The hack allows me to enter telephone numbers and configure the satnav while the car is moving (obviously by my passenger!!)

the switches are heater for front window, washer jets for headlights and the last one on the right is the rear sun blind

UK cars are well equipped, this lexus is absolutely full of extras, The lexus in Ireland does not have half of this stuff.

Very nice mod and such great support too

Heated washer jets? I didn't know such a thing existed or would be necessary but I now want them!

I have emailed Michael and had a great response so once I've resolved a few more major issues with my car this will be next on the list!

Allan,

your alarm, when you arm it does it blink (the red light) or stay solid? i am having problems with this intrusion sensor, its not working and not showing up on the satellite control, I think i need to reset something. when i arm the car with the fob it locks, mirrors fold..(!) and the red light stays solid, i am sure it should blink?

Hi Eric , no it wasn't James blunt it was the movement of the camera also have you got a roof on your garage ? It looks very wet in there !! I'm pretty sure the light on my dash flashes when the alarm is set, in fact I think as soon as the engine and ignition is off the light starts flashing... I will double check for you tomorrow ......

Allan

that was a jet wash facility dude.. :p

i live in an apartment block, doing mundane things like washing a car is a no for me :(

check out that light, i have no idea whats up with mine., its not showing up in satellite control also so something deffo amiss.

actually while you are at it can you check the 'auto' button on the sat nav, the one on the right most position for recirculate, does that work?

I think the problem could be to due with the ECU of the sat nav, the sat nav unit got 3 parts, the bottom is the dvd player, the top is the sat nav touch screen and middle is the ecu for the nav (with map dvd slot)

I have the following part number from my OEM unit (2008 petrol se-l)

Sat nav ECU 86421-53030

Sat Nav touch screen display 86111-53040

The touch screen itself is also attached to a PCB, I am sure my OEM one is fubared, along with the lcd panel

I am going to take off the sat nav tomorrow and see if the part numbers are different than the above ones, then i know the diesel ones are not the exact same as the petrol.

and yes, i am getting confused too.

whether this resolves my intrusion dilemma is another thing.

Hi Eric,ok i've finally got out my pit ,filled my belly with a nice bacon buttie and a cup of 'rosy lee' ,now to check out the dash lights on the car for you :- The security light comes on and flashes when i turn the engine off and the ignition, thats sitting in the car, the light stays flashing after getting out and locking the car,

the recirculating light works and when selected you can hear some sort of noise like a small motor coming from the glove box area, i presume that a motor works some sort of flap behind the glove box, all the lights on this button work when you keep pressing it, ie recirculating...auto....outside. hope this helps.....

Allan

thanks, well that is what i would expect mine to do, my light does not blink at all when you lock it, nor does the auto button work.

I think the ECU i have it programmed for a diesel or something so i am going back to the drawing board.

Eric I would not have thought sat/nav alarm or air con would change between petrol car or diesel car,maybe you've got a loose plug or wire behind the control unit ?....

Allan

you mean the sat nav? i got all the connectors hooked up, maybe its the control module for the a/c thing, that is behind the glove box but i am sure that is ok also.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links